Old 27-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Frank Mamone

Default Lighting/CO2 Relationship

I understand that optimal levels of CO2 should be 20-30ppm. I'm wondering if
in a low light tank like mine at 1.6WPG if less CO2 is optimal as less would
be used by the plants?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 27-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Jim Miller

I think most folks will tell you "it's all about balance." You need to
balance nutrients with each other and with energy input and with the types
of plants and fish load you plan to keep. That's why there's no pat answer
and also why balance takes time to achieve: unlike mechanical systems that
respond right away to input, living systems take time to respond and can
also complicate matters by storing nutrients for a time. This makes
determining the proper balance a time consuming matter that needs patience
and note taking.

To more directly answer your question: lower light means lower everything
else including carbon, nitrogen, phosporus, potassium and trace element
concentrations. OTOH, there's no problem I'm aware of with providing excess
CO2 in the 20-30ppm range.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
. ..

Old 27-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Marcus Tait

You still need the correct levels of all the nutrients (inc CO2) in the
water its just that you will be adding less to keep it at that level.
So you still would be better with 20-30ppm of CO2 in the water whatever the
amnount of light you have. It would be the same with any nutrient like
potassium which yo would want to be approx 20-30ppm, the plants would just
be using less of the nutrients and you would not have to add as much to keep
it at that level.

Old 27-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Frank Mamone

Thank you both for your great input.

The issue is that in my tank it seems that I need to sustain a bubble rate
of at least 1 bubble per second to get that. I did find a recipe that gave
me that output but it died after a few days. Could have been a leak.

I don't mind changing the bottle every week.

-Frank