Old 29-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Zack Robertson

Default biological filter

Is it possible to filter a tank (currently 10 gal) solely with a biological
setup?? I'm thinking of a system where I pump water out of the tank to a
gravel trough with plants, and then back into the tank.

If this is possible, what equipment is needed and what is an approximate
setup cost? Also what plants would work the best for this.

Thanks a lot.

Zack Robertson

Old 29-03-2003, 10:32 AM
LeighMo

Is it possible to filter a tank (currently 10 gal) solely with a biological
setup?? I'm thinking of a system where I pump water out of the tank to a
gravel trough with plants, and then back into the tank.

If this is possible, what equipment is needed and what is an approximate
setup cost? Also what plants would work the best for this.

I've never done this myself, but a lot of people do it. Some use a "sump" -- a
smaller aquarium under the main tank, with the high light plants need. I guess
to keep the algae that often comes with high light out of the main tank.

But perhaps the easiest way would be to put the plants directly in the main
tank. I've seen this done with that vine-like plant they sell for those "betta
vases." It used to be called "wandering jew"; it probably has a more
politically correct name these days. Anyway, that plant doesn't need soil, and
will root in water. (Thought the leaves should stay dry.) It will grow long
and drape around the tank very attractively.

Leigh

Biological filter cleaning david williams Ponds (alternative) 3 21-05-2005 01:40 PM
Mechanical Filter Versus Biological Filter??/ DD DDD Ponds 4 02-04-2005 01:55 AM
Biological filter question Roy Ponds 14 28-08-2004 07:51 AM
biological filter(OT) WD Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
biological filter Zack Robertson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:26 AM