Old 27-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Hank Newmeyer

Default Pic's of my tank..

ISP not notified!!!!

Sir, you are to be commended for posting a hyperlink to your website
unlike other miscreants in this newsgroup who post binaries directly.
Obviously you have perused our FAQ and are Welcome! in this news
group.

Greetings all around once again!!!!

- Hank Newmeyer

"Kenny Horn" - wrote in message ...
Hello..

I've just uploaded a small site with some pic's of my tank..

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~kennyhorn/myplantedtank/

The pic's aren't great, this is the first time I have taken pictures of my
tank.. I found it really difficult to get enough light into the tank so the
shutter speed is a little slow in some of them!! notice the blurred fishes!!
Digital camera's are great for speed but ya don't seem to get the
functionality/quality of a proper SLR unless you splash out loads-a-money!!

I can't really be bothered spending loads of time designing the site so it's
pretty basic.. but ya can at least get an impression of the tank..

The tank is 24x12x12.. with:
1 Platy (The other 3 died!! a while ago)
1 Bumble Bee Goby (I think it's about to die.. can't seem to get it to
feed!! and advice?? I've tried flakes, brine shrimp, daphnia, blood worm..
but no luck.. he's now lookin rather sorry and concaved belly!!)
2 female Siamese fighters, 1 male (a little bit chewed by a rather
aggressive female.. but she knows who's boss now.. took a good few months
for her to stop chasing/biting him!! long story!!)
3 cardinal tetras (had 8 but they've died off!! )
2 green sword tails (1 was female but she changed to a male, guess the other
male wasn't much competition for her!!)
and a catfish (it's a hypostomus plecostomus, sorry about spelling, can't be
bother lookin it up!!

I had a better, more balanced selection of fish although a few have died
over the past months and I haven't been bother replacing them as I'm about
to move flat's.. so there doesn't seem much point, until i'm settled in my
new home!!

As for the plants:
Aponegeton Crispus.. doing really well with loads of new growth/buds (notice
at the front of the tank!!)
Java Fern tied to bog wood
Cryptocorne nevelli & wendetti (i think)
Hygrophilia Polysperma (not doin as well as I'd hoped.. Think I need more
light only 1 15Watt tube which is rather old!! I found the tank in a
cupboard of a flat I moved into!! good find!!)
Malaysia Sword (at least I think that's what's it it's.. it's a fantastic
grower.. now about 5 times bigger than when I bought it!! and is growing out
of the tank!! fantastic!!)

Hope you find this interesting!!

Cheers, Kenny

Old 27-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Rich Conley

When I had Bumblebees..they would only take live food.

Frank Bayne wrote:

"Waterworld ©" wrote;

He may not be feeding because he is in fresh water and not brackish.

That's
not fact it's just a possibility that might be worth looking into.

I would suspect it being a very good possibility. When we had the pet shops,
fish that prefer brackish water, were kept in brackish water tanks. If that
were the case with your Bumble Bee Goby, comming out of a salt tank, to a
salt free one, might have trigered a hunger strike........ Frank

Old 27-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Ben

"Kenny Horn" - wrote in message ...
Thanks for the replies concerning my bumble bee goby not feeding..

A few people had advised me that it would get on fine in my tropical

tank..
Achh well.. a lesson has been learnt!!

Would he be happier in a Malawi setup?? or would that be considered too
salty??

Malawi set-ups should not have any salt in them! They too are fresh water.
Malawi set-ups should have moderately hard water which can be obtained by
using a coral sand substrate if you have soft tap-water.

Brackish water does indeed mean slightly salty - but not full marine.
Brackish waters (for example around estuaries) can vary in salinity as fresh
water runs out of rivers and mixes with salt sea water. Depending how much
run off occurs from the rivers the salinity levels vary.

People have suggested the bumble-bee goby might need brackish water - he
would certainly NOT be happy in a Malawi set-up which should only ever
contain Malawi species (mostly because of aggression).

Ben.
Bradford.

Old 27-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Rick

"Ben" wrote in message
"Kenny Horn" - wrote in message ...
[...]

hmm wonder why there is so much Malawi salt on the market. Some of the

best authorities on Malawi cichlids have advised me that some salt in the
tank is beneficial to them. I have a 40g tank with Mbuna's in it, initially
filled without salt. AT water change time I now add one tablespoon per 5
gallons.

Rick