Old 24-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Compresses CO2 not PH monitored?

Does anyone out there have a setup where they use compressed CO2 instead of
DIY stuff but still inject it without any sort of automated PH sensor to
control everything? I like the idea of adding the CO2 to my tank but I
don't like the DIY way, however, I don't like the fully automated way either
(cost and PH sensor maintance), so I tought I would do it like the DIY guys
do it (simply control it via a needle valve, correct?) and use a compressed
CO2 tank. Anybody try this, does it work ok in practice? Looking for
feedback on the idea.

Thanks,
Harry

Old 24-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Andrew Roberts

Harry Muscle wrote:
Does anyone out there have a setup where they use compressed CO2 instead of
DIY stuff but still inject it without any sort of automated PH sensor to
control everything? I like the idea of adding the CO2 to my tank but I

I use this method. I use a needle valve to control CO2 flow to an Eheim
diffusor in my 29 gallon tank. With a KH of 5 degrees, I get a pH swing
of perhaps .2 daily, and I've never had any problems with running the
CO2 24 hours a day.

HTH

Old 24-03-2003, 09:56 PM
LeighMo

Does anyone out there have a setup where they use compressed CO2 instead of
DIY stuff but still inject it without any sort of automated PH sensor to
control everything?

Most of us use this method. IMO, a pH controller isn't worth the hassle unless
you're raising discus in a planted tank or something.

Leigh

Old 27-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Bob Alston

I also use compressed CO2 without any pH regulator. However, I recommend
the Dupla CO2 monitor. I say this because of an accident when the CO2 level
got way to high and almost wiped out my 55 gallon tank of fish. Now, with
the Dupla, I can just glance to confirm "green=CO2 is ok"

While I am at it, here is what I got for my CO2 setup, sources and other
suggestions:
Tank

Rapids Wholesale - Co2 kits - 5-lb new steel tank with dual gauge regulators
$99 (#BD435)
http://rapidswholesale.net/Merchant2...tore_Code=RWOC
AS&Product_Code=BD435

Needle Valve
Florida driftwood - needle valve used in medical gases $19.50
Appears to be Clippard MNV-4K2 (4k2 has an 1/8 hose barb included)

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?3=51

Also needs a ¼" NPT male to 1/8" NPT female adaptor (Clippard #15006-5) to
connect the valve directly to the regulator.

Can probably get where you fill co2 gas.

CO2 Reactor

Plant Guild Power Reactor

http://www.familychest.com/plantguil..._reactors.html

Note some online aquarium stores now carry the larger version of this, which
is what I have.

CO2 Level Monitor

Dupla monitor - Dupla CO2 Dauertest

http://www.dupla.com/start_e.htm

NOTES

You may be able to buy the Clippard needle valve - MNV-4K2 from a local
Clippard distributor. Check their web site
www.Clippard.com

To add a second 1/8-inch needle connector on the Clippard you need the
following parts from Clippard:

#15004 - Female Hex Connector - convert the 10-32 male inlet port to a 10-32
female

#11752 - 10-32 to 1/8 inch hose

Some people use other co2 reactors/diffusers. Lots of variety here so do
some more research on the web.

My 5 lb tank lasts about 8 months.

Be sure to look at local welding supply companies and at home brewing supply
stores for tank and regulator. Certainly will save shipping (partly offset
with tax).

--
Bob Alston
918.494.4913

Old 27-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Ian Smith

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:43:14 -0500, Harry Muscle fake@AT wrote:

Does anyone out there have a setup where they use compressed CO2 instead of
DIY stuff but still inject it without any sort of automated PH sensor to
control everything?

Yes.

CO2 cylinder from welding supply shop (though it's actually a food
grade cylinder), pressure regulator & needle valve putting 3 or 4
bubbles a second into a home-made diffuser which is effectively just a
bubble-trap in the return line from my sump to my tank.

Everything very happy - and while this tank is only 18 months old, the
previous tank ran the same CO2 setup (though a smaller CO2 cylinder)
for several years.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Old 28-03-2003, 07:32 PM
nikolay_kraltchev

Harry,

Forget the controllers. No need for them. I inject CO2 in the
canister intake at a rate of about 1 buble every 3-5 seconds. It's a
55 gal. tank with just 10 Amano shrimp - the CO2 is always about 15.
My KH is 4.
To me personally CO2 Difusers and especially controllers don't make
sense in a home tank.