GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black beard algae problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/12542-black-beard-algae-problem.html)

dGH 01-04-2003 07:32 AM

Black beard algae problem

I believe this is the type of algae I have. Someone posted a picture of it
a while back, but I can't find the post. It is thin, stringy, black, and
about 2" long.

It is completely taking over my tank, and I am at a loss as to why. I
thought I had a micronutrient problem, so I upped the dose of TMG. The
plants are growing SO fast, that I wonder how the algae can keep up. My
echinodorus bleheri was 5" tall a month ago. It is now 15" tall. I also
have Hygrophila Rosanervig which I have to throw out about 6" a week.

This dang algae is completely covering the echinodorus, the hygro, the java
fern, and the java moss. I keep pulling out all the affected leaves, but it
doesn't stop. The tank is a 20 gal, so I can't get any SAEs.

ph - 6.6
kh -2
light - 55W PC on for 14 hours/day

Any ideas?

LeighMo 01-04-2003 01:20 PM

Black beard algae problem

ph - 6.6
kh -2
light - 55W PC on for 14 hours/day

How's your nitrate?

This is just anecdotal, but the last time I had BBA, I had let nitrate drop to
zero.

You've got almost 3 wpg, and I assume from your pH and KH that you're injecting
CO2. You're adding PMDD, which is good, but you may also need to
macronutrients like nitrate, phosphate, and potassium.

Leigh

dGH 01-04-2003 03:56 PM

Black beard algae problem

How's your nitrate?

I just tested, and yes, it is pretty low: 5mg/L. I've always had a
tendency to overfeed so I hadn't considered that. Thanks very much.

How often do you usually have to put in the Jobe's (palm/fern) spikes? I
put half stick under the sword and half under the hygro about 2 weeks ago.
Should I up that dosage?

[email protected] 01-04-2003 07:56 PM

Black beard algae problem

"dGH" wrote in message ...
[...]

CO2, CO2 and CO2. Try upping the CO2 and keeping at a higher level
_consistently_. Dose some KNO3 etc also if the NO3 or fish load is
low.
Stay away from jobes sticks etc. Use KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4 and TMG for
the nutrients.

See DWF plant article on estimatibe index for dosing ideas.
Regards,
Tom Barr

[email protected] 05-04-2003 03:56 PM

Black beard algae problem

My only concern is that with your micronuitriant and macronuitriant
(jobes, fishfood) fertilization that you are feeding the problem. If
you do not have adequate plantage that cannot absorb all this
fertilization, the algea will make hearty use of it. I might consider
decreasing your inputs and nitrates to starve the algea.