Old 20-03-2006, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
LM

Default methylene blue toxic to plants? (use of Furan 2 in planted tanks)

Hi,

I've looked for this info everywhere, and I'm getting mixed messages.
I'm hoping someone has experience with it to tell me the real effects..

I have a fish suspected of saddleback disease (columnaris). I am in
the process of removing the affected fish (2 gouramis) to the
quarantine tank, but I am afraid I may have to do some prophylaxis
medication of the main tank as if it really is columnaris, it's very
contageous.

I've been looking at Furan 2 made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. It
contains nitrofurazone and methylene blue in crystal form. I will be
medicating the two obviously sick fish in the quarantine tank, and
since that tank is bare, I have no issue using it in the quarantine
tank. however, the main tank is heavily planted... so I am more
cautious.

I have anubias, amazon sword and java fern in my main tank. will the
methylene blue in Furan-2 kill my plants?

linda

Old 21-03-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"LM" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

I've looked for this info everywhere, and I'm getting mixed messages.
I'm hoping someone has experience with it to tell me the real effects..

====================
It looks like no one has the answer for you. It's best to read the
information given for EACH product. Or call the mfg. and ask.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 23-03-2006, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
LM

Thanks Koi-Lo,

I decided to move the two affected fish in a Q-tank afterall. good
thing those two gouramis aren't particularly fast or smart :-P (either
that or they are extremely nearsighted!). seems like all the other
fish isn't showing any obvious signs of the same disease, so... decided
better to keep meds out of the main tank now.

I suppose I can put few off-shoots of my ever-overgrowing java ferns in
the Q-tank just to see how it reacts to the meds... just for fun (and
will give the fish some comfort. I added plastic plant, but it's just
not the same, especially when the main tank is a jungle of plants, and
this one has this cheesy plastic plant sort of lonely sitting in the
middle of the tank...)
thanks!
linda

Old 23-03-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"LM" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Koi-Lo,

I decided to move the two affected fish in a Q-tank afterall. good
thing those two gouramis aren't particularly fast or smart :-P (either
that or they are extremely nearsighted!). seems like all the other
fish isn't showing any obvious signs of the same disease, so... decided
better to keep meds out of the main tank now.

That's a good move. There is no way to know how individual plants will
react to any medication added to the water. I do know Quick-Cure and
Aquari-Sol doesn't harm the plants in my tanks.

I suppose I can put few off-shoots of my ever-overgrowing java ferns in
the Q-tank just to see how it reacts to the meds...

Excellent idea.

just for fun (and
will give the fish some comfort. I added plastic plant, but it's just
not the same, especially when the main tank is a jungle of plants, and
this one has this cheesy plastic plant sort of lonely sitting in the
middle of the tank...)

The fake plants will give the fish comfort and a feeling of security. I
don't think they care if the plants are fake or not. :-)