Old 27-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Craig Morrison

Default Planted tanks without CO2

Sean Meister and I have been discussing low light, non-CO2 injected tanks in
email. It would be interesting to find out if there are others you have had
success in low tech tanks as I have.

I don't have the explosive growth rates that come with CO2 injected tanks, but
I do have two clean, algae free planted tanks.

Pics:

http://www.2cah.com/pets/clean75.JPG
http://www.2cah.com/pets/20planted.JPG

Here's the list of plants I have success with in those two tanks:

C. Wendtii
C. Becketii
C. crispatula balansae
Echinodorus Major
Lutea (don't know the real name)
Rotala spec. 'Green'
Hygrophila polysperma
Sagittaria subulata
Chladaflora (yup, algae balls)
Anubias nana
Anubias barteri

Tank setups...

20 gallon:

1-3mm gravel with no supplements
1 Eclipse 20 watt full spectrum tube
Penguin 170 with biowheel

75 gallon:

1-3mm gravel with no supplements
2 x 20 watt full spectrum tubes
2 x 55 watt full spectrum CF tubes
2 x Penguin 330 with biowheels
Proquatics 1200 cannister filter

Both tanks have a high bioload (read: over-stocked). I dose twice weekly with
the label recommended amounts of Seachem's Flourish and Flourish Iron. I have
fairly hard water, 15-17 dKH, 19-21 dGH (both vary with weather conditions). I
do 20% water changes every 7-10 days.

I know I'm not the only one out there, anyone else care to chime in?

Old 27-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Sherry Michael Weller

I have a mini tank (one of those Eclipse 6 gallon sets). It's only a 8
watt bulb, but
I have C. Wendtii, C. Becketii, A. nana and lots of Java ferns. I use
florish and have aflourite substrate. Grows slow but that's OK in such a
small area. It needs a serious weeding now.