Old 06-04-2003, 06:44 AM
willis stanley

Default needle valve recommendations?

OK, I've had a clippard needle valve blow up on me after two weeks of
operation (around 4 psi coming off the regulator). Well, what happened
was it started hemoraging gas and then literally fell apart when I tried
to tighten the connections a bit. Right now I've got the home depot
special rigged up and putting out 1 bubble every 4 seconds or so.
Assuming this won't last (I'm not messing with it so long as it works)
what sort of other needle valve brands are recommended/used out there?
More importantly, if I have to invest in a more expensive needle valve
some time in the future, what would I likely have done wrong to cause
this sort of failure in the clippard?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Rex Grigg

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 23:37:33 -0500, willis stanley
wrote:

OK, I've had a clippard needle valve blow up on me after two weeks of
operation (around 4 psi coming off the regulator). Well, what happened
was it started hemoraging gas and then literally fell apart when I tried
to tighten the connections a bit. Right now I've got the home depot
special rigged up and putting out 1 bubble every 4 seconds or so.
Assuming this won't last (I'm not messing with it so long as it works)
what sort of other needle valve brands are recommended/used out there?
More importantly, if I have to invest in a more expensive needle valve
some time in the future, what would I likely have done wrong to cause
this sort of failure in the clippard?

I have never heard of this happening with a Clippard. You can get a
SwageLock brand metering valve for around $65 but Clippard is pretty
much the gold standard in needle valves. I have never had one leak,
and have gotten them for many other people and never had a problem
with them. I suggest returning it to where you got it from and ask
for a replacement. They are really a pretty simple device. Is it
possible it was missing a gasket somewhere? How did it fall apart?
There's really not a lot of parts there. Next time you assemble the
system be sure to use pipe dope to seal the threads instead of teflon
tape. But don't use it on the regulator/cylinder connection or on the
needle valve. The seal on the Clippard is flawless in my experience.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 06-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Bob Alston

I also use the Clippard MNV-4k2 with good success. My only complaint is
that even with only 10-15 lbs pressure, the adjustment controls are not very
fine - e.g. small turns of the adjusting know result in big changes in gas
volume. I wish it were finer.

If I were going to get a Cadillac valve, based on the research I have done,
I would get the Swagelok Brass Very Fine Metering Valve(likely a B-SS4 for
$47.60)
http://www.swagelok.com/PRODUCTDETAI...ice=&Picture=N
PH634CROPstraight%2DS%2EJPG&CTSCKey=69
10 turns of revolution and a max Cv of 0.004

or, probably a better, but more expensive choice would be the Parker HR
series "H1" metering valve which has 15 turns or revolution and a Cv of
0.006.
http://www.parker.com/ivd/cat/English/4170-HR.pdf

I read about a user of the Parker who said "I open it up about 3 turns to
achieve 1 bubble/sec."
See Dan Dixon "More CO2 injection stuff":
http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache...com/Plants/CO2
/solenoid.html+micro+metering+valve+co2&hl=en&ie=UT F-8
With 15 turns of revolution, this indicates a lot of fine control available
for out application. Not clear of the price. It may be as much as $90 or
so.

--
Bob Alston
918.494.4913

Old 07-04-2003, 12:34 AM

willis stanley wrote in message t...
OK, I've had a clippard needle valve blow up on me after two weeks of
operation (around 4 psi coming off the regulator). Well, what happened
was it started hemoraging gas and then literally fell apart when I tried
to tighten the connections a bit. Right now I've got the home depot
special rigged up and putting out 1 bubble every 4 seconds or so.
Assuming this won't last (I'm not messing with it so long as it works)
what sort of other needle valve brands are recommended/used out there?
More importantly, if I have to invest in a more expensive needle valve
some time in the future, what would I likely have done wrong to cause
this sort of failure in the clippard?

I think you tried to screw it on too tightly and broke it. I use
15-20psi and have perhaps a 100 or so over the years. Not one has
failed. Your might be a defective one but user installation would be
the first thing to consider.

Tighting connections? The brass parts etc should be tighten well and
pipe compound should be used.

The last connection with the valve to the brass adapter should be
tighten only by hand and does not require much torque.

If you did all of this properly, then you can blame the valve, send it
back and they will send another one. They have excellent service.

But if you broke it, stripped the threads etc...... well..........

There is an adaptor flow disc on the control knob. This needs to be
adjusted so you can adjust the flow. It's a stopping gauge so you
don't over/under regulate the gas. I screw these down to the nub so
the adjustment is easy and the disc does not interfere.

Be gentle, use pipe compound, follow installation directions, ask for
another one.

I've used many of these, never had an issue. I'm not saying they 100%,
nothing is, even the most costly valve.

I used a Nu Pro in the past(Ran about 40$) but have used these
clippard valves for a decade or so. Congrat's, you are the first
compliant I've heard
But make sure things were done right, use pipe compound etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr