Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
PiperJason

Default Java Fern/Moss

Hey all, I've been lurking around here a few days and now I have a
question about the plants in my tank. For starters all I have is a 2.5
gal tank with one betta in it lit by a 20watt halogen desk lamp. I have
water sprites and some other kind of floating plant covering a good
part of the tank surface. Those are growing like there is no tomorrow.
My problems are below the surface.

First I bought some java moss thinking it would carpet the bottom of my
tank in no time. Well it just doesn't seem to grow much at all, and is
surely isn't really grabbing onto the gravel much at all. Secondly, my
java ferns don't seem to be growing much themselves, but throwing
plantlets off like crazy. I put a peice of drift wood in the tank for
the ferns to latch onto, but they dont seem to grab ahold. My betta
keeps rubbing on the wood tearing its fins so I think I'm going to take
the wood out. As such, I was wondering how well the fern will grow on
the substrated. I've read enough to know to not bury the rhizome, and
it seems that few of the larger sections of ferns have enough density
to sink and stand on their own with just a little help. Thus, is it
possible to grow the java fern this way, lightly on the gravel bottom.
The gravel is rather small in diameter, and natural rock, not painted
fancy stuff, it looks like its a lot of quartz also.

To top off my frustration, I have algae on all sides of the tank. I
only feed the fish a bit in the morning and at night, and he eats all I
give him in under a minute... Any advice is greatly apprechiated.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve

PiperJason wrote:
[...]

I've had great success with Java moss. Just put a couple of pebbles in
it to make it stay on the gravel. To attach to driftwood you can use
pebbles to hold it down and/or hook it over spiky parts of the wood.

Java moss is low-light but it does require SOME light, say a watt per
gallon fluorescent or lower light plus indirect sunlight. The water
sprite is probably shading the moss too much. Placing the tank where
daylight can get in through the side may help.

Sorry I know little about Java fern but perhaps more light/ less shading
will help it too.
Steve
Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Sounds underlit and underfed. I have a similar setup on my desk and
use a 13 watt daylight fluorescent and the moss grows ok.[1] With an
18W (screw in) it gorws better but it's a bit glaring so I backed it
down.

Get some Tropica Master Grow. That'll feed the plants.

[1] You should see this stuff bust out in a well lit highly
fetilized tank. Yow.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
PiperJason

I thought that this stuff doesn't need that much light... also trying
to find a light fixture for this tank is going to be hard since its so
small. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
PiperJason

I thought that this stuff doesn't need that much light... also trying
to find a light fixture for this tank is going to be hard since its so
small. Do you have any suggestions?

Also since the algae is popping up I didn't think I had a nutrients
problem. I don't mind putting plant food in the tank, but I don't want
my algae to blow up either...

Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
PiperJason wrote:
I thought that this stuff doesn't need that much light... also trying
to find a light fixture for this tank is going to be hard since its so
small. Do you have any suggestions?

Sort of, but no.

"Low light plants" like mosses, java ferns, Anubias and Cryptocorynes
will all grow in low light. But, in the wild they're found in full
sun and do better - spectacularly so - with more light.

"Can grow in dim light" is not the same as "prefers dim light".
As far as I know there are no aquatic plants that prefer dim light.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
PiperJason

Richard, thanks for the tips. My next question is how would I go about
putting more light in this smallish tank? I do have some heat lamp
fixures for my geckos that I no longer use (I switched to heat pads
since they are ground dwellers). I suppose I could go get a 20 or
30watt day incandecent heat bulb. Would that work? of course I'd rather
go flourescent, but its such a small tank...

Old 10-02-2006, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
PiperJason wrote:
Richard, thanks for the tips. My next question is how would I go about
putting more light in this smallish tank? I do have some heat lamp
fixures for my geckos that I no longer use (I switched to heat pads
since they are ground dwellers). I suppose I could go get a 20 or
30watt day incandecent heat bulb. Would that work? of course I'd rather
go flourescent, but its such a small tank...

You're not going to get anywhere with incandescent, it's pretty
much useless for growing aquarium plants.

They make screw in fluorescents in daylight color as well as the
standard warm white. This gives you a lot of flexability since
they'll screw into any fixture that will take an incandescent.

So yo canuse a desk lamp or whatever you have lying around or
can scrounge.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 10-02-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

On 9 Feb 2006 18:00:39 -0800, "PiperJason"
wrote:

Richard, thanks for the tips. My next question is how would I go about
putting more light in this smallish tank? I do have some heat lamp
fixures for my geckos that I no longer use (I switched to heat pads
since they are ground dwellers). I suppose I could go get a 20 or
30watt day incandecent heat bulb. Would that work? of course I'd rather
go flourescent, but its such a small tank...

I use 13 Watt compact fluorescent bulbs on my 2.5 G tanks. The 13W
bright Kits from AH Supply are good.

http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm

Right now I am still using the old incandescent hoods that I changed
to fluorescent, I'm in the process of making new ones from rain gutter
material.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

wrote:

Richard, thanks for the tips. My next question is how would I go about
putting more light in this smallish tank? I do have some heat lamp
fixures for my geckos that I no longer use (I switched to heat pads
since they are ground dwellers). I suppose I could go get a 20 or
30watt day incandecent heat bulb. Would that work? of course I'd rather
go flourescent, but its such a small tank...

I use 13 Watt compact fluorescent bulbs on my 2.5 G tanks. The 13W
bright Kits from AH Supply are good.

http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm

Right now I am still using the old incandescent hoods that I changed
to fluorescent, I'm in the process of making new ones from rain gutter
material.

Yeah that works. What I do is find ols incandescent canopies in
yard sales of thrift shops (a dollor or two) and line them
with waterproof/hatproof mylar from hydroponics.com then
put in screwin fluorescents.

You can rape one hood and add those lights to the first one
and get 4 lights in most hoods.

They can't come close to a tube or compact fluprescent in
terms of lighting goodness, but for shallow(ish) tanks they
work fine.

Here's a pic:

http://images.aquaria.net/hw/lights/screwins/

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dogma Discharge

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

"Can grow in dim light" is not the same as "prefers dim light".
As far as I know there are no aquatic plants that prefer dim light.

I was under the impression that most aquatic plants are shade lovers. Except
when it comes to certain stem plants.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 10-02-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
PiperJason

Thanks for the input about the lighting. Now what about the growing the
Java Fern on the gravel? Possible? Not possible?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dogma Discharge

If you bury the Rhizome it will rot. Tie the rhizome to a small rock or
attach it to driftwood.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

oups.com...

Old 10-02-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Dogma Discharge" wrote in message
"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

"Can grow in dim light" is not the same as "prefers dim light".
As far as I know there are no aquatic plants that prefer dim light.

I was under the impression that most aquatic plants are shade lovers.
Except
when it comes to certain stem plants.

==============================
Since most lakes, ponds and streams are out in the open I would think they'd
be sun or partial-sun lovers.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 10-02-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article , Dogma Discharge wrote:
"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

"Can grow in dim light" is not the same as "prefers dim light".
As far as I know there are no aquatic plants that prefer dim light.

I was under the impression that most aquatic plants are shade lovers. Except
when it comes to certain stem plants.

Nah. Here's some pics of biotopes of Cryptocoryne, a plant everybody
knows is a "dim light" plant:

http://crypts.ptr.aquaria.net/Crypto...peatmatang.jpg
http://crypts.ptr.aquaria.net/Crypto...rieder_x_1.jpg
http://crypts.ptr.aquaria.net/Crypto..._Chan_x_UT.jpg

"At this more or less sheltered spot C. affinis develops rather big leaves."
http://crypts.ptr.aquaria.net/Crypto...805_x_2515.jpg

"Much more C. affinis is found in the riverbed where they grow fully exposed to the sun"
http://crypts.ptr.aquaria.net/Crypto...805_x_2519.jpg

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net