Old 28-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Paulo Almeida

Default Echinodorus leafs with holes

My echinodorus parviflorus leafs after being planted in the aquarium started
to look thiner and after 1 or 2 days holes started to apear in some leafs.

What happend ? Does anyone know?
Also my anubias and Echinodorus have some leafs with brown dots all over it?
Is it the same?

One more question! Does anyone know any good site about raising aquatic
plants (submersed or emersed) and how to mantain them also outside the
water?

Old 28-03-2003, 11:20 AM
LeighMo

You need to give us more info about your tank. What size is it, how much light
do you have over it, what fish and plants are in it, do you inject CO2, what's
your pH and KH (if you know), etc.

My echinodorus parviflorus leafs after being planted in the aquarium started
to look thiner and after 1 or 2 days holes started to apear in some leafs.

Since you just planted it, it might be just the emersed growth dying off. Or
something in your tank might be eating it.

Also my anubias and Echinodorus have some leafs with brown dots all over it?
Is it the same?

This sounds like it might be algae.

Leigh

Old 28-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Paulo Almeida

Wondering about the net i found at ext in the krib that refered that the
holes might be just that (emersed grown leafs dying off), and i believe it
is. First i know for sure these echinodorus and the anubia was grown
emersed, never the less people might get a shock this way. By the way, will
all the leafs die, and when will the new one be fully grown? I read also
that the new ones would be shorter than the leafs the plant has now.

My anubia Congensis is also beggining to show the same kind of holes (the
brown spots i mentioned itīs not from algae, the are like burns, and after
they apear the leaf start to show holes on it.

I have a 130 gallons (500 liters) tank, with PH=6,8 , GH=10 and KH=8
I have low light level, i have two florescent bulbs of 58W each and since it
his such a low light level e put some aluminium in the cover so it would
reflect a little more light to the tank. I am thinking of installing 2 more.

Never the less i donīt believe light is the problem, since anubias is
showing the same signs, and they donīt ask for much ligh.

I also have some java fern, cryptocoryne nevelii (willisi), Shinnersia
Rivularis (The top leafs are looking good), Eusteralis stelata (witch is in
a well lighted spot and looking great, and this was also grown emerse),
Ceratopteris talictroides (it is good until now), micranthemum
micrantemoides (wich has been growin towards the top, and serving of a meal
to some of my fish, but still is hanging on great).

I have a 5 liters CO2 - DIY, wich i donīt know if it is enough for such a
large tank, and i put in 1 ml of PMDD (wich i also donīt know if it his
enough again for such a large tank, but since i do have low light, maybe it
his enough).

I planted the tank recently, by now i have little algae, but i still donīt
know if the setup will manage (the tank was already running but i had it
with vallisnerias and anubias, and java fern, so i decided to try something
different, this means the algae should not be booming (wich is not), but i
have some in the glass (small green spots almost invisible, except if we
look closser)

Advices?

One last thing, does anyone know a good site that explains and give tips
about raising aquarium plants emersed? The crypts page has some tips to
raise some cryptocorynes, but thatīs all and it his not very developed.

Thanx

"LeighMo" escreveu na mensagem

Old 29-03-2003, 12:08 AM
LeighMo

First i know for sure these echinodorus and the anubia was grown
emersed, never the less people might get a shock this way. By the way, will
all the leafs die, and when will the new one be fully grown? I read also
that the new ones would be shorter than the leafs the plant has now.

IME, the old leaves die off gradually. New leaves should be coming in to
replace them at the same time, so the plant is never leafless. It's common for
submersed growth leaves to look different from the emersed growth. With
Amazons, the "stem" part of the leaf is often much shorter on the submersed
growth.

I have a 130 gallons (500 liters) tank, with PH=6,8 , GH=10 and KH=8
I have low light level, i have two florescent bulbs of 58W each and since it
his such a low light level e put some aluminium in the cover so it would
reflect a little more light to the tank. I am thinking of installing 2 more.

That's actually a decent amount of light, for that size tank. A lot of people
find one watt per gallon is enough, for tanks over 100 gallons.

I have a 5 liters CO2 - DIY, wich i donīt know if it is enough for such a
large tank

It is if your water parameters are correct. Ph=6.8, KH=8 means CO2 is 38 ppm
-- a little on the high side.

You say something is eating your Micranthemum. Is it possible that it's eating
your other plants as well? Even though anubias grows emersed, I've never had
emersed growth die-off with them. They grow so slowly they don't even notice
they're underwater. They even produce flowers underwater.

I'm afraid I can't help you with emersed growth plants. You might find some
info if you search on "paludarium."

Leigh

Old 31-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Paulo Marques

My anubia Congensis is also beggining to show the same kind of holes (the
brown spots i mentioned itīs not from algae, the are like burns, and after
they apear the leaf start to show holes on it.

Hi Paulo

I also have Echinodorus in my 91L freshwater and I also get some holes on
the leaves.
I've read your post and I ask you a question.
Do you have clown loaches on your tank (Botia).
I have a couple of clowns and those suckers give huge bites on my Ecinodorus
leaves making such holes...
They also manage to destroy the new leaves on the Echinodorus.

Well, it's just a thought!

Um abraco

Paulo Marques

Old 31-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Paulo Almeida

I believe the culprit is my golden pleco
He lays low during the day, and at night he loves to bit the plants.
What made me think it wasnīt him, was the fact that my anubias first shown
brown dots who start to spread, and that wasnīt the work of a pleco.
I still donīt now what is the nutrient missing in my tank that is causing
this.

Thanks

Paulo Almeida

"Paulo Marques" escreveu na mensagem