Old 27-03-2003, 03:20 AM
LeighMo

Default Foster & Smith catalog

I got a Foster & Smith catalog today. The aquarium one. It has a special
section on freshwater plants this time. (Including an article by the president
of Seachem.)

There's some nice pics, but their info is kind of goofy. They have helpfully
labeled each of their plants with its lighting requirements. Unhelpfully,
they've labeled Anubias as a high-light plant, and Microsword as a low-light
plant.

What are they thinking?

Leigh

Old 27-03-2003, 03:32 AM
WD

"LeighMo" wrote in message

There's some nice pics, but their info is kind of goofy. They have

helpfully
labeled each of their plants with its lighting requirements. Unhelpfully,
they've labeled Anubias as a high-light plant, and Microsword as a

low-light
plant.

What are they thinking?

My theory: The arranging and typesetting for those mags is done by a person
that likely has no aquarium experience, and the info therein likely means
nothing to them. Errors like that slip may slip by the editors.

Old 27-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Ross Vandegrift

In article , LeighMo wrote:
There's some nice pics, but their info is kind of goofy. They have helpfully
labeled each of their plants with its lighting requirements. Unhelpfully,
they've labeled Anubias as a high-light plant, and Microsword as a low-light
plant.

I'll bet it just got swapped, the entries for a few of the Kent
Freshwater plan fertilizers.

What bugs me about this catalog is that they send me a new one every two
or three weeks. The best part of online shopping is that I don't have
to read a freakin catalog....

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.
Old 27-03-2003, 12:56 PM
LeighMo

My theory: The arranging and typesetting for those mags is done by a person
that likely has no aquarium experience, and the info therein likely means
nothing to them. Errors like that slip may slip by the editors.

I don't think it's just a typo. Here's the description they have for
Microsword:

"This Micro Sword grows exceptionally well, covering the bottom of the tank
with a thick carpet of green for fish to feed on. Not fussy about water
quality or light, so even beginners will enjoy this species. Shipping size
2"-4"."

Then they have a little symbol next to the description, which the key reveals
means "low-light plant."

Hah! Microsword is about the last plant I'd recoomend for beginners. Unless
they are planning to begin with about 4 wpg....

Leigh

Old 28-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Cichlidiot

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

What bugs me about this catalog is that they send me a new one every two
or three weeks. The best part of online shopping is that I don't have
to read a freakin catalog....

You can call the 800 number on the catalogue, give your customer number
(also on the catalogue) and get removed from the catalogue mailing list. I
believe the web order form has a check box to receive catalogues. Just
make sure that's unchecked in the future. I had to do that to get off the
dog catalogue list when I ordered some feeding syringes for dosing
meds/ferts and delivering foods. Since these aren't under the fish page
(and they really should be IMO, very useful fellows... my fishroom is
littered with feeding syringes for various measuring purposes), I had to
grab them out of the cat page and somehow that got me signed up to the dog
catalogue.