Old 04-04-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
John Sankey

Default VHO vs. Standard Fluorescent

"My light hood has a sticker that says 30" / 20watt. Does this mean it is
only safe to use a 20 watt bulb in it and that I will need to buy a new
hood, specially made to handle VHO bulbs if that's what I want to go with?"

If the VHO is marked other than 20 watts, it won't work with the
ballast in your hood. You are most unlikely to find a hood with a
ballast designed for VHO. (In fact I've never seen one with even
a rapid-start ballast here in Canada!) If you know your
electricity you could try swapping the ballast for one designed
for the tube you want, but it may be too large to fit and it will
probably overheat if the wattage is higher than 20.

I assume you want to increase your light level, but don't know
how experienced you are as a handywoman. Can you modify your cover
to take a complete reflector fixture designed for the higher
lighting you want?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
IDzine01

John, I seriously need help.

They sell plant bulbs to fit my 30 gal so you can grow pretty plants
but they are only 20 watts which equates to about .6 watts / gal but 3
watts per gallon is supposed to be good light for most plants. Why do
they even make the lamps if they aren't bright enough? So I look for
higher wattage but it doesn't exist for my hood. Next I find VHO bulbs
at 75 watts (sounds good don't it?) only it's just the bulbs and there
aren't any hoods to plug the buggers into.

Am I going to have to spend hours on the internet learning how to be an
electrician in order to create some contraption to light my plants?

Let me start fresh.. I have a 30 gallon tank with a hood. I want to be
a better aqua-gardener but I don't know anything. (well, I know fish, I
just don't know plants other then the low light plants I have been
keeping for a few years)

I know nothing about electricity, or wattage, or amps or any of the
stuff in that class I hated in college and had to take twice to finally
pass with a "C". I don't know what a "complete reflector fixture" is
or a "rapid start hood" and I'm certain that replacing my ballasts
(which I will have to Google) will lead to something melting at best or
someone electrocuted at worst. Until yesterday, I had never heard the
acronym VHO.

Ok, now you know where I'm coming from. Should I assume this is
considerably more complicated then buying a light bulb? If I DO need to
buy something else will it be some odd contraption more suitable for a
fish room then a living room? Is the ugly truth that I'm stuck with
java ferns and crypts because that's all I'm ever going to be able to
grow?

Thanks for all your help... and patience.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
JockoBailey

"IDzine01" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Do a Google for VHO retrofit.
You will probably have to add cooling fans along with the ballast and tubes

Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
default

IDzine01 wrote:
John, I seriously need help.

giggle...

So, you want more light, eh? What kind of hood do you have now? If
it's the (normal to me) glass and plastic hood with a separate light
that sits on top then a retro-fit kit is really pretty easy. If it's a
modular thingy then I don't have any experience and it may or may not
be more difficult. Also, if you have a separate strip light that sits
up there, you can easily replace it with a same sized fixture that
comes with a 65 watt tube.

So, what's your light fixture like?

steve

Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

On 4 Apr 2006 10:09:53 -0700, "IDzine01"
wrote:

[...]

Look into the compact fluorescent refit kits sold by

www.ahsupply.com.

I've used their stuff several times, it has always worked.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Larry

wrote:

John, I seriously need help.

They sell plant bulbs to fit my 30 gal so you can grow pretty plants
but they are only 20 watts which equates to about .6 watts / gal but 3
watts per gallon is supposed to be good light for most plants. Why do
they even make the lamps if they aren't bright enough? So I look for
higher wattage but it doesn't exist for my hood. Next I find VHO bulbs
at 75 watts (sounds good don't it?) only it's just the bulbs and there
aren't any hoods to plug the buggers into.

Am I going to have to spend hours on the internet learning how to be an
electrician in order to create some contraption to light my plants?

I think you'll need to invest in another hood. I had a standard
bulb(20w) for my 26g. and when I put plants in I had to go to a high
output source(55w) which in turn meant new ballasts to handle the
load. Cost about $75cdn. New bulb is worth $40 and lsts only
5-6months(before I notice decline in lower plant growth) boohoo.

Larry
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mister Gardener

wrote:

[...]

You'd come out ahead for the money and the headaches by simply
purchasing a glass cover for your tank and a compact fluorescent strip
light. A single strip 55W or 65W fixture would give you a very healthy
2 watts per gallon, which will allow you to grow most popular plants
very nicely - 3W per gallon and up are going to require a commitment
from you to consider adding CO2 and some serious fertilization. I
think I just wrote a message similar to this a while ago to someone.
Maybe I'm just jealous because I can't afford super lighting and a
full blown CO2 injection system. No. I know that even if I could
afford those things, I do not have the self discipline I would need to
keep the tank operating at peak levels.

These guys have the best prices I've seen, and I've received good
reports from others that have purchased here.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...TS&Category=25

They're a little steep on postage, around $15 if I recall, but they
still come out ahead of the competition.

-- Mister Gardener
Old 06-04-2006, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.

"John Sankey" wrote in message
[...]

If you are going to switch bulb types and can afford the initial cost and
the continuing electrical cost in money then get a good metal halide ballast
unit with reflector and 175 watt or higher bulb and hang the bulb over the
aquarium from the ceiling with a secure ceiling hook. 175 watts of light
should be enough ;-). Metal halide is very promising - now if only they
could wind the transformer(s) for them faster and cheaper so it all gets
cheaper....Good luck and later!

Old 06-04-2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
IDzine01

Thanks all!
I'm thinking that 175 w metal halide (AKA The Sun) may be a bit much in
the living room of my rented apartment. ;-) I think I will look more
into Mr..Gardener's recommendation of a piece of glass and a compact
fluorescent strip light. That seems easy and effective. Bill's link
seems like a particularly good off the shelf fit too and I like the
style it comes in.

You guys really came up with many more ideas then I could have hoped
for. Thanks so much.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mister Gardener

On 6 Apr 2006 05:52:52 -0700, "IDzine01"
wrote:

Thanks all!
I'm thinking that 175 w metal halide (AKA The Sun) may be a bit much in
the living room of my rented apartment. ;-) I think I will look more
into Mr..Gardener's recommendation of a piece of glass and a compact
fluorescent strip light. That seems easy and effective. Bill's link
seems like a particularly good off the shelf fit too and I like the
style it comes in.

You guys really came up with many more ideas then I could have hoped
for. Thanks so much.

Hinged glass covers are sold at most online pet retailers, I have
never looked in stores, so I don't know. At some online sites you can
even buy the hinge separately. I've done that. They are a couple of
inches shorter than the glass and can easily be cut shorter with
scissors. I've had to trim a couple of the ready made glass covers
because they were a quarter inch too long, my friend at the hardware
store does this for me - so in light of my experience, you may do just
as well getting the glass or Lucite cut for you locally.

-- Mister Gardener

Old 08-04-2006, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Mid posted.

"IDzine01" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks all!
I'm thinking that 175 w metal halide (AKA The Sun) may be a bit much in
the living room of my rented apartment. ;-)

You wouldn't believe what some hydroponics experts use! ;-) I have heard
tales of them using 1000+ watter metal halides for their hydroponics works!
If you think 175 watts is the sun wait until you see some of those 1000+
watters! Man - think of the energy consumption! Only money blocks the use of
such raw power of light! 175 watts is reasonable in comparison! Good luck -
and yeah - compact fluorescent is still a good way to go.... Good luck all
and later!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mister Gardener

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:38:02 -0700, "Daniel Morrow"
wrote:

You wouldn't believe what some hydroponics experts use! ;-) I have heard
tales of them using 1000+ watter metal halides for their hydroponics works!
If you think 175 watts is the sun wait until you see some of those 1000+
watters! Man - think of the energy consumption! Only money blocks the use of
such raw power of light! 175 watts is reasonable in comparison! Good luck -
and yeah - compact fluorescent is still a good way to go.... Good luck all
and later!

The only hydroponics people that I know are turning a very nice profit
on their crops, and can easily afford the expensive and extensive
lighting.

-- Mister Gardener
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
netDenizen

The only hydroponics people that I know are turning a very nice profit
on their crops, and can easily afford the expensive and extensive
lighting.

Well, in Ontario we get hydroponic lettuce in the grovery store. Also
hothouse tomatoes, although they may not be hydroponic. In Newfoundland
they had a hydroponic cucumber growing operation, but it may have been a
bit of a scam.

Then again in Barrie, Ontario an illegal grow-op in a former brewery was
shut down by police. It seemed an interesting change of product for the
brewery building, and right on major highways for deliveries.

Back on topic, the local hobbyist-type hydroponics store is a great
place for aquarium plant fertilizer ingredients!