Old 15-03-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Anacharis growth

Similar to another post, my anacharis is growing very very fast but
isn't very leafy. I have to cut the stalks back once a week as they
curl over when they hit the surface. The leaves are all very small
though. I like the look of thick dense anacharis, not the long stalky
look. My tank is a 10g with 15w of light with DIY CO2. I use a multi
purpose fert, I think by tetra. Can a different way of pruning help the
leaves grow?

Also, my micro swords is putting off runners left and right. When can I
cut the new plants from the stalk? A few of the nodes (?) have roots
shooting off while others seem to be growing relatively larger leaves
with no roots.

Old 16-03-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
wrote:
Similar to another post, my anacharis is growing very very fast but
isn't very leafy. I have to cut the stalks back once a week as they
curl over when they hit the surface. The leaves are all very small
though. I like the look of thick dense anacharis, not the long stalky
look. My tank is a 10g with 15w of light with DIY CO2. I use a multi
purpose fert, I think by tetra. Can a different way of pruning help the
leaves grow?

No. Change to a bluer bulb, that should do it. Red - elongate tall
plants, with lomng internodes, blue - compacy bushy growth.

Also, my micro swords is putting off runners left and right. When can I
cut the new plants from the stalk? A few of the nodes (?) have roots
shooting off while others seem to be growing relatively larger leaves
with no roots.

The more you cut those runners the slowe the plants grow. Just
leave'em.

When you can't see gravel any more remove half the older plants.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 16-03-2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

I went down to the LFS to pick up a more blue light. I guess I forgot
how expensive anything that says 'aquarium' is on it compared to
similar products for other uses. I tried the home depot but don't know
enough about color temperature, lux, lumens etc. to tell what is more
blue vs. full spectrum vs. actinic. I did a google but have so far
found either to simple of an explanation in regards to aquarium use or
technical definitions that I can't relate to the GE (or other bulb
brands) labels. Any advice direction reccomendations or ideas are
always welcome.

Old 17-03-2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
wrote:
I went down to the LFS to pick up a more blue light. I guess I forgot
how expensive anything that says 'aquarium' is on it compared to
similar products for other uses. I tried the home depot but don't know
enough about color temperature, lux, lumens etc. to tell what is more
blue vs. full spectrum vs. actinic. I did a google but have so far
found either to simple of an explanation in regards to aquarium use or
technical definitions that I can't relate to the GE (or other bulb
brands) labels. Any advice direction reccomendations or ideas are
always welcome.

I never buy tubes at a petshop. The prices have one too many zeros.

Here's some commonly available bluish light.

First of all "Dayliht" tubes are about the cheapest source of
blue. The'll have the suffix "D" as in F12T40D.

Ge makes a Chroma-50 (neutral 5000K - white) and a Chroma 75 (7500)
they're labeled C50 and C75. The latter are hard to find, the former
common although they're merketed as "Super sunshine" or something
like that.

Off the top of my head, Philips Alto makes a bluish bulb. Basically
anything that says sunlight, daylight or super daylight will work.
There's actually a few but what you can find may vary.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 17-03-2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mr. Gardener

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 04:41:38 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

Also - look for the words "full spectrum" - many will say "wide
spectrum", not the same thing. Vitalite makes some nice full spectrum
bulbs.

-- Mister Gardener