Old 26-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Robert Flory

Default L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords

Bob,
I have a special passion for the great varieties of Plecos available now

and
don't want to get rid of him. I'll give him a different tank with some

Cory
breeders but it won't be planted. Anyone have suggestions if he won't eat
zucchini?
Bob

I understand that, broke my heart to trade George in. Someday I'll have a
tank I can keep a 12+ inch monster in. Till then I'll go with my rubber
noses and some of the other small versions.

As for food, years ago I grew one (a George too) to over 12 inches in a 55
stocked with duckweed, elodea and hornwort. Algae was always trying to grow
but couldn't keep up with him. He'd vacuum up any left over flake...plowed
the tank from one end to the other every night. He refused all "treats" like
zucchini.

Recently I had one growing an inch a month on Nutrafin sinking complete food
tablets and algae tabs. He was also fond of shrimp pellets and my swords.
Some plecos chew on wood and most are omnivores to be health they need more
than zucchini and algae wafers. When they are hungry, they will eat
anything even dead fish.

Bob

Old 26-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Robert

"Robert Flory" wrote in message
gy.com...

[...]

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't thought this through very well, the key
word being "omnivore". I'll try some Shrimpellets at lights out and bring
some algae wafers from the office and try to temp him with those as well.
BTW, I bought a 20 today, just in case...
(Buck a gallon sale at the almost Local FS--such a deal). Negotiations are
under way right now as to the location of the new tank. So far she ain't
buyin' the "you could make it your tank and I'll just offer advice when
asked" routine.
Bob

Pleco???? GaneaRowenna Ponds 16 30-08-2003 04:42 AM
A Pleco Question Gene Ponds 5 12-06-2003 05:23 PM
Wow - Blue Pleco? DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-05-2003 04:21 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
L-200 Pleco ravaging my swords Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 09:44 AM