GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   algae, co2, etc (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/12836-algae-co2-etc.html)

Bob A 03-04-2003 03:56 PM

algae, co2, etc

My plants are still growing and thriving (except for rotala wallichii which
looks sick), and I still have probably 3 types of algae. I have read
numerous articles, and I understand that nutrients (light, co2, ferts) must
be balanced. I seem to get more understanding from reading replies to
questions here.

Tom Barr advised someone to get his CO2 up and stable a few days ago. I
have 2wpg in a 55g heavily planted tank. Using DIY CO2. But my CO2 level
(which I measure shortly after lights on) does vary between 10ppm and 20ppm.
My question here is, are fluctuations in CO2 an algae promoter? I was told
that I didn't have to have CO2 at all unless I wanted a "lush" tank, and I
do want one. Would adding a pinch of sodium bicarbonate to the mix
stabilize the CO2 production?

I'm also considering ordering some true SAE's from aquariumfish.net, which
some people have recommended (Leigh for one, I think). I have read that
SAE's are a must in planted tanks. I want some Amano Shrimp too. I have 8
otocinclus. If I order the SAE's I will probably get an Ancistrus too.

Using TMG, K2SO4, Kent RO Right. Was using some KNO3 but at the moment it
is not being used up. My RO water still has NO3 in it. Tom mentioned I
think it was KH2SO4, is this important, and if so where can I get some?

Any help greatly appreciated!

bob allred

Rex Grigg 03-04-2003 06:56 PM

algae, co2, etc

Tom Barr has stated on a couple of occasions that fluctuating CO2
levels will contribute to algae growth. DIY CO2 is possible on a 55
gallon tank but it's not easy. You would need to run at a minimum of
four liters of mix and keep them fresh. You might head over to the
Aqua Botanic forums and read up on using the Jello recipe for DIY CO@,
it seems to give a more consistent output. And consider using wine
yeast instead of bread yeast. If you need K2SO4, and if you have a
planted tank you really do need potassium, head over to
www.litemanu.com and get some. In fact since you have a 55 gallon
tank get a couple of pounds to cut the shipping costs.

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:48:10 -0500, "Bob A"
wrote:

[...]

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)

Bob A 03-04-2003 09:20 PM

algae, co2, etc

Thanks, as I said I am dosing with K2SO4, its KH2SO4 (I THINK) I have read
about.

I am using wine yeast. Can you post the jello recipe here please? I'm
reading several lists already.

Can't afford a "real" co2 setup right now, and where I live I have checked
into sources and the only thing I can find is a place that charges a LOT,
and you switch tanks each time. There are no home brewer type places here.

thanks again,

bob

[email protected] 04-04-2003 06:56 AM

algae, co2, etc

Can't afford a "real" co2 setup right now, and where I live I have checked
into sources and the only thing I can find is a place that charges a LOT,
and you switch tanks each time. There are no home brewer type places here.

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

But I'd use this needle valve as it only cost a few bucks more and is
extremely good and I'ver used dozens of them over the years.
Call and ask for the 10-32 thread with an 1/8" barb port and the 1/16"
to 1/8 brass adaptor.
They are nice folks.

If you plan on having more than one CO2 injected system, get 2-3 etc
valves as the shipping will cost the same and you can T off the main
reg and tank for independent control on as many tanks as you want to
have.

http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...sp?sku=MNV-4K2

If DIY is an issue, baker's yeast works fine. Any market sell it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Dave M. Picklyk 05-04-2003 04:44 AM

algae, co2, etc

Rex is right...you need 4L. I have 2 X 2L bottles going on our 48 gallon at
work. The most important part isn't necessarily the recipe...but the heat.
If you can keep the bottles warm all the time you are set. During the day I
have a low heat halogen light inside a big cardboard box with the bottles
inside. I'm shining the light in the direction of the bottles. It works
great. Right now I'm getting about 35ppm constant for about a week and a
half.
--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Bob A 05-04-2003 03:56 PM

algae, co2, etc

Thanks Dave and also Tom... replying to both here... right now I cannot
afford even $100+ for bottled CO2 setup. I had read Dominic's page, and
benefitted from it, but its just not feasible for me now. I kind of enjoy
doing the DIY anyway. :)

I'm watching them (I do have 2 2L bottles) more carefully now for signs of a
decrease of bubbling. I have them on one of the heat vents on the PC. It
is usually about 76 degrees F in my house anyway (and worrying a bit about
the 80 the tank gets up to in the day too, but just don't have the money for
the fan Leigh has). I usually shake the bottles in the morning, don't know
if that helps much. pH is more stable at the moment.

Dave, do you know what the temp of your bottles is? Or can estimate?

Has anyone thought of one of those magnetic stirrers we used in chem class
labs, to keep the mix agitated?

The algae is growing slowly. I have, twice, done the bleach thing on a
couple of tough-leaved plants. I used a less concentrated solution, for
about two minutes, and the algae turns a pretty white and over about 48
hours is gone. Plants unaffected. My point though, is that it is over two
weeks before algae re-appeared on the first one (its been about a week on
the 2nd and no algae). Does this give any info that might suggest anything
useful?

My brother suggested adding grape juice to the mix, for varied sugars and
vitamins. I've been doing that for a while. It seems to help. I also made
about a liter of wine, aged 4 days, pretty good! :) Alcohol doesn't agree
with me though.

thanks much,

bob

. ..

Dave M. Picklyk 06-04-2003 09:20 AM

algae, co2, etc

"Bob A" wrote in message

Dave, do you know what the temp of your bottles is? Or can estimate?

Hmmm..probably quite a bit warmer than room temperature. Possibly 95-100F.
The warmer the better...as long as it's not hot. Hot liquid will kill the
yeast.

Has anyone thought of one of those magnetic stirrers we used in chem class
labs, to keep the mix agitated?

Don't think mixing the stuff will do you any good.

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Rich Conley 07-04-2003 07:32 PM

algae, co2, etc

It actually may...Alchohol evaporates much easier than water....if you could
keep surface disturbance up in the bottle..you may be able to get some of the
alchohol to evaporate out....and the east may last longer...

Rick 08-04-2003 04:09 PM

algae, co2, etc

"Bob A" wrote in message
Thanks, as I said I am dosing with K2SO4, its KH2SO4 (I THINK) I have read
about.

I am using wine yeast. Can you post the jello recipe here please? I'm
reading several lists already.

Can't afford a "real" co2 setup right now, and where I live I have checked
into sources and the only thing I can find is a place that charges a LOT,
and you switch tanks each time. There are no home brewer type places

here.

thanks again,

bob

2 x 85 g packages of regular jello, colour of your choice. Add 500 ml of hot
water, dissolve to mix, add 1/2 cup of sugar and shake to mix, add 500 ml of
cold water, shake to mix and then place in fridge overnight or until jello
sets. Once set add 500 ml of warm water, 1/4 tsp of bakers yeast or one
package of Champagne yeast (recommended) and a pinch of baking soda and away
you go.

Rick

Robert Flory 08-04-2003 07:08 PM

algae, co2, etc

"Rick" wrote in message
. ca...

2 x 85 g packages of regular jello, colour of your choice. Add 500 ml of

hot
water, dissolve to mix, add 1/2 cup of sugar and shake to mix, add 500 ml

of
cold water, shake to mix and then place in fridge overnight or until jello
sets. Once set add 500 ml of warm water, 1/4 tsp of bakers yeast or one
package of Champagne yeast (recommended) and a pinch of baking soda and

away
you go.

Rick

Some people report it takes a fair amount of time to get the gelatin system
cranking out CO2. Add a table spoon of sugar with the yeast for a faster
start up.

Bob