Old 07-02-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Shorty

Default What type of fluorescent tubes for planted tank?

I have a triple T8 strip light. It came with full spectrum 8000K tubes.
I'm wondering whether I should replace some of them by other types for
a planted tank.
How about leaving one in, adding one 6500K and one 5000K?

Also, I know that a lot of power compacts come with moon lights (LEDs).
Is there something similar that I can add to my setup so that I can
look at my fish at night (without providing too much light and
encouraging algae growth)? Will a regular black light work?

Thank you

Old 07-02-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Altum

Amano uses 8000K. Count your blessings! If you really don't want
them, send them to me. ;-)

Old 08-02-2006, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.
Shorty wrote:
I have a triple T8 strip light. It came with full spectrum 8000K
tubes. I'm wondering whether I should replace some of them by other
types for a planted tank.
How about leaving one in, adding one 6500K and one 5000K?

Also, I know that a lot of power compacts come with moon lights
(LEDs). Is there something similar that I can add to my setup so that
I can look at my fish at night (without providing too much light and
encouraging algae growth)? Will a regular black light work?

Thank you

I use blue leds connected in series with an appropriate (470 ohms? I think)
resistor in series with each and a 12 volts wall brick power supply. Good
luck and later!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
Shorty wrote:
I have a triple T8 strip light. It came with full spectrum 8000K tubes.
I'm wondering whether I should replace some of them by other types for
a planted tank. How about leaving one in, adding one 6500K and one 5000K?

I don't know of any good reason to. Plants don't care about light color,
people do. Do whatever you think looks good.

Also, I know that a lot of power compacts come with moon lights (LEDs).
Is there something similar that I can add to my setup so that I can
look at my fish at night (without providing too much light and
encouraging algae growth)? Will a regular black light work?

No.

But you can add LEDs.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 08-02-2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Eric

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:53:09 -0600, Richard Sexton wrote
(in article ):

I don't know of any good reason to. Plants don't care about light color,
people do. Do whatever you think looks good.

I always thought plants did care about light color. For instance, plants
don't absorb much green light (that's why they look green) so shining a lot
of green light on them is useless.

-E

Old 08-02-2006, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Richard Sexton

In article lobal.net,
Eric wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:53:09 -0600, Richard Sexton wrote
(in article ):

I don't know of any good reason to. Plants don't care about light color,
people do. Do whatever you think looks good.

I always thought plants did care about light color. For instance, plants
don't absorb much green light (that's why they look green) so shining a lot
of green light on them is useless.

Turns out not.

I spent years trying to find the optimal light color tamperatures
and wavelengths and thought I'd found the answer in the
Kent State Press book "Lighting for plant growth" which
was a) the result of a PhD thesis and b) when and where
gro lux tubs were invented. (Ironically GE supplied them
with tubes they specified, then they sold the thing to
Sylvania).

But, trying years later to back this up I found that that
work was not given much credence, and in more than one
place where scientists were taking measurements on plant
growth I kept seeing the phrase "we found warm white to work
the best of any tube we tried (shrug)" and I've used warm
white ever since. I've tried almost every tube known
and they do seem to be right. People care about light color,
plants don't.

There are minor diferences, red gives slightly more elongated
growth white bluye gives more bush growth, but it's difficult
to notice much of a difference IME.

I thought I could manipulate the color of plants by light
color, but no, it's light intensity that does that it seems.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

Already cross-posted.

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article lobal.net,
I thought I could manipulate the color of plants by light
color, but no, it's light intensity that does that it seems.

The one tube I can't stand is the one that gives a bluish or purple look to
everything. I had these once and gave them away.
BTW, I didn't see where the plants did any better.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952