Old 29-03-2003, 08:32 PM

Default Lighting: 2x6 or 1x12

For a few years now I have kept my light on for 12 hours a day.
However, I have always turned it on in the morning 6am to 12 noon and
then again in the evening 6pm to 12 midnight. I kept it off during the
day because of how hot the tank gets in the summer.

I never seemed to have a problem with this setup, but now am wondering
if its not such a great idea. Should I instead put the light on for 12
hours continuously? Say from 11 am to 11 pm ? Is there a difference
for the plants in processing CO2 and O2 ?

Much thanks
Old 30-03-2003, 02:08 PM
LeighMo

I don't know if I've ever heard a definitive answer for this. Some people
claim the split lighting prevents algae. Others claim plants do best with a
continuous, 12-hour "day."

Split lighting would be convenient for me, because I like the light on in the
morning, when I feed the fish before work, and in the evening, when I get home.
And it does get hot in the middle of the day in summer. However, it does seem
rather unnatural. For the fish, as well as the plants. I know I wouldn't be
happy with my day divided that way. So I'm sticking with 1x12, at least until
there's more info on this.

Leigh

Old 30-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Aqua

I never seemed to have a problem with this setup, but now am wondering
if its not such a great idea. Should I instead put the light on for 12
hours continuously? Say from 11 am to 11 pm ? Is there a difference
for the plants in processing CO2 and O2 ?

The whole concept of keeping the tropical plants at home is to bring the
"nature" to your living room. Why are we having powerful lights? -
Simulating sun light.

Initially I had 2x6 lighting with a gap of 4 hours. but now I have 1x12 and
I see lot of changes. Plants are growing fast. Their nutrient intake is
more. In 1x12, my plants continuously pearl for about 11+ hours. In 2x6,
plants will go to sleep more in the "off" period.

This is my $0.02.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 31-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Rich Conley

I know this doesnt totally relate..but I thought it was interesting....
In my psychology class freshman year, they took a woman and put her in this bunker
like 1 mile under ground...no natural light, and not clocks anywhere...she was down
there for like 6 months. Her body eventually changed so that she was living on a 14
hour cycle....7 hours awake, floowed by 7 asleep....repeat....

so 2x6 may not be as unnatural as we think.... It may be a case of one is
better...but the other is whats really there...
I say, whatever works for you, keep doin it.

Rich

LeighMo wrote:

I don't know if I've ever heard a definitive answer for this. Some people
claim the split lighting prevents algae. Others claim plants do best with a
continuous, 12-hour "day."

Split lighting would be convenient for me, because I like the light on in the
morning, when I feed the fish before work, and in the evening, when I get home.
And it does get hot in the middle of the day in summer. However, it does seem
rather unnatural. For the fish, as well as the plants. I know I wouldn't be
happy with my day divided that way. So I'm sticking with 1x12, at least until
there's more info on this.

Leigh

Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
"Artifical" lighting -- Any successes? Jo Edible Gardening 16 08-02-2003 05:31 AM
Indoor Lighting-System news Orchids 12 06-02-2003 04:43 AM
Old Ponders ... Full Spectrum Lighting D K Ponds 11 30-01-2003 10:39 PM
Agro Lighting, good?? Maurizio Leo Bonsai 0 27-01-2003 05:33 PM