Old 27-01-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Jim Conklin

Default Good Background Plants for 6.2 Ph, 84f, KH 3 Discus Tnak

Any help appreciated folks. I've tried Camoba, (too warm?).
Sagittaria, Vallisneria, (Giant)Hirgrass, and a couple of others. They just
wither away after about a week, turning brown and mushy. I have great luck
with ludwiga, crypts and some plant called and 'onion plant' which I think
was misnamed. (Also with Dwarf Hairgrass which took over the front of my
tank.) My lighting is 10 hrs of 2.3/gal (55 gal Tank) and I give it a
blast of 4.7/gal for about and hour or two once a day or so. 6 3" Discus,
5 Otos, 10 tetras 3 Cordys. I supplement wit CO2 about 1-2 bubbles a sec,
use Trace Potassium, Iron, Flourish. Nitrates are stable around 10 to just
below 20 ppm. 3X week 30 to 50 % water changes.

My only thought is that perhaps I'm planting them too far back against
the tank and perhaps the light can't reach them as much as the
middle/foreground?

Thanks for any tips.

Jim C.

Old 28-01-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Rich M

I've had good luck with Moneywort. It has a nice lime green color that
adds a bit of contrast. Pruning will cause them to become bushier giving
better coverage in a background. Mine do quite well in the dark spots in
my tank, they just grow a bit slower there. It is a very resilient and
undemanding plant.

Rich M

Old 02-02-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article . net,
Jim Conklin wrote:
Any help appreciated folks. I've tried Camoba, (too warm?).
Sagittaria, Vallisneria, (Giant)Hirgrass, and a couple of others. They just
wither away after about a week, turning brown and mushy. I have great luck
with ludwiga, crypts and some plant called and 'onion plant' which I think
was misnamed. (Also with Dwarf Hairgrass which took over the front of my
tank.) My lighting is 10 hrs of 2.3/gal (55 gal Tank) and I give it a
blast of 4.7/gal for about and hour or two once a day or so. 6 3" Discus,
5 Otos, 10 tetras 3 Cordys. I supplement wit CO2 about 1-2 bubbles a sec,
use Trace Potassium, Iron, Flourish. Nitrates are stable around 10 to just
below 20 ppm. 3X week 30 to 50 % water changes.

My only thought is that perhaps I'm planting them too far back against
the tank and perhaps the light can't reach them as much as the
middle/foreground?

It's the temperature. Use plants rated for uh, high heat. Tropica has a nice
little chart for each plant: http://www.tropica.com

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Water at 84F in ponds Köi-Lö Ponds 3 19-07-2006 07:21 AM
Discus are awesome! Q: temperature for Discus? Bruce Geist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 22-04-2005 03:25 AM
Foreground vs. background plants? Neil Law Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 09-08-2003 02:14 AM
Which plants for Discus tank ? KEITH JENNINGS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 03-07-2003 01:08 PM
Plants,Discus,Co2 Horst4dogranch Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:10 AM