GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Why does laterite fizz when placed in water? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/123726-why-does-laterite-fizz-when-placed-water.html)

Peter Wilson 21-02-2006 11:01 AM

Why does laterite fizz when placed in water?

When I place laterite in plain tap water (alkaline) it's produces very tiny
bubbles and fizzes for a few moments and keeps releasing tiny bubbles for at
least a minute.

Does anyone know what this gas is?

What is your laterites pH?

What does laterite feel like when you put it on your tounge? My tounge
sticks to it with a vengence!!

Cheers from Australia,

Peter

Richard Sexton 21-02-2006 02:38 PM

Why does laterite fizz when placed in water?

In article ,
Peter Wilson wrote:
When I place laterite in plain tap water (alkaline) it's produces very tiny
bubbles and fizzes for a few moments and keeps releasing tiny bubbles for at
least a minute.

Does anyone know what this gas is?

Air.

What is your laterites pH?

Should be neutral.

What does laterite feel like when you put it on your tounge? My tounge
sticks to it with a vengence!!

Chalk. The stuff is utterly void of water, it's just taking water on
and tiny air bubbles inside are escaping. No worries.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net