Old 06-02-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default New Shrimp Pics Posted

I finally got off my lazy butt and posted a few pics of Atyopsis moluccensis and Attya gabonese,
the latter being the most scretive shrimp I've ever had, but also the most personality. You
would swear they're the smartest shrimp around too.

People feed these things? I don't, they just live in a big planted tank. I have caught Atyopsis
moluccensis on film (err, on chip really) using their fans to gather food from the aquarium floor
and have captured them eating a white worm so I guess they're not ONLY filter feedrs.

I have some movies of them "fanning", once I can get them in to a format (mpg) that everybody
can see I'll post them and let y'all know. (if anybody knows where I can get a free MJPEG
codec for W98, please lemme know... Ihave to jump through hoops to play back these
wavelet videos from a Fuji A101.

http://images.aquaria.net/invertebra...aceans/shrimp/

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 06-02-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

I finally got off my lazy butt and posted a few pics of Atyopsis
moluccensis and Attya gabonese,
the latter being the most scretive shrimp I've ever had, but also the most
personality. You
would swear they're the smartest shrimp around too.

People feed these things? I don't, they just live in a big planted tank. I
have caught Atyopsis
moluccensis on film (err, on chip really) using their fans to gather food
from the aquarium floor
and have captured them eating a white worm so I guess they're not ONLY
filter feedrs.

I have some movies of them "fanning", once I can get them in to a format
(mpg) that everybody
can see I'll post them and let y'all know. (if anybody knows where I can
get a free MJPEG
codec for W98, please lemme know..

Ask this on alt.comp.freeware. That group is fantastic for recommending
things that are not only free but often hard to find yourself.

.. Ihave to jump through hoops to play back these
wavelet videos from a Fuji A101.

http://images.aquaria.net/invertebra...aceans/shrimp/

I loved the pics. :-) Unfortunately shrimp and GF don't get along. The GF
are convinced the shrimp are food.... :-(
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 07-02-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
NetMax

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

[...]

Ditto, and I'm going to have an empty aquarium soon, but -
.... what shrimp would like my 8.4pH, 13dkH, 16dgH water (?
...and then what fish could I put in that wouldn't eat the shrimp?

I'm going to have to set up a tank at work soon, with nice soft city
water.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 07-02-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

=======
Ditto, and I'm going to have an empty aquarium soon, but -
... what shrimp would like my 8.4pH, 13dkH, 16dgH water (?
..and then what fish could I put in that wouldn't eat the shrimp?

I had some glass/grass shrimp at one time (I may have the name wrong) and
they did well in my water with a PH of 78. to 8.4 and a GH of 300+.
Unfortunately even the guppies would nibble their feelers annoying them, so
I gave them away.... that was after the GF experience. I found that the
livebearers found them irresistible to nibble at, and the GF would actually
try and swallow them. I'm thinking shrimp may be happiest in a shrimp only
tank.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Melissa Danforth

In rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants NetMax wrote:

: Ditto, and I'm going to have an empty aquarium soon, but -
: ... what shrimp would like my 8.4pH, 13dkH, 16dgH water (?
: ..and then what fish could I put in that wouldn't eat the shrimp?

: I'm going to have to set up a tank at work soon, with nice soft city
: water.

I've kept Amano and a single rhino shrimp in water that was about that hard
and a higher pH for a couple years. Their tankmates were a betta in one tank
and Ameca splendens in another. I'm actually in the process of bringing the
tank they're all now in down to match the water parameters I get out of the
tap at my new location (pH 7.2, approx. 3dKH and 3dGH). The TDS difference
was so pronounced (old was 600 average, current is 200 average) that I put
rift lake cichlid salts in all my tanks on setup here to match the parameters
of the old tap and minimize osmotic shock.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
NetMax

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, considering Amanos require brackish water for their spawns to
survive, that might be a possibility.

Wouldn't that be a twist. If successful, I'd be feeding my other fish
with excess Amanos (and they sell for $5 each around here).
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 07-02-2006, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

I loved the pics. :-) Unfortunately shrimp and GF don't get along.
The GF are convinced the shrimp are food.... :-(

Odd, the local store keps ammanos with goldfish.

Ditto, and I'm going to have an empty aquarium soon, but -
... what shrimp would like my 8.4pH, 13dkH, 16dgH water (?
..and then what fish could I put in that wouldn't eat the shrimp?

I'm going to have to set up a tank at work soon, with nice soft city
water.

They like hard water - they're crustaceans and need the calcium to build
new exoskeletons which they shed when they moult.

Other than the filter feeding shrimp which get about 3 inches at best
most srimp are pretty small. Ammanos get to be 2" at best but the
rest are less than an inch.

With small algae eating shrimp small tetras rasboras or the like
work, with ammanos anything smaller than them or not voraceous
will work. Things that eat shrimp in the wild are a problem (angels)
but things like hatchetfish wouldn't know what to do with them.

Did I mention killifish today yet? They go real well with killies
in face the Singapore guys have found they'll clean killi eggs without
hurting the, so they keep a few in each tank. A. australe doesn't bother
shrimp half their size. Gularis think they're right yummy but then gularis are
like that.

Aplocheilichthys normani is a great addition to a shrimp tank, it's
my current favorite planted tank inhabitant. New pics poisted tonight:

http://images.killi.net/n/NOR/

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

I've kept Amano and a single rhino shrimp in water that was about that hard
and a higher pH for a couple years. Their tankmates were a betta in one tank

I tried that too. Worked for months till the Betta ate the rhino shrimp.
Bummer, those were my favorites.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 07-02-2006, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mary Burns

[...]

I have 4 amano shrimp with my clowns, already a good 2", who often mix with
the c.julli cories, working away on top of tree trunk home for clowns. The
clowns haven't eaten them and don't bother them at all. I love the way they
use their many legs to swim. It is easy to see these ones. There are 3 in
45g with 2 spawning angels, just as big, but remain more hidden in the
plants during the day, lower down and always together. They do keep these
tanks looking good, because both these tanks get more food than others, the
spawning angels get lunch as she spawns every 5 to 7 days, and my clowns
always have a veggie/algae wafer lunch extra, just starting to get deeper
bodies as well as growing. Mary

Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Melissa Danforth

In rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants NetMax wrote:
: "Melissa Danforth" wrote in message
: and Ameca splendens in another. I'm actually in the process of bringing
: the
: tank they're all now in down to match the water parameters I get out of
: the
: tap at my new location (pH 7.2, approx. 3dKH and 3dGH). The TDS
: difference
: was so pronounced (old was 600 average, current is 200 average) that I
: put
: rift lake cichlid salts in all my tanks on setup here to match the
: parameters
: of the old tap and minimize osmotic shock.

: Hmm, considering Amanos require brackish water for their spawns to
: survive, that might be a possibility.

Rift lake cichlid salt doesn't so much affect the salinity as it does
the total dissolved solids, so I don't think it would help any in the
survival rates of the larva in-tank. You'd still have to remove them
to a brakish tank. Remember that "salt" is a generic chemistry term
for ion compounds. In the case of rift lake salt, the ions contained
are mostly calcium, magnesium, carbonates and sulfates, along with
various trace elements. Not much sodium or chloride as would be needed
for salinity. But I've never had an Amano spawn. It would seem the local
shop I got them from in Davis never sold a female shrimp or I have just
never noticed a shrimp carrying eggs in over 3 years of having them.
When comparing their spot patterns, all seem identical. I seem to recall
female Amanos have a slightly different spot pattern. So I have to wonder
if the shop or its supplier was taking females out of the mix. But
definately no new shrimp, still just 11 Amano and the 1 rhino shrimp as
of the move last month.