Old 14-03-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

Default How big are your stems (Amazon Swords)

My Amazon Sword (Rose) seems to be going all to stems. There must be at
least eight inches between the substrate and the start of the leaves.
There's not much in the way of new leaves, just the beanstalk syndrome. At
this rate the fish will be climbing out of the basement.

Could someone please tell me if this is natural or does it represent some
kind of nutrient imbalance? AFAIK all the nutrients/lighting are fine.

Old 14-03-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Jim Anderson

In article , Bill Stock says...

My Amazon Sword (Rose) seems to be going all to stems. There must be at
least eight inches between the substrate and the start of the leaves.
There's not much in the way of new leaves, just the beanstalk syndrome. At
this rate the fish will be climbing out of the basement.

Could someone please tell me if this is natural or does it represent some
kind of nutrient imbalance? AFAIK all the nutrients/lighting are fine.

I had bought 12 cute little unlabeled plants, 2 inch stem with 2 inch
spade shaped leafs, very bushy. Thought they would make great foreground
plants. Two weeks after I planted them they were 21 inch high swords
that choked out every other plant.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you except they may change with time.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"
Old 14-03-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Moments before spontaneously combusting Bill Stock at
was heard opining:

My Amazon Sword (Rose) seems to be going all to stems. There must be
at least eight inches between the substrate and the start of the
leaves. There's not much in the way of new leaves, just the beanstalk
syndrome. At this rate the fish will be climbing out of the basement.

Mine also have long stems but then a nice leaf at the end. They're more
upright than I'd like them to be but that's the variety I have. The young
plants on the end of the the runners, when planted in the gravel, have
shorter stalks.

Could someone please tell me if this is natural or does it represent
some kind of nutrient imbalance? AFAIK all the nutrients/lighting are
fine.

Then that's just the way they grow or could it possibly be too much nitrogen
or not enough light? I know I can't fit any more shoplights over my 55s.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 14-03-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Jim Anderson" wrote in message
et...
In article , Bill Stock says...

My Amazon Sword (Rose) seems to be going all to stems. There must be at
least eight inches between the substrate and the start of the leaves.
There's not much in the way of new leaves, just the beanstalk syndrome.
At
this rate the fish will be climbing out of the basement.

Could someone please tell me if this is natural or does it represent some
kind of nutrient imbalance? AFAIK all the nutrients/lighting are fine.

I had bought 12 cute little unlabeled plants, 2 inch stem with 2 inch
spade shaped leafs, very bushy. Thought they would make great foreground
plants. Two weeks after I planted them they were 21 inch high swords
that choked out every other plant.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you except they may change with time.

Mine did not quite grow that dramatically, as I had nutrient issues in the
beginning. But once they got started they were similar to yours.

I guess replacement is the only answer.

Old 14-03-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
Moments before spontaneously combusting Bill Stock at
was heard opining:

My Amazon Sword (Rose) seems to be going all to stems. There must be
at least eight inches between the substrate and the start of the
leaves. There's not much in the way of new leaves, just the beanstalk
syndrome. At this rate the fish will be climbing out of the basement.

Mine also have long stems but then a nice leaf at the end. They're more
upright than I'd like them to be but that's the variety I have. The young
plants on the end of the the runners, when planted in the gravel, have
shorter stalks.

Yeah, mine have huge leaves too, practically touching the soil after
reaching the top of the tank.

Could someone please tell me if this is natural or does it represent
some kind of nutrient imbalance? AFAIK all the nutrients/lighting are
fine.

Then that's just the way they grow or could it possibly be too much
nitrogen or not enough light? I know I can't fit any more shoplights over
my 55s.
--

If anything my Nitrates are a little low.

It's just a shame to toss these monsters, but I don't see an alternative.

Old 15-03-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Moments before spontaneously combusting Bill Stock at
was heard opining:

It's just a shame to toss these monsters, but I don't see an
alternative.

===================
If they're attractive and in good condition, only too tall and leggy, most
mom & pop stores will take them and give you credit. Don't just toss them
until you check into it. The big tall ones will sell in my area for $8 and
up.

Old 15-03-2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

It's just a shame to toss these monsters, but I don't see an alternative.

Tis the way of all properly fed Echinodorus. They're really all to big
for any but stupidly large aquaria.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net