Old 27-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default slight snail problem...what kind of loach?

I have a slight snail problem. I noticed a few last month when I populated
my tank with plants. Now I see more and more...and some of my hygros have
little holes in them. I'm also noticing a lot more snail crap everywhere!

I heard that clown loaches get too big and when they get older they like to
eat plants...what kind of loach could I get for my 15 gallon that wouldn't
be too big and that could be found in the LFS?

Thanx!!!
--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 27-03-2003, 03:20 AM
LeighMo

Clown loaches get far too big for a 15 gallon tank, especially since it's best
to keep them in groups of six or more.

Try a yo-yo loach. They stay small, and are much less destructive.

Don't get a skunk loach. They are nasty critters.

Leigh

Old 28-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Dave M. Picklyk

Cool look'n loach. They look like yoyo loaches however, same family? Would
it be possible that the LFS would mix the two types up?

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
Try Botia rostrata if you can find them. They are very active and

sociable,
don't eat any plants, and max out at about 3.5 inches. I've had mine for

15
months.

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages..._rostrata.html

Old 28-03-2003, 08:20 PM
kush

Try horsehead loaches if you can find them. I have two in my 75-gallon.
The don't eat any snails I put in the tank but they clean up any snail spawn
within moments of it being produced.

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...othynchus.html

I also have yo-yo loaches in another tank and find them to be very
destructive digging up plants.

kush

a...

Old 29-03-2003, 05:44 AM
linda mar

I've got some pearl gouramis, and although they peck on the snails (they
pluck them off the glass) but don't eat them. I guess the mouth is too
small.. but I would think pearl and blue gouramis are about the same in
overall size/mouth size? or do blue gouramis have large mouths?

linda

"Henk & Marga Jamin" wrote in message
David,

Get yourself a blue gourami and feed very sparingly for a while.
That will take care of your snails.

Henk

Old 29-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Bob, how long have you had your clown loach in your planted aquaria? I've
just heard that they can become big plant eaters when they get older...is
this true I wonder?

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
. ..
I highly recommend clown loaches. I am told they are best in groups of at
least three. However, I have had a single one in my 55 without problems.

They will take care of your snails and enjoy doing so.

Bob

--
Bob Alston
918.494.4913