Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 AM
B.

Default Leaking CO2

I think my CO2 line is leaking somewhere. I think this because my 5 pound
tank is running empty a lot quicker. I have a filling that the check vavle
might be the culprit but i dont know for sure. I was wondering if anyone
knew of a way to test to see if it is leaking. I read somewhere that you
can do a soapy water test but it didnt say how to perform that. If anyone
knows where this or similar info is pleased drop me a line. Thank You.

Old 06-04-2003, 11:32 AM
WD

The Soapy Water Test is pretty simple. Put some dishsoap in a pan of water,
then rub a soaked sponge over all the fittings. Look for bubblings. Careful
not to get it in the tank.

Old 06-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Buzzard Face

Tighten the connection where the regulator connects to the tank. What
happens a lot of times is the tank and regulator were different temps when
they were initially connected. Over time they adjusted to the same temp
causing a potential leak. Try putting Teflon tape around the threads of the
bottle and check to see if you have small plastic type disk that is inside
the regulator connection. This acts as the seal between the regulator and
the CO2 tank

Buzz

Old 07-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Bob Alston

Recommend you make sure you have the small plastic disk at the regulator
connection to the tank. But I was told by the fire extinguisher place that
fills my tanks NOT to put teflon on those threads.

Bob

--
Bob Alston
918.494.4913

.. .

Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Jim Miller

the disk provides an excellent seal between the regulator and the tank. no
teflon tape required. the downside for teflon tape is that a small shred of
it can easily block the metering orifice of the regulator.

if you've use teflon tape before you'll know that small shreds are typical
in it's use.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"DWS" wrote in message
I wonder why. I was told to put teflon on mine from my local welding store.

.. .

Old 08-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Bob Alston

What I recall, the guy at the fire extinguisher place said the disk was all
that was necessary and any tape was not necessary. I guess a case of less
is more.

--
Bob Alston

"DWS" wrote in message
I wonder why. I was told to put teflon on mine from my local welding

store.

.. .

Old 08-04-2003, 06:20 AM
willis stanley

In article , bobalston9
@aol.com says...

"DWS" wrote in message
I wonder why. I was told to put teflon on mine from my local welding

store.

.. .

"WD" wrote in message
> [...]

For what it's worth, my regulator, a Taprite, says it has "an inlet
nipple quad-ring that eliminates the need for a washer." Doubtless some
regulators need a washer and some don't--try to find instructions
specific to your equipment. The guys at gas-fill locations are usually
pretty helpful in making sure your stuff all fits together OK if you ask
for their assistance (the novelty of co2 for aquarium usage is usually
enough to interest them for the few minutes it will take to assure
things work)
Old 08-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Bob Alston

Agree. I took my needle valve & regulator in when filling my tank. The guy
got me the right adaptor to put the needle valve on the regulator, put on
teflon where necessary, took it off where unnecessary and tightened
everything down with an experienced hand. No leaks.

Bob Alston

"willis stanley" wrote in message
In article , bobalston9
@aol.com says...

"DWS" wrote in message
I wonder why. I was told to put teflon on mine from my local welding

store.

.. .

Old 09-04-2003, 01:32 PM
LeighMo

I wonder why. I was told to put teflon on mine from my local welding store.

I've heard that little pieces of the tape can get into the regulator and ruin
it.

I had a heck of a time getting my compressed CO2 system up and running, so I
used Teflon tape just about everywhere. But I recently replaced the cylinder,
and this time, I didn't use any tape. So far, so good.

Leigh