Old 30-01-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

Default cloudy water, what could be the cause?

I've noticed over the last week the water in my aquarium has gotten a bit
mirky. In my bigger tank long time ago I remember this was a preset to an
algae bloom/green water. I'm figuring it might have something to do with my
change of ferts. Here is my stats and what I was doing for a few weeks
before the onset of the cloudiness.

Co2: 36-45ppm
GH: 6
15 gallon wide
2.7wpg
10hr photoperiod

Fert schedule:
Sunday - 50% Water change - Traces 5ml, 1/4 tsp K2SO4, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/32
tsp KH2P04
Monday
Tuesday - Traces 5ml, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp KH2P04
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday - Traces 5ml, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp KH2P04

Fearing an algae bloom I did a 75% water change on Friday (2 days ago) and
cropped algae leaves, scraped glass etc and replenished ferts....but instead
of 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 I only put in 3 or 4 grains. I'm keeping the fert
schedule the same but will be reducing the po4 down to a few grains instead
of 1/32. My fertiling was only 1/8 tsp KNO3, and 3.2ml traces before and I
increased it to 1/4 tsp KNO3 and 5ml traces. I thought the plants weren't
getting enough nitrates and traces since I was having a problem with green
spot algae on a lot of plants and it was getting frustrating.

What does anyone think? If Tom Barr is poking around I would like to
especially hear his opinion since long time ago I followed his
recomendations succesfully.

Thanks!!
Dave.

Old 30-01-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

Default added a Banana Plant - Nymphoides aquatica...

I also remembered that I added a Banana Plant Nymphoides aquatica before the
cloudiness began...maybe something weird it does to cloud the water?? I got
it for free from the LFS because it wasn't doing too well with two ratty
leaves. Now it has three huge leaves and putting down massive white roots
and growing extremely fast.

anways...thanks for any tips on the cloudy water issue,

Dave