GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sources of KNO3? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/12147-sources-kno3.html)

linda mar 29-03-2003 05:56 AM

sources of KNO3?

hi all,

I posted 2 days ago, but either my server ate the post, or something didn't
go right.. so I'm reposting...

ok. I finally got my nitrate test kit, and checked my water... and it reads
ZERO. so.. it's ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate zero (kh/gh=3, pH~7.5).
hmm...

no wonder my plants aren't growing that much. I don't have enough fish to
maintain a good level of nitrogen compounds to sustain them (may be I should
dump in some gold fish in there...)

anyway, jokes aside...

earlier, someone also recommended that I add potassium. since I also need
nitrates, I guess the best thing to put in would be KNO3 so I can get both K
and NO3 in the tank in one shot. I keep seeing it mentioned in this
newsgroup but I haven't quite made the correlation between the chemical and
brand/product name..

now.. so.. where do I get this?

linda

Jim Miller 29-03-2003 05:56 AM

sources of KNO3?

I didn't have much luck finding KNO3 by name. You can use Grant's Stump
Remover or Greenlight Stump Remover which supposedly is pure KNO3. These can
usually be found at HomeDepot or the hardware store.

If you want KNO3 or other chemicals by name you can go to www.litemanu.com
and order from them. That's what I finally did even after buying the stump
remover to play it safe.

good luck

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Mike 29-03-2003 06:08 AM

sources of KNO3?

Greenlight Stump Remover is what I use for KNO3. I use Greenall Muriate of
Potash for K2SO4. I got both at a plant nursery.

J. H. 29-03-2003 06:56 AM

sources of KNO3?

Here in Perth, Western Australia I found a 20kg bag of pure hydropnic grade
KN03 at a rural/farm supply shop quite cheaply :)

Cheers
Jon

.com...

HP 29-03-2003 10:20 AM

sources of KNO3?

Saltpetre is potassium nitrate (KNO3). Sometimes grocery stores carry
it (for reddening corn beef). Sometimes pharmacies have it.

Ron Nelson 29-03-2003 11:32 AM

sources of KNO3?

I just found a few listings for Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) on eBay fairly
cheap in case anybody is having trouble finding it locally...

Ron

LeighMo 29-03-2003 11:44 AM

sources of KNO3?

No one has stump remover around here. At least, not the kind that's made of
KNO3. I ended up buying mine online from a chemical supply house. One that
specializes in chemicals for people who want to make their own cosmetics. That
way, I don't have a buy a huge amount, and it's fairly inexpensive. (Some
scientific supply places have such purified chemicals that they cost about
their weight in gold. :-)

The place was Tri-Ess Sciences, Inc.:

http://www.tri-esssciences.com/chemical.htm

See their "cosmetic chemicals." I also got calcium carbonate from them.

Service was very quick, and the order was well-packed and accurate.

Leigh

Aqua 29-03-2003 03:32 PM

sources of KNO3?

now.. so.. where do I get this?

I have some. Email me if you need and pay actual cost + shipping.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua
Remove "kickme" to mail me

Brian 29-03-2003 09:20 PM

sources of KNO3?

Linda,

You can get pure KNO3 from www.plantguild.com for 50 cents/ounce. I don't
know what grade of purity they sell, but I know it's better than the stump
remover I was using before. I stopped adding Greenlight Stump Remover to my
tank because I was noticing it contained a lot of impurities. Pure KNO3
looks completely white. The stump remover has a yellow tint with green
specks(?) throughout the mix. All chemicals have a certain percentage of
impurity. Depending of the grade chemical you purchase, you could be adding
substances that are harmful to your tank inhabitants. I have no idea what
impurities were actually in the Green Light Stump Remover, but my plants
sure have perked up since I stopped using it.

Brian
--
Brian's Planted Aquaria
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jrevenn

Alex R 30-03-2003 04:32 AM

sources of KNO3?

"Mike" wrote in message
.com...
Greenlight Stump Remover is what I use for KNO3. I use Greenall Muriate

of
Potash for K2SO4. I got both at a plant nursery.

Isn't Muriate of Potash KCl?
__
Alex

Bob Alston 30-03-2003 06:44 AM

sources of KNO3?

Buy "Stump Remover" small pellets of KNO3. I bought Grant's but there are
several brands. It comes as a 1 pound plastic jar.

--
Bob Alston

Mike 30-03-2003 07:56 AM

sources of KNO3?

yes, i made a mistake K2SO4 is pottasium sulfate. Greenall was the brand
though that I purchased. thanks for the correction.

"Alex R" wrote in message
.com...

linda mar 02-04-2003 03:08 AM

sources of KNO3?

thank you!

do you usually dissolve the KNO3 before putting in the tank? how much do
you put in yours?

linda

LeighMo 02-04-2003 01:32 PM

sources of KNO3?

do you usually dissolve the KNO3 before putting in the tank?

Nope. I'm too lazy. I just drop it in the tank dry.

how much do
you put in yours?

I started at a quarter teaspoon of the dry powder every other day, and went up
from there. (Checking nitrate levels with a test kit.) I'm putting in a
quarter teaspoon once or twice a day now.

Leigh