Old 09-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Bonsai giant val

One of my favorite plants in "red marble val" also known
as "crystal red val" and "tiger val". It really is red and
tiger striped when fed and illuminatd properly.

It's also big. Very big. The last time I had it one
plant made 4' green leaves, Iended up giving it away.
Like Ihave a 4' tall tank toshow it off properly.

A few years ago I dabbles in Bonsai and killed many trees;
notwithstanding that, the theosy is keep the root mass
small and the leaves will be small. Can this be applied
to aquatic plants?

I think so. Last xmas or thereabouts I obtained 4
red marble val plants and stuck them in these small
square glass thingies sold as/for candles. Almsot
any Goodwill or Sally Ann has them for about a quarter.

It seems to work. I have a nice lush growth of these things
now, and none of the leaves are more than about 18" tall.

It's too early to say if they'll stay small, but we'll see.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Really don't know enough to speak on the matter, but if it is a plant
that derives most of its nutrients from the root system, then I think
your method sounds like it would work!

Old 14-03-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

One of my favorite plants in "red marble val"
It's also big. Very big. The last time I had it one
plant made 4' green leaves, Iended up giving it away.

[Bonsai theory]
Can this be applied to aquatic plants?

It can.

I think so. Last xmas or thereabouts I obtained 4
red marble val plants and stuck them in these small
square glass thingies sold as/for candles. Almsot
any Goodwill or Sally Ann has them for about a quarter.
It seems to work. I have a nice lush growth of these
things now, and none of the leaves are more than about 18"
tall.

Sagittaria subulata in 1,5cm sand: 18 cm
Sagittaria subulata in 8cm sand: 45 cm

It's too early to say if they'll stay small, but we'll
see.

Did you ever try sunflowers?

--
cu
Marco
Old 15-03-2006, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

One of my favorite plants in "red marble val"
It's also big. Very big. The last time I had it one
plant made 4' green leaves, Iended up giving it away.

[Bonsai theory]
Can this be applied to aquatic plants?

It can.

I think so. Last xmas or thereabouts I obtained 4
red marble val plants and stuck them in these small
square glass thingies sold as/for candles. Almsot
any Goodwill or Sally Ann has them for about a quarter.
It seems to work. I have a nice lush growth of these
things now, and none of the leaves are more than about 18"
tall.

Sagittaria subulata in 1,5cm sand: 18 cm
Sagittaria subulata in 8cm sand: 45 cm

Makes sense. I do notice the bigger the sustrate depththe bigger
the plant.

It's too early to say if they'll stay small, but we'll
see.

Did you ever try sunflowers?

No. I guess it works the same way there too?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 15-03-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

Did you ever try sunflowers?

No. I guess it works the same way there too?

Many years ago they sold "bonsai sunflower pot sets": A
small low flower pot, a "steel bag" woven of thin steel
filament as big as a tea bag for making a single cup of
tea, some earth and sunflower seed. Well, I bought two of
those sets, put earth and seed into the little steel bag,
put the steel bag in the flower pot, filled the flower pot
too, watered the pots, waited 2 weeks without any result.
So I went to the garden centre, bought fine earth, removed
the old earth, took seed from my garden sunflowers that
generally grow up to 2m and repeated the procedure. I
finally had bonsai sunflowers.

--
cu
Marco

Old 16-03-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

Did you ever try sunflowers?

No. I guess it works the same way there too?

Many years ago they sold "bonsai sunflower pot sets": A
small low flower pot, a "steel bag" woven of thin steel
filament as big as a tea bag for making a single cup of
tea, some earth and sunflower seed. Well, I bought two of
those sets, put earth and seed into the little steel bag,
put the steel bag in the flower pot, filled the flower pot
too, watered the pots, waited 2 weeks without any result.
So I went to the garden centre, bought fine earth, removed
the old earth, took seed from my garden sunflowers that
generally grow up to 2m and repeated the procedure. I
finally had bonsai sunflowers.

That makes sense. Maybe there is hope for large Aponogetons
and Echinodorus which I consider too large for any tank;
they are always several feet tall; my tanks are not.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net