GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   CO2 tanks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/111094-co2-tanks.html)

[email protected] 30-01-2006 09:15 PM

CO2 tanks

Has anyone tried using paintball tanks for their aquariums? I have been
considering making the jump to a pressurized system but want to spend
as little cash as possible (and still have a system worth having). It
looks like I could buy a used 20oz. paintball CO2 tank for dirt cheap!
Would this run out to fast? Are the threads compatible with
regulators/valves that are appropriate for aquarium use?

spiral_72 31-01-2006 05:45 PM

CO2 tanks

Don't they supply CO2 and oil for the gun? If so, I'd be concerned
about the oil thing. I'd be surprised if it was pure CO2. What other
gasses are present?

dacaprice 01-02-2006 03:30 AM

CO2 tanks

I was wondering about the same set up. I have the 20oz CO2 tank, the
regulator, and the reactor. I use the power vortex reactor
(http://www.plantguild.com/html/power...x_reactor.html) with a yeast
brew. The reactor is awesome. I purchased the regulator off of ebay
and the tank I have from my paintball days.

The problem I've run into now is the sleeve on the regulator is too
large for the for the 20oz tank. I don't know if there is an adapter
of any sort and could not find one. So I kind of left that project
dead in the water. I also do not know if the 20oz canister will
provide enough pressure to even register on the regulator.

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of
mixing yeast every few weeks.

KStringer 06-02-2006 10:53 PM

CO2 tanks

I use a 10 Gallon CO2 tank for a 180G planted aquarium. It lasts about
2-3 months. I couldn't tell you if the threads are compatible becausee
I bought the whole set up as a kit.

sylvan butler 09-02-2006 12:49 AM

CO2 tanks

On 31 Jan 2006 19:30:41 -0800, dacaprice wrote:
The problem I've run into now is the sleeve on the regulator is too
large for the for the 20oz tank. I don't know if there is an adapter

Yes, the regulator designed for large tanks is not compatible with the
fitting on the little paintball tanks. I've not seen any adaptor "ready
to use" but have seen people build adaptors (fitting for the tank, some
plumbing bits, careful, you are working with high pressure).

of any sort and could not find one. So I kind of left that project
dead in the water. I also do not know if the 20oz canister will
provide enough pressure to even register on the regulator.

The pressure is the same as the large tanks. CO2 is stored under
pressure as a liquid (that is why it makes a nice paintball propellant,
liquid means a lot more stuff in the tank). Liquification pressure
depends on temperature, but is, IIRC, 600psi - 800psi at normal room
temperatures.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com