GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   3D backgrounds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/111440-3d-backgrounds.html)

John H. 08-02-2006 09:52 PM

3D backgrounds

I'm looking for info on how to make your own 3D backround, out of styrofoam
or whatever?
thanks

Richard Sexton 08-02-2006 09:58 PM

3D backgrounds

In article ,
John H. wrote:
I'm looking for info on how to make your own 3D backround, out of styrofoam
or whatever?
thanks

The basic idea is get a big block of foam, extruede or expanded. Sculpt
with a knife or propane torch. Coat with marine safe epoxy resin, glue
into tank.

The book "The Living Aquarium" and the "Todays Aquarium" (Dupla)
magazines from the 80's have illustrated instructions. But that's
it in a nutshell.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

richard_b 08-02-2006 11:06 PM

3D backgrounds

Check out netmax's site on
http://www.2cah.com/netmax/diy_proje...ulptures.shtml

he has a new sculpture under construction as well but it is not documented
on this page.

Cheers

Richard

Koi-Lo 09-02-2006 04:37 AM

3D backgrounds

"John H." wrote in message
I'm looking for info on how to make your own 3D backround, out of
styrofoam or whatever?
thanks

================
I was thinking to the Styrofoam chiseled background for OUTSIDE the tank to
save space inside the tank. Is that what you mean? In the 1960s they sold
a 3-D background made of plastic that looked like rockwork for *outside* the
tank. It had an adhesive along the edges. I loved these backgrounds but
for some reason they stopped making them The ones I had lasted well over
15 years.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Richard Sexton 09-02-2006 06:01 AM

3D backgrounds

I was thinking to the Styrofoam chiseled background for OUTSIDE the tank to
save space inside the tank. Is that what you mean? In the 1960s they sold
a 3-D background made of plastic that looked like rockwork for *outside* the
tank. It had an adhesive along the edges. I loved these backgrounds but
for some reason they stopped making them The ones I had lasted well over
15 years.

Oh they still make them. Some of them are $700 now. Yeeow.

Outside isn't anywhere nearly as realiztic looking as inside and you
don't have to make it real thick.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Koi-Lo 09-02-2006 06:31 AM

3D backgrounds

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
I was thinking to the Styrofoam chiseled background for OUTSIDE the tank
save space inside the tank. Is that what you mean? In the 1960s they
sold
a 3-D background made of plastic that looked like rockwork for *outside*
the
tank. It had an adhesive along the edges. I loved these backgrounds but
for some reason they stopped making them The ones I had lasted well over
15 years.

Oh they still make them. Some of them are $700 now. Yeeow.

Wow,... that's pretty incredible. They were no more than $10 back in the
60s (in NYC).