Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Christopher

Default fertilizers

has anyone calculated the amount of flourish fertilizers their tanks require
and then mixed large quantities of various flourish types together (like
flourish potassium + flourish trace + flourish) in the proper proportions.
I was thinking using a big 60cc syringe and drawing out __ mL twice a week
from a tupperware bottle kept in the fridge would be a lot easier than
consulting 3 different bottles and putting multiple capfuls of each bottle
into the tank. I know it doesn't sound like much but if I could reduce
fertilizing to a 1 minute chore vs. a 10 minute chore it would seem a lot
less boring. Any problems with combining these fertilizers before I add
them to the tank?

Also I ordered a bottle of flourish iron but it says I already get iron from
normal flourish so I doubt I will be adding this. Plus .1mg/L is a bit high
concentration to have in my tank I would think, last time I measured it was
..2mg/L.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:56 PM
LeighMo

has anyone calculated the amount of flourish fertilizers their tanks require
and then mixed large quantities of various flourish types together (like
flourish potassium + flourish trace + flourish) in the proper proportions.

Yes. I e-mailed Seachem and asked them if it would be okay to do that, and
they said to go ahead. So I do. :-)

Also I ordered a bottle of flourish iron but it says I already get iron from
normal flourish so I doubt I will be adding this.

I use it. IME, Flourish alone doesn't provide enough iron.

Leigh

Old 03-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Bob Alston

If you want to do that, why not try the Tomm Barr approach. See this link:

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/fert/e...st_index1.html

You can get Potassium from "No salt".

Phosphorus from Fleet enima (really!). Carefull - it is very potent. A few
drops in an aquarium is all that is needed!!

Nitrogen from Potassium Nitrate - stump remover.

Magnesium - Drug store epsom salts.

Traces - use flourish or buy from various trace element suppliers such as
http://www.hydroponics.com/info/aquatics/pmdd.htm
You can also buy the other chemicals from them also.

A lot of info in the web on doing this.

--
Bob Alston

Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:55:51 -0800, "linda mar"
wrote:

wouldn't the "Cl" in the "KCl" become a problem? or do you just dump in a
lot of dechlorinator at the same time?

The Cl in KCl is in the Chloride form, and is completely harmless.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 04-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Dave Millman

Christopher wrote:

has anyone calculated the amount of flourish fertilizers their tanks require
and then mixed large quantities of various flourish types together (like
flourish potassium + flourish trace + flourish) in the proper proportions.
I was thinking using a big 60cc syringe and drawing out __ mL twice a week

I've done it this way for a year or more. The coolest way to do this, IMHO, is
to use a TMG bottle. It has 5ml-10ml-15ml-20ml-25ml measurements calibrated
right onto a little squeeze section of the bottle. I mix up everything in a 2
week batch, add water to make 280ml (which I have marked on the bottle), and
squeeze out 20 ml every morning. Daily dosing helps me not forget.

I and others have found, however, that KH2PO4 will cause something to
precipitate out of the solution. I've mixed every combination of other dry
ingredients and Flourish products together without precipitation. Just use
enough water!

Old 06-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 02:01:36 GMT, "mark" wrote:

where would you get mortons potassium chloride? garden store,hydroponics
store etc. thx

some large grocery stores carry it, as do many home improvement
places. It's sold for use in home water softeners.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
350X_Rider

Tropica Master Grow, and I think you can find them at
http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ad_tropica_mg.asp?CartId for one... many others
too... www.bigalsonline.com

whats a TMG bottle and where can I get one?

slow release mechanism of organic fertilizers darseet sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
fertilizers Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 22-04-2003 02:44 PM
fertilizers Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 20-04-2003 07:26 AM
Carbon in filter: Really absorbs liquid fertilizers?? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:24 AM
Carbon in filter: Really absorbs liquid fertilizers?? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 03-03-2003 10:31 PM