Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
-ED

Default Black brush algae..excess phosphates? - Excel

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 04:37:55 -0500, Dick wrote:

160 watts over 55 gallons is almost 3 watts per gallon. I use 1.5 w/g
or lower as the definition of "low light." I don't know what happens
when low light plants are exposed to "high light" conditions. Could
this be a problem?

dick

It could be a problem when you tack another zero to the utility bill.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Dick

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:02:47 GMT, -ED wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 04:37:55 -0500, Dick wrote:

160 watts over 55 gallons is almost 3 watts per gallon. I use 1.5 w/g
or lower as the definition of "low light." I don't know what happens
when low light plants are exposed to "high light" conditions. Could
this be a problem?

dick

It could be a problem when you tack another zero to the utility bill.

The news reporters always scream about the price of gasoline. I am
more concerned about the cost of natural gas and electricity. I don't
drive much anymore.

Oh well, you can't take it with you and I can't think of anyone or any
organization I want to give it to.

Power to the people (and the fish)! g

dick
Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Dick" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:02:47 GMT, -ED wrote:
It could be a problem when you tack another zero to the utility bill.

===

Oh well, you can't take it with you and I can't think of anyone or any
organization I want to give it to.

=======================
Don't forget the ASPCA and other animal shelters and charities........
--
Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
-ED

"Dick" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:02:47 GMT, -ED wrote:
It could be a problem when you tack another zero to the utility bill..

===

Oh well, you can't take it with you and I can't think of anyone or any
organization I want to give it to.

=======================
Don't forget the ASPCA and other animal shelters and charities........

ASPCA and St. Jude's will do for me.
--
Save The Planet For Another Day...
Old 05-06-2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

"-ED" wrote in message
news On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 16:42:16 -0500, Koi-Lo None wrote:

Don't forget the ASPCA and other animal shelters and charities........

ASPCA and St. Jude's will do for me.
===================
Our estate will go to our children when we'e gone. We do donate to
Goodwill, Union Rescue Mission and of course St. Judes down in Memphis TN.
That's all we can handle right now with my husband semi-retired.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
dc

Dick wrote in
:

My only problem is pruning the excess growth. I hate throwing out
perfectly healthy plants.

Pruning is part of keeping a plant healthy; without it the plant will look
untidy and being to suffer and die back as it chokes itself out.

In the wild it is natural for a plant to become damaged for one reason or
another. The damage allows the plant to branch and spread. Healthy plants
respond to pruning by producing new growth. Growth unchecked is actually
unnatural.

How much are you pruning? Local aquarium societies often trade plant
cuttings amongst themselves. If you are pruning an enormous amount of
healthy growth, your LFS may be interested in providing you with a small
store credit for your cuttings. 99% of the Java moss we sell comes from
customers or from our own display tanks. I can't remember the last time we
had to order any in.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
dc

Dick wrote in
:

160 watts over 55 gallons is almost 3 watts per gallon. I use 1.5 w/g
or lower as the definition of "low light." I don't know what happens
when low light plants are exposed to "high light" conditions. Could
this be a problem?

Yes. Excessive light will damage low light plants and cause algae
problems.

If your tank is extremely low in macro-nutrients you may not see much algae
from excessive light, but the light still may still burn out the
chloroplastid cells and shock or just dwarf the plant.

Even bright light plants may become overrun with algae if it isn't balanced
off with sufficient CO2.

Anubias and Madagascan lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis) are prime
examples of plants that don't fair well and/or become overrun with algae
under very bright direct light.