Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Shorty

Default Blue-green algae / cyanobacteria? Or is it something else?

I think I have blue-green algae in my tank (cyanobacteria). The problem
is that it's not green at all. It's brown in color. It seems to behave
like blue-green algae because it's usually in the spots with little
water movement, on the gravel and hanging on anacharis/elodea and
surrounding my hairgrass. It's like brown spiderweb hanging on the
plants. On the gravel it looks like some fuzzy stuff. I know it's not
hair algae because I have some hair algae on my anubias.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Shorty" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think I have blue-green algae in my tank (cyanobacteria). The problem
is that it's not green at all. It's brown in color.

This stuff is a nightmare. I have it in one of my 55g tanks and can't get
rid of it. It started out looking like almost black soot and now is a deep
reddish brown. Adding extra light to encourage green algae made it grow
even faster. :-( It's starting to kill off the plants in the tank that
were thriving before the invasion.

It seems to behave
like blue-green algae because it's usually in the spots with little
water movement, on the gravel and hanging on anacharis/elodea and
surrounding my hairgrass.

Eventually it will cover everything, smothering the plants to death.

It's like brown spiderweb hanging on the
plants. On the gravel it looks like some fuzzy stuff. I know it's not
hair algae because I have some hair algae on my anubias.

Maybe someone has the answer how to get rid of this stuff.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 08-02-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
Shorty wrote:
I think I have blue-green algae in my tank (cyanobacteria). The problem
is that it's not green at all. It's brown in color. It seems to behave
like blue-green algae because it's usually in the spots with little
water movement, on the gravel and hanging on anacharis/elodea and
surrounding my hairgrass. It's like brown spiderweb hanging on the
plants. On the gravel it looks like some fuzzy stuff. I know it's not
hair algae because I have some hair algae on my anubias.

If it were me I'd change 80% of the water for two days (algae likes
contant coditions, you can "shock" it to death or at least hurt it
badly) then fertilize properly with macro and micronutrients
and use Flourish Excel. If should be gone in about 4 days if
you do this.

And I do do this.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Already cross-posted and I don't know where you're posting from.

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

If it were me I'd change 80% of the water for two days (algae likes
contant coditions, you can "shock" it to death or at least hurt it
badly) then fertilize properly with macro and micronutrients
and use Flourish Excel. If should be gone in about 4 days if
you do this.

=====================
This was already suggested and it makes this stuff grow even FASTER than
ever. It seems to love nothing better than a water change and fertilizer.
Doubling the light also gave it a boost. There has to be some other
answer......... Maybe you're talking about a different type of
algae/bacteria/diatom.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:
Already cross-posted and I don't know where you're posting from.

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

If it were me I'd change 80% of the water for two days (algae likes
contant coditions, you can "shock" it to death or at least hurt it
badly) then fertilize properly with macro and micronutrients
and use Flourish Excel. If should be gone in about 4 days if
you do this.

=====================
This was already suggested and it makes this stuff grow even FASTER than
ever. It seems to love nothing better than a water change and fertilizer.
Doubling the light also gave it a boost. There has to be some other
answer......... Maybe you're talking about a different type of
algae/bacteria/diatom.

Suggested? I'm telling you my experience.

And no, I'm talking about all algae. I've done this many many times and
it has yet to fail.

You need to get all the dirt out of the tank too, but that goes
without saying.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Shorty

I read that cyanobacteria doesn't like water movement and oxygen. I
also read in some places that it appears when nitrates are very low.

I will do a partial water change... and get more water movement and
aeration. I was minimizing aeration to keep the CO2 in the tank but it
might be better to increase CO2 injection and aerate at the same time.
I will also add more nitrate in addition to the regular amounts.

Will let you know what happens.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
NetMax

"Shorty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read that cyanobacteria doesn't like water movement and oxygen. I
also read in some places that it appears when nitrates are very low.

I will do a partial water change... and get more water movement and
aeration. I was minimizing aeration to keep the CO2 in the tank but it
might be better to increase CO2 injection and aerate at the same time.
I will also add more nitrate in addition to the regular amounts.

Will let you know what happens.

It doesn't sound like cynobacteria. I think someone had a good algae ID web
page on their site, Mike?
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 09-02-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
NetMax

"NetMax" wrote in message
"Shorty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read that cyanobacteria doesn't like water movement and oxygen. I
also read in some places that it appears when nitrates are very low.

I will do a partial water change... and get more water movement and
aeration. I was minimizing aeration to keep the CO2 in the tank but it
might be better to increase CO2 injection and aerate at the same time.
I will also add more nitrate in addition to the regular amounts.

Will let you know what happens.

It doesn't sound like cynobacteria. I think someone had a good algae
ID web page on their site, Mike?
--
www.NetMax.tk

Home now and with my bookmarks handy (which should really be easier to
move between computers!). Here is the link I was thinking of:
http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/algae_g...htm#Bushy_alga
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 09-02-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Koi-Lo wrote:
Already cross-posted and I don't know where you're posting from.

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

If it were me I'd change 80% of the water for two days (algae likes
contant coditions, you can "shock" it to death or at least hurt it
badly) then fertilize properly with macro and micronutrients
and use Flourish Excel. If should be gone in about 4 days if
you do this.

=====================
This was already suggested and it makes this stuff grow even FASTER than
ever. It seems to love nothing better than a water change and fertilizer.
Doubling the light also gave it a boost. There has to be some other
answer......... Maybe you're talking about a different type of
algae/bacteria/diatom.

Suggested? I'm telling you my experience.

Sorry, I don't remember who suggest it. I didn't mean you did.

And no, I'm talking about all algae. I've done this many many times and
it has yet to fail.

You need to get all the dirt out of the tank too, but that goes
without saying.

The gravel is thoroughly vacuumed twice a month like the 55 that doesn't
have the problem. These 2 tanks are set up side by side (on the same day)
with everything being equal, yet one has a harmless green algae and the
other this nasty looking black stuff. :-( I don't want to waste money
adding more plants when I know this stuff will grow over them and smother
them.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Shorty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read that cyanobacteria doesn't like water movement and oxygen. I
also read in some places that it appears when nitrates are very low.

There is a large Aquaclear on the tank and a powerhead/aerator at one end
that causes a good circular current in the tank. This also helps keep
"crud" in circulation - better to be picked up by the filter. Nitrates stay
around 20ppm. I don't have the kits to measure potassium and phosphates.
The 55g right next to it, set up exactly the same, has a nice green algae.
This is a real mystery to me. None of the other tanks have this nasty
stuff, all have normal green algae.

I will do a partial water change... and get more water movement and
aeration. I was minimizing aeration to keep the CO2 in the tank but it
might be better to increase CO2 injection and aerate at the same time.
I will also add more nitrate in addition to the regular amounts.

Will let you know what happens.

Yes, keep us informed.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Suggested? I'm telling you my experience.

Sorry, I don't remember who suggest it. I didn't mean you did.

No I rememebr the guy that did. He was the only one and he's missing
something.

And no, I'm talking about all algae. I've done this many many times and
it has yet to fail.

You need to get all the dirt out of the tank too, but that goes
without saying.

The gravel is thoroughly vacuumed twice a month like the 55 that doesn't
have the problem. These 2 tanks are set up side by side (on the same day)
with everything being equal, yet one has a harmless green algae and the
other this nasty looking black stuff. :-( I don't want to waste money
adding more plants when I know this stuff will grow over them and smother
them.

Well, there's ammonia in there or you wouldn't have algae and it is algae
(or diatoms, same deal).

Remove all you can.

Change 80% of the water for two days.

Add Flourish excel. Fetilize with PMDD.

Do buy new plants, they'l be ok, honest. Hornwort would be best. Lots of it.
(unless your fish eat it, floating water sprint would be good too).

in the green tank, blackitout for 3 days then do the above. If you
do all thse things and don't miss one it shoudl be fine. That's
really all I do and it only takes a few days to bring the worst tank
to crystal clear newness. And I've had more filty green tanks than
Cartes has pills.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

Well, there's ammonia in there or you wouldn't have algae and it is algae
(or diatoms, same deal).

A test the other day showed Nitrates at 20ppm and ammonia at 0.

Remove all you can.

Change 80% of the water for two days.

Add Flourish excel. Fetilize with PMDD.

OK, I have the Flourish excel but what is PMDD?

Do buy new plants, they'l be ok, honest. Hornwort would be best. Lots of
it.
(unless your fish eat it, floating water sprint would be good too).

All my hornwart died in the last 3 months after YEARS of thriving in my
pools, ponds and tanks. It's not always easy to find here. It just stopped
growing in *all* the tanks, looked sicker and more miserable until I tossed
it. That's another thing that's really weird. What would make all the
hornwart suddenly fail? I bought the original clump back in 1989 when I was
living in town.

in the green tank, blackitout for 3 days then do the above. If you
do all thse things and don't miss one it shoudl be fine. That's
really all I do and it only takes a few days to bring the worst tank
to crystal clear newness. And I've had more filty green tanks than
Cartes has pills.

The small amount of green algae doesn't bother me in the other tanks. It's
the tank with the blackish red sooty crap that's got me bugged.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

All my hornwart died in the last 3 months after YEARS of thriving in my
pools, ponds and tanks. It's not always easy to find here. It just stopped
growing in *all* the tanks, looked sicker and more miserable until I tossed
it. That's another thing that's really weird. What would make all the
hornwart suddenly fail? I bought the original clump back in 1989 when I was
living in town.

Just like a car engine needs fuel, spark air, plants need light, food
and water. It didn't have one of them. Given you have algae I'd say food;
it stareved to death by running out of some nutrient.

I'm not aware of any chemical naturally (or unnaturally) exisint
in water that will kill hornwort. For example mosses are very sensitive
to sulphates. I've never heard hornwort is - doesn'[t mean that's the
case,I've just never heard it.

The small amount of green algae doesn't bother me in the other tanks. It's
the tank with the blackish red sooty crap that's got me bugged.

Excel should turn this white almost overnight. Despite the warning not to you
can safely double dose. There's a healthy safety margin built into this
stuff.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 09-02-2006, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

[...]

==================
Thanks I'll let you know how this turns out. I have to order more.....
take about a week to get here.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Blue-green algae / cyanobacteria? Or is it something else? = PMDD

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

Add Flourish excel. Fetilize with PMDD.

Is PMDD a separate product? The catalog doesn't say. If so, what is PMDD
and were do I get it?