Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
JJOPP

Default Compact Fluorescent vs. Fluorescent

How long have you been running the T-8's?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Frank Mamone

4 days.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Christopher

my powerglo's are T8 but sadly my big blue actinic 03 is a T12, are there
actinic blue's at T8?

"ocelotl" wrote in message
m...
Flourescen Information:

t8s are a newer design...part of it is the fact that they are smaller,

but I
think they are designed better than the original t12s...there is a

reason
that most offices are going towards t8s...more efficient, less energy
used...and they tend to degrade less over time...

T8 lamps have a smaller diameter (1") and more efficient when compared
to T12 lamps (1.5"). In fact, T8 bulbs are the standard in the
Architecture/Engineering (A/E) industry when coupled with efficient
electronic ballasts.

There is even a new design on the market, count on it to be the next
standard. T5, they are thinner than T8 (as the number refers to their
physical size) and also gives more light.

T5 are half the size in diameter than a T8 lamp. T5 do in fact give
out so much light, that they are typically used in indirect
applications. The great part about these lights is that they require
less energy. They also run at a higher frequency that T8 Lamps.
Something that is around the corner is a T2 lamp for commercial use.

As to now it's mostly used where realy good light is needed as in
workplaces. (drawing boards etc.) After what I'we heard they should be
able to compee with mercury-bulbs for reef-tank use.

I recently attended the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES)
Conference a few weeks ago in Michigan and saw a few interesting
products. First of all, ballasts able to drive 150W HID lights were
reduced greatly (to the size of a 12 oz can). Another interesting
item was LED for commercial/industrial use. They require low voltage
(when compared to fluorescent lamps) and last a ridiculous amount of
time (50,000 hours ~ 100,000). I know of at least 2 companies
developing a standard 2'x4' light fixture outfitted with LEDs. They
may or may not be as powerful as T8 lamps yet, but they are something
to consider.

Here is a good site that will explain more about lighting basics than
I can : http://tristate.apogee.net/lite/

If you have any more questions about the items I covered, feel free to
email me and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

~Don Ocelotl