Old 27-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Eleer

Default Noob question....lighting and plants..

Right now i have a 10 gal tank still going in its cycle...Right now i'm
using a old lamp with a florescent lighting that's a white 15 watts. I have
only one that's can be lit but i can put in another 15 watt light in if i
need to, but what kind of plants do you recommend for a 10 gal tank?
Something that isn't high maintenance and also that doesn't overgrow. I'm
not sure what kind of fishes i want to put in yet so i'll still decide on
that later. I'm still deciding on weather to get a heater or not too.

Can anyone help me? If you need more answers to figure out just message and
I'll post.

Thanks

Old 29-03-2003, 04:20 AM
LeighMo

Right now i have a 10 gal tank still going in its cycle...Right now i'm
using a old lamp with a florescent lighting that's a white 15 watts.

You can actually grow quite a few plants with this setup. 1.5 watts per gallon
is a decent amount of light, especially for a ten gallon tank. (A 10 gallon is
not a very high tank, so the lights are close to the plants, relatively
speaking.)

Some easy beginner plants that don't need much light are java fern, java moss,
and anubias. In addition, medium-light plants like Amazon swords, Hygrophila,
Saggitaria subulata, Vallisneria, and Cryptocorynes would probably be fine in
this tank. Just be sure to choose plants that don't get too big, since your
tank is small. For example, a regular Amazon sword would soon outgrow the
tank, but there dwarf varieties that would be ideal.

Leigh