Old 24-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Empty

Default Woot! Non-ghetto CO2 is in my future!

2 years I have waited for this... Finally after some ebay shopping and
budgeting... I have a CO2 regulator and a needle valve.

Tonight I will go get a 5lb canister and fittings (to put the needle valve
on the regulator and to put airline on the needle valve). I will be using
the green silicone tubing, as I have heard standard air tubing gets brittle
and lets gas escape. Is it worth buying som other kind of tubing?

Anyone have any other bits of advice? I know the soapy water leak test, and
that the bubble count will change after a bit, so I will be monitoring it
all night.

~Empty

--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other
Old 25-03-2003, 07:56 AM
DWS

im looking on ebay
which one did you buy?

thanks

Old 25-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Paulio629

I will be using
the green silicone tubing, as I have heard standard air tubing gets brittle
and lets gas escape. Is it worth buying som other kind of tubing?

After a little research I decided to use polethylene tubing. You can get it
dirt cheap at Home Depot. I found it has about the least amount of loss you can
get.

I may
be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it.'
Spike

Buffy Rules!

Old 25-03-2003, 08:08 AM
DWS

I used the stuff from home depot / lowes - same stuff diff price...

All i have to say is i just lost a full tank of co2 because of the crappy
tubing they sell - you get what you pay for. It dried out *since janurary
when i put it in* and cracked and leaked over the weekend while i was away.

So there my 2 cents US

Dustin

Old 28-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Robert H

Empty wrote in message . ..
2 years I have waited for this... Finally after some ebay shopping and
budgeting... I have a CO2 regulator and a needle valve.

Tonight I will go get a 5lb canister and fittings (to put the needle valve
on the regulator and to put airline on the needle valve). I will be using
the green silicone tubing, as I have heard standard air tubing gets brittle
and lets gas escape. Is it worth buying som other kind of tubing?

Anyone have any other bits of advice? I know the soapy water leak test, and
that the bubble count will change after a bit, so I will be monitoring it
all night.

~Empty

Green silicone tubing is regular airline tubing. That green hagen
stuff is what gets brittle, hard, and cracks... any silicone tubing
will do that. the only difference between the Hagen tubing and regular
silicone tubing is that it is more pliable. What you need is
polyethelene (sp?) tubing. It does not degrade ever, and is used
specifically for C02 and other gases.

Robert

Old 28-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Empty

Empty wrote in
:

Tonight I will go get a 5lb canister and fittings (to put the needle
valve on the regulator and to put airline on the needle valve).

Wow, what an ordeal this has been.

So I have the whole thing together, almost.

Here's what I have:

http://www.theplantedtank.com/DIY/images/co2tank.jpg

Here's my problem:

http://www.theplantedtank.com/DIY/im...eedlevalve.jpg

I bought a bad needle valve, and now it is missing a part.

The one I bought (months ago) is missing the little cone thing that clamps
the copper tube down.

So, assuming my email to the makers of the needle valve (it's a Swagelock
Whitey B-21RS4) does not yield a "Yeah sure that'll be a buck at your local
Home Depot", what are my options? The three I have identified:
Buy a new needle valve (seems a silly waste of money)
Silicone the tube to the cap (what does silicone do when cold?)
Weld the tube (currently my favorite option, using a copper rod)

Anyone else have any bright ideas?

~Empty

Old 28-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Paulio629

Mine is running for 8 months now. Still looks and feels like new. No cracks at
all.
Did you use Polyethylene? The rigid stuff like you would use for an ice maker.

Old 28-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Paulio629

What you need is
polyethelene (sp?) tubing. It does not degrade ever, and is used
specifically for C02 and other gases.

From the mouth of a "Pro" !
That is what I am using and its great stuff. Havent had to mess with it in 8
months. That airline stuff would go about 3 months at best before it started
looking questionable.
Old 28-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Empty

Empty wrote in
:

So, assuming my email to the makers of the needle valve (it's a
Swagelock Whitey B-21RS4) does not yield a "Yeah sure that'll be a
buck at your local Home Depot", what are my options?

Woot! I called Swagelock today and lo and behold, they have my part... $.50
and $6.00 worth of shipping, and they are mailing it to me from their
distributor about an hour from me... I should have it tomorrow

~Empty