GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pic's of my tank.. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/11832-pics-my-tank.html)

Kenny Horn 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Hello..

I've just uploaded a small site with some pic's of my tank..

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~kennyhorn/myplantedtank/

The pic's aren't great, this is the first time I have taken pictures of my
tank.. I found it really difficult to get enough light into the tank so the
shutter speed is a little slow in some of them!! notice the blurred fishes!!
Digital camera's are great for speed but ya don't seem to get the
functionality/quality of a proper SLR unless you splash out loads-a-money!!

I can't really be bothered spending loads of time designing the site so it's
pretty basic.. but ya can at least get an impression of the tank..

The tank is 24x12x12.. with:
1 Platy (The other 3 died!! a while ago)
1 Bumble Bee Goby (I think it's about to die.. can't seem to get it to
feed!! and advice?? I've tried flakes, brine shrimp, daphnia, blood worm..
but no luck.. he's now lookin rather sorry and concaved belly!!)
2 female Siamese fighters, 1 male (a little bit chewed by a rather
aggressive female.. but she knows who's boss now.. took a good few months
for her to stop chasing/biting him!! long story!!)
3 cardinal tetras (had 8 but they've died off!! )
2 green sword tails (1 was female but she changed to a male, guess the other
male wasn't much competition for her!!)
and a catfish (it's a hypostomus plecostomus, sorry about spelling, can't be
bother lookin it up!! :)

I had a better, more balanced selection of fish although a few have died
over the past months and I haven't been bother replacing them as I'm about
to move flat's.. so there doesn't seem much point, until i'm settled in my
new home!!

As for the plants:
Aponegeton Crispus.. doing really well with loads of new growth/buds (notice
at the front of the tank!!)
Java Fern tied to bog wood
Cryptocorne nevelli & wendetti (i think)
Hygrophilia Polysperma (not doin as well as I'd hoped.. Think I need more
light only 1 15Watt tube which is rather old!! I found the tank in a
cupboard of a flat I moved into!! good find!!)
Malaysia Sword (at least I think that's what's it it's.. it's a fantastic
grower.. now about 5 times bigger than when I bought it!! and is growing out
of the tank!! fantastic!!)

Hope you find this interesting!!

Cheers, Kenny

WD 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

"Kenny Horn" - wrote in message ...
Hello..

I've just uploaded a small site with some pic's of my tank..

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~kennyhorn/myplantedtank/

Great pics!

psst, bottom right pic has wrong thumbnail!!

billy

Bruce Geist 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Cool pics! Thanks for posting them.

What is yellow and black fish? -Bruce Geist

Marksfish 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Hello..

I've just uploaded a small site with some pic's of my tank..

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~kennyhorn/myplantedtank/

Great pics!

psst, bottom right pic has wrong thumbnail!!

billy

Thumbnails are very large in file size and take a while to download. Could
you make them a bit smaller/ cut down the resolution a bit? Nice pictures
otherwise.

Mark

Kenny Horn 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Oops!!! Thanks.. and my excuse is:

I had polished off a bottle of wine while putting the site together!! :)

Cheers, Kenny

Kenny Horn 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Hello.. thanks for lookin at the pic's..

The yellow and black fish is a Bumble Bee Goby (can't remember or find the
scientific name!! think it starts with an "X" :). They are supposed to
prefer brackish water but seems to do fine in my tank, however I'm having
real trouble getting him to feed!! I've also heard they're fairly solitary
and don't do well in numbers above a few!! (say 1 or 2!! unless, I suppose
it's in a big tank??). Ooh and they like a wee hidey hole or cave.. like a
small plant pot to call home. Only recently has mine started coming to the
front for the tank, guess he hungry!!

Kenny

Kenny Horn 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Hello.. Thanks for the feedback..

Initially I didn't think the images where that big.. however I've just
re-saved them using Fireworks, rather than Photoshop and got far better
compression to quality ratio!! so they've been re-uploaded..

Cheers, Kenny

Waterworld © 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

He may not be feeding because he is in fresh water and not brackish. That's
not fact it's just a possibility that might be worth looking into.

Donald Kerns 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

"Kenny Horn" - wrote:

They are supposed to
prefer brackish water but seems to do fine in my tank, however I'm having
real trouble getting him to feed!!

Um...

--
"There is nothing so strong as gentleness, and there is nothing so gentle as
real strength." St. Francis de Sales

Rick Clark 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

"Kenny Horn" - wrote in message ...
[...]

Nice tank and pics.

As the others have said, your Bumble Bee goby maybe suffering in the
freshwater. He can't really be doing fine if he isn't eating. I think it
would be happier in a brackish tank. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Rick

http://www.aqua-maniac.co.uk

Frank Bayne 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

"Waterworld ©" wrote;

He may not be feeding because he is in fresh water and not brackish.

That's
not fact it's just a possibility that might be worth looking into.

I would suspect it being a very good possibility. When we had the pet shops,
fish that prefer brackish water, were kept in brackish water tanks. If that
were the case with your Bumble Bee Goby, comming out of a salt tank, to a
salt free one, might have trigered a hunger strike........ Frank

Kenny Horn 27-03-2003 03:21 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Thanks for the replies concerning my bumble bee goby not feeding..

A few people had advised me that it would get on fine in my tropical tank..
Achh well.. a lesson has been learnt!!

Would he be happier in a Malawi setup?? or would that be considered too
salty??

Cheers, Kenny

Sabine 27-03-2003 03:22 AM

Pic's of my tank..

I think Bumble Bees do actually ok in FW. The thing is, that they don't eat
flakes. Try some bloodworm on them. Most Bumble Bees never eat flakes, some
learn over time.

Bob Alston 27-03-2003 03:22 AM

Pic's of my tank..

Nice pictures. Agree that digital cameras are great but also have
drawbacks - flash is one.

I am using both my new digital and my older film camera. I found that film
+ processing only - no prints is about $5.00 US. I then scan in the
negatives using my HP scanner. So I only miss the instant gratification but
I get the advantages of the SLR. Mine is a 15 year old Canon EOS 650.
30-100 zoon. I added a set of close up lenses. The canon flash does
through-the lense metering. got a special cable to allow me to move the
flash off of the camera shoe. Also, you can get slave flashes that still
allow through-the-lense metering.

I tried pictures of fish 35 years ago. Boy has technology changed!

Bob