GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nutrafin CO2 Bubble Counter/Diffuser - White Fluff (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/12077-nutrafin-co2-bubble-counter-diffuser-white-fluff.html)

mslfl 28-03-2003 09:21 PM

Nutrafin CO2 Bubble Counter/Diffuser - White Fluff

I am using the Nutrafin Bubble Counter/Diffuser in conjuction with a
DIY CO2 generation system. Current bubble rate is about 35-40 bpm. A
white fluffy/stringy substance keeps forming beginning at the outlet
from the CO2 tubing and eventually spreads throughout the entire
counter/diffuser. I have to clean the counter/diffuser about once per
week as it looks very unsightly.

1) Does anyone know what this substance is?
2) I have not added fish to my tank yet (still fishless cycling) but
is this substance harmful to fish?
3) Is there anyway to stop this substance from coming back each time I
clean the diffuser/counter?

Any information/advice is greatly appreciated.

Mitch

Eric Schreiber 28-03-2003 09:21 PM

mslfl wrote:

1) Does anyone know what this substance is?
2) I have not added fish to my tank yet (still fishless cycling) but
is this substance harmful to fish?
3) Is there anyway to stop this substance from coming back each time I
clean the diffuser/counter?

This stuff occurs regardless of the diffuser system, from what I've
read. It has been known to clog an airstone, causing the CO2 bottle to
over-pressure and explode.

It's a fungus or a yeast, according to posts I've seen. My fish have
been known to actually nibble on it, without any ill effect.

As for getting rid of it, I doubt that you can. Best thing to do is
put a plant in front of the diffuser so you can't see it :)

--
www.ericschreiber.com