Old 01-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Frank Mamone

Default Nitrate levels and Algae

What is the relationship between nitrates and algae. In non-planted tanks
it's been said that reducing the nitrates will help control the algae.

Since in a planted tank, the plants need nitrates, what is that best
strategy to keep algae down and have enough nitrates for the plants.

In my case my nitrates are somewhere between 0-5ppm and have some algae but
don't want it to get out of control. I have three ottos but may not be
enough.

Thanks,

Frank

Old 01-04-2003, 10:44 PM
350X_Rider

I could be wrong, but was my understanding, that the LACK of nitrAtes, would
lead to algae taking over.... increasing nitrAte, will block off algae, by
making the plants suck it out of the water, and by this, not allowing the
algae any competition.....

The desired nitrate level is 5-10ppm.

I've read this a hundred times, and recently was convinced to get some PMDD
from Dominic, and now I'm waiting to see what happens...

then again, I could be so far off that I'm not even seeing how far off I
am...

Old 02-04-2003, 07:32 PM

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message ...
That's what I thought I read..and I'm sure it's true, but don't fully
understand why.

Algae are smaller, they need less to N, P etc to exist. Plants have
much higher requirements for nutrients. But as such plants also need a
steady supply to do well. Variations or large ups and downs in the
nutrient supplies will give algae the advantage. CO2 is most often the
biggest issue followed by NO3.

Adding 50ppm etc will destabilize the system to the point everything
and anything will grow and rot and crash the system.

Adding 5-10ppm etc is a nice middle range that neither removes it all
nor adds too much.

See the estimative index on the DFW plant club site.
It's an easy non testing approach that gets pretty close and most
anyone can do that will add not too much and not too little.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 02-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Christopher

can't you just up the bioload of your tank to put more nitrates in the water
for the plants?

om...

Old 03-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Aqua

See the estimative index on the DFW plant club site.

Or Look Here http://www.dlink.org/aqua/e_index.html

--
Thank You

Dominic