GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black brush algae from hell (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/12079-black-brush-algae-hell.html)

.D.E 28-03-2003 08:21 PM

Black brush algae from hell

I can't seem to shake this from my tank.

Since I moved about 2 months ago, I've been having a hell of a time with
black brush algae. I did a quick test of the water today:

FE: 0
PHO4: ~2
NO2: .3
NO3: 8
ph 7.2
Ammonia: 0
KH: ~3
GH: 0

weekly 40% water changes.
I added 3 bags of phosphate remover to the ehiem 2226.

I just did a 20% water change.

Tank is 66 gallons. Heavily planted & med fish load of tetras.

I'm going to start doing biweekly or triweekly water changes.

Is there any other way to reduce this phosphate level?
No fertilization or iron being added. Any time I do that, the stuff
takes off again.

Substrate: profile with flourite added.

CO2 @ 1 bubble/sec

Suggestions?

--
Later.

D.E.

Have a better one.

To email me back, simply remove "Forget.The.Spam" from my address.

LeighMo 28-03-2003 08:32 PM

Black brush algae from hell

How much light do you have over this tank?

ph 7.2
KH: ~3

That's not a lot of CO2. If algae takes off whenever you fertilize, I suspect
your tank is CO2-limited. Try to add enough CO2 to get your pH down to 6.6.

I wouldn't worry about the phosphate. I've got tons more phosphate than you.
(40ppm in my tapwater!) There was a little bit of BBA when I first set up the
tank, but it soon vanished.

IME, when you set up a tank (or re-set up a tank), it's normal to experience
algae outbreaks. Don't panic, and don't overreact. The plants need time to
get established and start growing well. Don't be afraid to fertilize. It may
take time, but if you give the plants everything they need, the algae will go
away.

Leigh

Dave Millman 28-03-2003 08:32 PM

Black brush algae from hell

".D.E" wrote:

I've also added some PH Stable from SeaChem to help with the KH. I've been
using these products for over 2 years now and haven't had any previous
problems.

PH Stable is 100% baking soda.

Dave Millman 29-03-2003 11:20 AM

Black brush algae from hell

".D.E" wrote:

FE: 0
PHO4: ~2
NO2: .3
NO3: 8
ph 7.2
Ammonia: 0
KH: ~3
GH: 0

Leighmo has already observed that your CO2 is pretty low (5.7ppm). With a GH
of 0, there is no Calcium or Magnesium in your water, both of which are
important micronutrients. With Fe of 0, your plants will start to yellow
quickly.

Leighmo also suggested you not get upset over Phosphate. He's right.

I also observe that you have measureable nitrites, which is never good as it
indicates that your biological filtratration has been interrupted and your
plants aren't picking up the slack. Are you using water conditioner? If not,
start immediately-Prime or Amquel. Weekly water chages are sufficient.
Biweekly or triweekly are unnecessary.

Specific recommendations:

1. Get GH up to 3 or more. Either your tap water is super soft,
or you areusing RO water. In either case, Kent RO Right
will work. If using RO, mix with harder tap water.

2. Increase your bubble rate or improve your diffusion to get
CO2 up over 15 ppm

3. Look at trace fertilizers.

Start reading he

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

.D.E 02-04-2003 07:32 PM

Black brush algae from hell

I spent another 45 mins removing affected gravel from the tank last night.

Ph 7.5 last night, 7.4 this morning.

Another water change this Friday as I've been working late every night this
week.

I've also changed the bulbs on the front of the tank to full spectrum bulbs.
I've had good results with these in the past and these maybe a factor in the
problem as well.

CO2 is now 2-3 bubbles/sec.

Plants are now growing better.

I'm going to keep adding the Kent R/O to raise the GH.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.