Old 19-02-2006, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Far Thunder

Default algae concerns going from 130W to 260W?

Hau kolas..

Question for the group.. I have heard from various sources that it may be advantageous to control algae to interrupt the lighting cycle during the day..say an hour "pause"..the theory being that plants can "react" quicker than algae can to interrupted lighting (?). currently I have 130 watts 6700K CF over 75 gallons of water for 11 hours. No algae concerns to speak of, but I'm about to make the jump to 260W and am a bit concerned. Should I add a "pause"? With the increase in wattage, should I expect a big algae bloom until the plants catch up, or will the plants continue to outcompete it in the first place? TIA

lila pilamaya

--
**FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW**
Old 19-02-2006, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Question for the group.. I have heard from various sources that it may be advantageous to control algae to interrupt the

Nope.

Proper fertiliztion gets rid of algae. Flourish Excel, used as directed
speeds this up - it kills algae.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 19-02-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Question for the group.. I have heard from various sources that it may be
advantageous to control algae to interrupt the

Nope.

Proper fertiliztion gets rid of algae. Flourish Excel, used as directed
speeds this up - it kills algae.

==========================
Can you explain how it kills algae? Does it contain algaecides? I'm
ordering some tomorrow from Foster & Smith but the catalog doesn't mention
it killing algae.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 19-02-2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Question for the group.. I have heard from various sources that it may
be advantageous to control algae to interrupt the

Nope.

Proper fertiliztion gets rid of algae. Flourish Excel, used as directed
speeds this up - it kills algae.

Apart from helping plants grow in a non CO2 tank, it seems to have certain
anti algae effects. Elaine discussed it he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...0125dd3ad22d30

It's also been discussed over on the tcb site.

==========================

Old 19-02-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Far Thunder" wrote in message
Hau kolas..

Question for the group.. I have heard from various sources that it may be
advantageous to control algae to interrupt the lighting cycle during the
day..say an hour "pause"..the theory being that plants can "react" quicker
than algae can to interrupted lighting (?). currently I have 130 watts 6700K
CF over 75 gallons of water for 11 hours. No algae concerns to speak of, but
I'm about to make the jump to 260W and am a bit concerned. Should I add a
"pause"? With the increase in wattage, should I expect a big algae bloom
until the plants catch up, or will the plants continue to outcompete it in
the first place? TIA

Do you run CO2? At 4 wpg you should.

lila pilamaya

--
**FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW**

Old 19-02-2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Can you explain how it kills algae? Does it contain algaecides? I'm
ordering some tomorrow from Foster & Smith but the catalog doesn't mention
it killing algae.

To be an "algicide" it has to pass, like 10 years of FDA testing
so if you ask sea-chem it it's an algicide they have to tell you
no of they're breaking the law.

If you ask them if it will help grow moss balls which are
cladophora algae they'll tell you this is not advisable,
it will hurt it.

I don't know how or why it works, but it works better than
conventional (FDA approves!) algicieds like simizine IMO.

With high lights, good ferts but no CO1 you may get algae.
Add Co2 and the plants can us all those nutrients, similarly
so Excel provides organic carbon and plants grow better with it
than without it. And it does knock algae out in a day or three.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 19-02-2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Do you run CO2? At 4 wpg you should.

I have a tank that has 4 wpg on one side and 8 wpg on the
other. It's a 40L. I use excel and have no alage.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 20-02-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Apart from helping plants grow in a non CO2 tank, it seems to have certain
anti algae effects. Elaine discussed it he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...0125dd3ad22d30

It's also been discussed over on the tcb site.

=======================
OK, I'm no chemist so can't really follow the info on Iron but I already use
Seachem's "Flourish Iron" and "Flourish comprehensive plant supplement"
This black velvety algae and the sooty looking algae thrive on it. They
thrive to the point they're overtaking all the plants in that one tank. Now
I see the same black crud starting in the other 55g tank.

What is the tcb site?

Thanks.....

Old 20-02-2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Can you explain how it kills algae? Does it contain algaecides? I'm
ordering some tomorrow from Foster & Smith but the catalog doesn't mention
it killing algae.

To be an "algicide" it has to pass, like 10 years of FDA testing
so if you ask sea-chem it it's an algicide they have to tell you
no of they're breaking the law.

If you ask them if it will help grow moss balls which are
cladophora algae they'll tell you this is not advisable,
it will hurt it.

I don't know how or why it works, but it works better than
conventional (FDA approves!) algicieds like simizine IMO.

I wonder what it contains since I'm already using Sechem's Iron supplement
and their Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement. This sooty and now black
velvety algae is thriving on it and the constant water changes (Nitrates at
20ppm).

With high lights, good ferts but no CO1 you may get algae.
Add Co2 and the plants can us all those nutrients,

I would rather not since I have a lot of tanks and don't want anything else
to have to measure, watch and worry about.

similarly
so Excel provides organic carbon and plants grow better with it
than without it. And it does knock algae out in a day or three.

I'll let you know if it works for me. I imagine it'll take a week to get
here from Foster & Smith. :-)

Old 20-02-2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Apart from helping plants grow in a non CO2 tank, it seems to have
certain anti algae effects. Elaine discussed it he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...0125dd3ad22d30

It's also been discussed over on the tcb site.

=======================
OK, I'm no chemist so can't really follow the info on Iron but I already
use Seachem's "Flourish Iron" and "Flourish comprehensive plant
supplement" This black velvety algae and the sooty looking algae thrive on
it. They thrive to the point they're overtaking all the plants in that
one tank. Now I see the same black crud starting in the other 55g tank.

Sounds like BBA (Black Brush Algae), nasty stuff. I kept mine in check with
CO2 and SAEs.

What is the tcb site?

BarrReport.com as in Tom Barr.

Thanks.....

Old 20-02-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Do you run CO2? At 4 wpg you should.

I have a tank that has 4 wpg on one side and 8 wpg on the
other. It's a 40L. I use excel and have no alage.

Yes, I use Excel on my small planted (3.6 wpg) tank and it seems to HELP
keep the algae at bay. I'd like to go to 7 wpg on this tank, but not before
I add CO2.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 20-02-2006, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

I wonder what it contains

Some weird chemical with a name a mile long. polyglycoaceyluy-something like that.

It smells like cut stems of fresh flowers. It's supposed to be some intermediate
matabolic something, that is some chemical that exists in the middle of the
reaction that plants use to make leaves.

There is no second source. Sea-chem is the only place that makes it, which
annoys me as I don't really buy anyhing fishwise, grow my own food, trade
plants and fish, make stuff etc.

But I'm very thankful it exists. Magic stuff.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 20-02-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dogma Discharge

The siesta method is pure fallacy, just give the plants a straight 10 hour photo period and you'll be fine. Remember that an icrease in CO2 is absolutely essential if you are adding that much more light. Your system sounds like its running fine, why do you want to add so much light? If it aint broken don't fix it
--
Kind Regards
Cameron