Old 29-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2

Does anyone know what kind of PSI pressure I could expect to get from using
DIY CO2. I'm not only talking about the initial burst of CO2 usuall
ountered, but how much PSI does the fermentation process produce though
out it's life. I'm just wondering about estimates (ie: 1-3 PSI, or like
50-70 PSI ?)

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know the anwer will depend on how large the container is and how
much CO2 is bled off, so let's assume a standard 2 L bottle and a bubble
rate of 1 bubble every 2 seconds. Thanks again.

Old 29-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Chief Ephor

...I'm not only talking about the initial burst of CO2 usuall
ountered, but how much PSI does the fermentation process produce though
out it's life. ...

hi.
This is a tricky question, and the correct answer is that it depends on how
deep do you put the outlet of the bottle under water. If the outlet is open
to the atmosphere, then the relative pressure of the fermetation process is
0 psi. This is because as soon as the yeast generate the CO2 and let it
bubble out of the solution, it escape to the atomsphere, and does nothing to
the internal pressure. If the inlet is a few inch below the water, then the
pressure will be determine by the depth of discharge (convert inch_H2O to
psi).

If the outlet opening is constricted (via a needle valve, etc.), then the
relative pressure will depends on the size of the opening as well as the
rate (volume per hour) of CO2 generation.

I can't think of anything that relate the relate pressure (not in a closed
container, as you said above regarding the "initial burst".) to the volume
of the container.
bye -ck-

Old 29-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Jonathan Peakall

Harry,

A few psi, say 1-5 is my experience, not measured.

Jonathan