Old 06-03-2006, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
justice

Default Plants For Clown Loaches

Hi all, I need some recomandations on some plants for my clown loaches I
have 1 juvi and 2 I guess teens. I have some plants in there tank and
well out of 8 or so bunches of spiral vails I now have 4 and a clump of
root. what are some good plants to keep with them I don't mind them
nibbilg but they are like lumber jacks to the spiral vails. I also have
som cessiflora that they don't seem to touch but I don't want too much
of that as I know it grows like a weed. I bought 6 sprigs of that
almost a year ago and have fully planted my 2 10 gal and also my parents
2 10 gal not to mention probably the 50lbs I've tossed into the garbage.
Any sugestions would be helpfull. The more Ideas the better as I find
local stock lacking.

TIA
Old 06-03-2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
2pods

"justice" wrote in message
Hi all, I need some recomandations on some plants for my clown loaches I
have 1 juvi and 2 I guess teens. I have some plants in there tank and well
out of 8 or so bunches of spiral vails I now have 4 and a clump of root.
what are some good plants to keep with them I don't mind them nibbilg but
they are like lumber jacks to the spiral vails. I also have som cessiflora
that they don't seem to touch but I don't want too much of that as I know
it grows like a weed. I bought 6 sprigs of that almost a year ago and
have fully planted my 2 10 gal and also my parents 2 10 gal not to mention
probably the 50lbs I've tossed into the garbage. Any sugestions would be
helpfull. The more Ideas the better as I find local stock lacking.

TIA

My 6 CL's in the upstairs tank are 3-4 inches but don't bother with the
spiral vallis, cabomba, or java fern in their tank.
Hmm......

Peter

Old 06-03-2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"justice" wrote in message
Hi all, I need some recomandations on some plants for my clown loaches I
have 1 juvi and 2 I guess teens.

=====================
My clown loaches never bothered any of the plants. They neither ripped them
out nor ate them.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 06-03-2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill

"Koi-Lo" Spaketh Thusly:

"justice" wrote in message
Hi all, I need some recomandations on some plants for my clown loaches I
have 1 juvi and 2 I guess teens.

=====================
My clown loaches never bothered any of the plants. They neither ripped them
out nor ate them.

Same here.
Sometimes a water sprite will come loose but that might just be from being
bumped. Such little roots and the Flourite is very light, I end up pusing them
down every few weeks anyway.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Bill" wrote in message
Sometimes a water sprite will come loose but that might just be from being
bumped. Such little roots and the Flourite is very light, I end up pusing
them
down every few weeks anyway.

================
Isn't watersprite a floater any way?

Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve

justice wrote:
Hi all, I need some recomandations on some plants for my clown loaches I
have 1 juvi and 2 I guess teens.

I have a planted 90-gal aquarium with 3 large clown loaches plus other
fish. I'm successfully keeping Cryptocorne wendtii, C. balansae, giant/
jungle Val, Anubias barteri var nana, Rotala (bunch plant variety, Java
moss, water sprite (planted and floating) and water lettuce (floating).
I especially recommend C. wendtii.

There are pieces of slate against the back wall for the clowns to hide
behind, and some abs plastic sewer pipe bits that they hide in. The C.
wendtii are so thick and bushy that they provide hiding places too.

I've recently started fertilizing the water with potassium nitrate
solution, and the plants are doing better than ever. For years I thought
that plants' purpose was to get nitrates down to zero. Not so; ask Mr.
Sexton on this group or read Chuck Gadd's plant pages.

Good luck with your fish!

Steve
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mr. Gardener

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:16:37 -0600, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
Sometimes a water sprite will come loose but that might just be from being
bumped. Such little roots and the Flourite is very light, I end up pusing
them
down every few weeks anyway.

================
Isn't watersprite a floater any way?

It's either/and/or. When floated, it grows long roots down into the
water, great fry hideouts and spawning grounds for some fish. And
shade. I plant some of them in the gravel, especially after they've
grown those great roots. They take on a pleasing form and bright green
color when planted in the substrate. Either way, they provide all of
the benefits of a fast growing plant.

-- Mister Gardener
Old 07-03-2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Mr. Gardener" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:16:37 -0600, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
Sometimes a water sprite will come loose but that might just be from
being
bumped. Such little roots and the Flourite is very light, I end up
pusing
them
down every few weeks anyway.

================
Isn't watersprite a floater any way?

It's either/and/or. When floated, it grows long roots down into the
water, great fry hideouts and spawning grounds for some fish.

I remember as I had it in all my tanks in NY where the water was soft and
slightly acid. But whenever I tried to plant it in the gravel it would pull
loose on it's own and end up back on the surface.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Mr. Gardener wrote:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:16:37 -0600, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
Sometimes a water sprite will come loose but that might just be from being
bumped. Such little roots and the Flourite is very light, I end up pusing
them
down every few weeks anyway.

================
Isn't watersprite a floater any way?

It's either/and/or. When floated, it grows long roots down into the
water, great fry hideouts and spawning grounds for some fish. And
shade. I plant some of them in the gravel, especially after they've
grown those great roots. They take on a pleasing form and bright green
color when planted in the substrate. Either way, they provide all of
the benefits of a fast growing plant.

Only the fine leaved form of water sprite ("silliquosa"; not the
current valid name, but the one you'll find most often) will
actually grow when rooted. And only with great amounts of light.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 10-03-2006, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill

"Koi-Lo" Spaketh Thusly:

wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
Sometimes a water sprite will come loose but that might just be from
being
bumped. Such little roots and the Flourite is very light, I end up
pusing
them
down every few weeks anyway.
================
Isn't watersprite a floater any way?

It's either/and/or. When floated, it grows long roots down into the
water, great fry hideouts and spawning grounds for some fish.

I remember as I had it in all my tanks in NY where the water was soft and
slightly acid. But whenever I tried to plant it in the gravel it would pull
loose on it's own and end up back on the surface.
Mine works its way up, but doesn't actually come loose on its own.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mr. Gardener

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:23:13 -0500, Bill wrote:

"Koi-Lo" Spaketh Thusly:

"Mr. Gardener" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:16:37 -0600, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
m...
Sometimes a water sprite will come loose but that might just be from
being
bumped. Such little roots and the Flourite is very light, I end up
pusing
them
down every few weeks anyway.
================
Isn't watersprite a floater any way?

It's either/and/or. When floated, it grows long roots down into the
water, great fry hideouts and spawning grounds for some fish.

I remember as I had it in all my tanks in NY where the water was soft and
slightly acid. But whenever I tried to plant it in the gravel it would pull
loose on it's own and end up back on the surface.

Mine works its way up, but doesn't actually come loose on its own.

I just walked through the fish room for my morning inspection,
actually it's more like my morning report; my lifelong girlfriend
watches all of the tanks during the Today Show commercials and does a
head count of the fish and an assessment of the overall health status
of the tanks. There are two tanks where I have water sprite "planted",
and the plants are all sitting on the bottom looking that slightly
different shade of bright green. I usually have to replant them a
couple of times during the day I first install them, but once they
"take", they really take off. I agree that the plants are quite
buoyant and a lightweight substrate could present a losing battle.
I've read here that water sprite won't grow if it's planted, but that
has never been the case for me. I have had some that withered and died
when planted, but I blame myself for burying them too deeply. Because
of their buoyancy, it's tricky planting them and leaving just a bit of
the crown above the gravel. Mine are also in tanks with zero rowdy
fish, one tank is gentle livebearers, guppies and platies, and the
other tank is all young corys, who, in spite of their constant probing
the substrate for edible morsels, don't disrupt the gravel or sand as
much as I would expect them too. In spite of corys' vigorous activity,
there is a certain irresistible gentleness about them.

I seldom keep planted watersprite as a permanent fixture - I generally
use it for new tanks and rehabilitating tanks - those are the ones
that I have been neglecting and finally get around to cleaning up the
sky high nitrates. Once a tank is well established, usually a couple
of months, I replace the anchored water sprite with more traditional,
stable plants, like swords and crypts. I always keep a few handfuls of
it floating in tanks where the fish appreciate a little shade, like
the corys, or where fish are frequently spawning. I haven't bought any
in at least 20 years, and sometimes my supply gets down to less than a
single handful, but when I give it half a chance, it grows and
multiplies rapidly. My lfs won't stock it, he says it melts and turns
brown in his tanks. He's hard and alkaline, I'm soft and acid.

-- Mister Gardener