Old 28-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Henry

Default How long does 5lb CO2 Tank Last/ pH Controller source

I have switched from a DIY yeast C02 system to a pressurized system and all
is going well. At this point I am just running the Co2 into an Eheim
diffuser 24 hours a day. I am considering going the Controller/solenoid
route ..... just considering it at this point as the 24 hr a day method does
seem to be working out.... and have the following questions:

1) How long can I expect my 5 lb CO2 cylinder to last at a rate of about 1
bubble/sec, 24 hrs/day.

2) What are people's favorite brands/sources for controllers.

3) Is there an inexpensive but reliable controller out there that I should
consider?

4) Are the solenoids reliable, or are they failure prone?

5) How much of a hassle is controller calibration, and how often do you
have to do it? Are some easier to calibrate/maintain than others?

Old 28-03-2003, 05:08 PM
350X_Rider

Sorry, but I can only answer this one...

1) How long can I expect my 5 lb CO2 cylinder to last at a rate of about 1
bubble/sec, 24 hrs/day.

My bubble rate is 3-5 per second, and it lasts me 4 months and a few
weeks..... so I guess 5 months average.. 2x a year fillups.... $8 per fill
up... I use my local gas company, propane company for fillups....

Old 28-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Aqua

1) How long can I expect my 5 lb CO2 cylinder to last at a rate of about 1
bubble/sec, 24 hrs/day.

As of today its 5 months. I dont see any pressure change and hope for one
more month. Mine 2 bubble/sec

2) What are people's favorite brands/sources for controllers.

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

3) Is there an inexpensive but reliable controller out there that I should
consider?

See the link above.

4) Are the solenoids reliable, or are they failure prone?

I dont use any.

5) How much of a hassle is controller calibration, and how often do you
have to do it? Are some easier to calibrate/maintain than others?

NONE.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 28-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Henry

Perhaps I am missing something, but I saw nothing about pH controllers on
the link you provided. I am all set as far as regulators, needle valves etc.
are concerned.

I am looking for information about pH controllers which will drive a
solenoid to turn the C02 stream on and off as needed to maintain a stable
given pH (which in my case will be about 7.0, which will provide me with
optimal C02 concentration).

---- Henry

Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Richard

"Henry" wrote in message...
Perhaps I am missing something, but I saw nothing about pH controllers on
the link you provided. I am all set as far as regulators, needle valves

etc.
are concerned.

I am looking for information about pH controllers which will drive a
solenoid to turn the C02 stream on and off as needed to maintain a stable
given pH (which in my case will be about 7.0, which will provide me with
optimal C02 concentration).

---- Henry

While there are many good suppliers out the

You might try:

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/index.htm
http://www.automatedaquariums.com/h_981411.htm
http://www.automatedaquariums.com/h_sys.htm

Our personal experience with Milwaukee meters has not been good, perhaps it
was user error. We have had good results with Hanna, though others have
not.

Many people set their CO2 up without a doser/controller using a bubble
count/target pH method. I simply had a Pinpoint pH monitor and adjusted the
surface disturbance vs. incoming CO2 to hit our target range.

HTH

Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Richard

"Henry" wrote in message...
[...]

My apologies, i see you are already using bubble count, just found your
original post...

Of those i am aware of, calibration should be once a month. Electrode
replacement 6 to 18 months.

Also: http://www.reeffanatic.com

I have done business with both AutomatedAquariums and ReefFanatic and can
recommend both.

Old 29-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Dave Millman

Henry wrote:

I have switched from a DIY yeast C02 system to a pressurized system and all
is going well. At this point I am just running the Co2 into an Eheim
diffuser 24 hours a day. I am considering going the Controller/solenoid
route ..... just considering it at this point as the 24 hr a day method does
seem to be working out

Our question to you is, what problem with 24 hour/day CO2 are you trying to
solve?

Old 29-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim Miller

i wouldn't worry about the 0.5 point pH swing. according to Tom Barr swings
in nature are on the order of a point of pH from night to day.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Henry" wrote in message
"Our question to you is, what problem with 24 hour/day CO2 are you trying to
solve"

I am getting pretty large pH swings. Part of the problem, I think, is that
the tank is in a room that gets quite cold at night. My bubble rate actually
increases at night (Temp drops, C02 tank pressure drops but the secondary
pressure out to the tank increases from 20 to 23 or 24 pounds .... is this
normal with a relatively large temperature swing .. about 15 degrees F... in
a room?)

The aquarium itself is well heated, so temp fluctuations are not a problem
with it, only with the C02 tank/regulator. My bubble rate fluctuates from
about 90/min (at night) to about 45 during the day. The regulator assembly
is new within the last month.

I guess I could just get a solenoid and hook it up to the timer for my
lights to shut the C02 off at night, but I am also getting some pretty wide
pH swings during the day (but not as bad as at night).

My pH is swinging between about 6.8 - 7.4

What do people consider to be acceptable Ph swings?

My KH hardness is about 3.5 degrees. I am inclined not to mess with my water
chemistry if possible.

Old 29-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Richard

"Henry" wrote in message

[...]

Check out:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

See if these help.

Based upon your kH with no phosphate buffers present, your pH swing
indicates you are going from very little CO2 (4ppm), to about 16ppm. With
DIY CO2 i never had a problem, but our setup was some different than the
majority, and we only had a pH swing of .3 on average.

In my opinion, your target CO2 concentration should be based upon how many
WPG (watts per gallon) of light you have.

The temp swing in our house is 15-20 degrees depending upon how cold it is.
Keep a sharp eye on your kH, as adding CO2 will lower it as time goes by.

In my opinion, save the money for now, and work on stablizing things some,
then if you still feel you would like to try it out, go for it.