Old 26-04-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Default Black brush algae..excess phosphates?

I have been battling BBA for a while now in my 55 gallon freshwater
tank. I know that excess phosphates are one contibuting factor.
Untill recently I was unable to find a test to tell me what my
phosphate levels were.

Well, I finally found a phosphate test and it says that the phosphate
levels in my tank are 2 ppm. I also tested my tap water and the levels
are the same (2 ppm).

My question is, what level of phosphate is considered "excessive" pr
high...does BBA need a certain level in order to thrive?

I have recently purchased some "phosban" and put some into my canister
filter. The next day my phosphate level was at 0.5 ppm.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 26-04-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
MEAlston

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been battling BBA for a while now in my 55 gallon freshwater
tank. I know that excess phosphates are one contibuting factor.
Untill recently I was unable to find a test to tell me what my
phosphate levels were.

Well, I finally found a phosphate test and it says that the phosphate
levels in my tank are 2 ppm. I also tested my tap water and the levels
are the same (2 ppm).

Where did you find the phosphate tester? -ED

Old 26-04-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

I bought mine at a "petland" store. It is manufactured by Aquarium
Pharmaceuticals. Here is a link to the AP site:
http://aquariumpharm.com/en_us/produ...yname=TestKits

Old 27-04-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Even if the PO4 test is correct, your enmtire assumption about the
cause(not the correlation) of PO4 being the root or even the
contributing gfactor to BBA is flatly wrong. This was shown over a
decade ago both in the USA and in Germany.
We limited the PO4 to less than 0.1ppm, which is about as low as any
decent test kit can go, which was a Hach and a Lamotte test kit and we
used KH2PO4 for standards to check if the test kits where accurately
reading.

We found no corelation between BBa and PO4 levels, if anything, there
was a strong relationship between higher PO4 levels and lower presence
of BBA.

In any event, folks routinely on most popular aquatic plant forums and
boards add KH2PO4 to maintain 2-3ppm of PO4 through the week. They have
no BBA. I've been adding PO4 for at least 15 years. I have no BBA.

Sio if you accept that high PO4 causes algae/BBA, where is my algae?
This hypothesis is wrong, this is a myth and has been said as such.

The information you got that is was caused by high/excess PO4 is very
outdated, 20-30 years or more old and based on __myth__, not any
testing.

If someone says algae is caused by X, I add X to an otherwise healthy
tank, and I do not get algae, it's difficult to sugegst that X causes
algae.

If you want to stop BBA, learn how to use CO2 if you add that.
Low and variable CO2 levels are the only cause for BBA I'm aware off in
CO2 enriched tanks.
In non CO2 tanks, stop doing water changes and add enough to top off
for evaporation.

For the CO2 tanks, add enough to get about 25-30ppm and keep it there
throughout the day peroid.

That's it and you do not need PO4 removers, they will not help.

Regards,

Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Old 31-05-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Mark Baldwin

Actually BBA appeared in my tank once my pH sensor went faulty and lowered
my pH to 6.2 - that was some 80+ppm of CO2! It quickly took over.

The only way I know of destroying it is to use Flourish Excel, you need to
perform the initial dose and then everyday thereafter, do a 2x or 3x dose
for 2 weeks. When you put the stuff in the tank, squirt it directly onto the
algae - it will die within a couple of days going red and then white.

Also up your CO2 to at least 30ppm - apparently this stops it growing but
I'm not convinced about this tbh.

Of course make sure you tank are in balance, all the proper plant nutrients,
low phosphate (0.1ppm), low nitrate (5ppm) and get your plants growing. BBA
will gradually die off if your plants are growing well and everything is in
balance.

--
Best regards
Mark

oups.com...

Old 31-05-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

Default Black brush algae..excess phosphates? - Excel

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Mark Baldwin" wrote in message

The only way I know of destroying it is to use Flourish Excel, you need to
perform the initial dose and then everyday thereafter, do a 2x or 3x dose
for 2 weeks. When you put the stuff in the tank, squirt it directly onto
the algae - it will die within a couple of days going red and then white.

Mark, that didn't work in my tanks. All the Excel did was stop it from
spreading. It never turned white. It took several algae eaters to clean up
the tanks plus the Excel and micronutrients. Now however, I have a black
stringy, wiry algae none of them will eat. I'm going through Excel like a
drunk goes through a 6-pack.

Also up your CO2 to at least 30ppm - apparently this stops it growing but
I'm not convinced about this tbh.

Of course make sure you tank are in balance, all the proper plant
nutrients, low phosphate (0.1ppm), low nitrate (5ppm) and get your plants
growing. BBA will gradually die off if your plants are growing well and
everything is in balance.

--
Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Aquarium FAQ are at: http://faq.thekrib.com/
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö ~~~~ }((((({*

Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
dc

"Koi-Lo" None At This Time wrote in :

Mark, that didn't work in my tanks. All the Excel did was stop it
from spreading. It never turned white. It took several algae eaters
to clean up the tanks plus the Excel and micronutrients. Now however,
I have a black stringy, wiry algae none of them will eat. I'm going
through Excel like a drunk goes through a 6-pack.

Fighting algae is about finding the balance.

Not enough light for healthy plants = algae.

Too much light and not enough CO2 for healthy plants = algae.

Too much CO2 and not enough light = dead fish and algae.

Wrong temperature = algae.

Improper any of the aforementioned for plants to utilize the available
macro nutrients = algae.

Excel, which is just an organic carbon compound just helps you find a
balance in a particular area where your tank may have been lacking. You
won't have the same degree of success with it in all tanks.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Dick

On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:14:21 -0500, "Koi-Lo" None At This Time
wrote:

[...]

I had black hair algae in my 75 gallon tank soon after I set it up. I
noticed platies would eat the new strings, but not touch the longer
ones. I pulled out all plants with the hair, gravel with hair,
cleaned rocks and ornaments, bought more live bearers and Siamese
Algae Eaters, and hoped. I did something right. Over 3 years later
and now I have 5 tanks of various sizes and no Black Hair Algae.

dick
Old 03-06-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

==============================
Fighting algae is about finding the balance.

Not enough light for healthy plants = algae.

Too much light and not enough CO2 for healthy plants = algae.

Too much CO2 and not enough light = dead fish and algae.

Wrong temperature = algae.

Improper any of the aforementioned for plants to utilize the available
macro nutrients = algae.

Excel, which is just an organic carbon compound just helps you find a
balance in a particular area where your tank may have been lacking. You
won't have the same degree of success with it in all tanks.

========================
After all these years this is the first time I got really serious about
growing plants in these tanks. I mean other than vals and hornwart and an
anubia or two. The job seems complicated and expensive - a hobby in an of
itself.
--
Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

"Dick" wrote in message

I had black hair algae in my 75 gallon tank soon after I set it up. I
noticed platies would eat the new strings, but not touch the longer
ones.

My Mickey Mouse platys aren't big algae eaters. Their tank isn't a problem
with the black hair stuff anyway since it's so full of Java moss, wisteria,
duckweed and other plants. In fact they're running out of swimming space.
The worst of the black hair is in the two 55g fancy GF tanks.

I pulled out all plants with the hair,

Geeze,... I'd have nothing left. It's spreading over all the plants,
especially along the edges. :-(

gravel with hair,
cleaned rocks and ornaments, bought more live bearers and Siamese
Algae Eaters, and hoped.

Did the SAE actually eat the stuff?

Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Dick

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 15:08:55 -0500, "Koi-Lo" None wrote:

"dc" wrote in message
1...
[...]

I think it depends how fancy you want to be. My first plants died as
they were not low light. Next I ordered a variety pack for "low
light". Some died, but those that survived have done well for over 3
years and I have used starters to populate my other tanks.

I don't use fertilizer nor CO2 nor special sub layers. I have 3
different types of gravels, but the plants do well in all 3.

My only problem is pruning the excess growth. I hate throwing out
perfectly healthy plants.

I think that those that talk about ferilizers, substrates and CO2 want
to match the tank condition to the plants they want to have. I work
it the other way and have plants that are happy with the tank
conditions.

My tanks are very attractive to my eyes and the fish are happy to have
resting areas. They run into the heavy growth to rest and I have no
need for caves. I do have 3 ornaments that a few of the fish use, but
the majority are content with their leafy glades.

dick
Old 03-06-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Dick

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 15:14:55 -0500, "Koi-Lo" None wrote:

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Can't say I know who was doing what. None of the fish were interested
in the long hair, that is why I pulled and cleaned. I did see the
live bearers eating the new growth, mollies and platies.

By the way, the gravel that I removed Ispread on newspapers in the sun
and bleached it with sun rays. I then returned it to the tank.

Perhaps the replacement plants (see other plant post) balanced the
tank better.

dick
Old 04-06-2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

"Dick" wrote in message
I think it depends how fancy you want to be. My first plants died as
they were not low light. Next I ordered a variety pack for "low
light". Some died, but those that survived have done well for over 3
years and I have used starters to populate my other tanks.

I also have such plants as mentioned. They thrive on neglect but fairly
good lighting - hornwart, vals, anubias, Java moss and a few old crypts that
lived and grew slowly. I have four 40w fluorescent bulbs over each 55g
tank. I can't fit anymore.

I don't use fertilizer nor CO2 nor special sub layers. I have 3
different types of gravels, but the plants do well in all 3.

My only problem is pruning the excess growth. I hate throwing out
perfectly healthy plants.

I know the feeling. The hornwart and vals can really take over. All my
hornwart died at one time last winter, but for one small piece in a 10g
tank. I am re-growing it from that one small piece. ;-) I may just go
back to these old favorites.

I think that those that talk about ferilizers, substrates and CO2 want
to match the tank condition to the plants they want to have. I work
it the other way and have plants that are happy with the tank
conditions.

There you go! I do that with my fish. With my hard alkaline water I stick
to fish that thrive in it rather than those that don't. With the plants I
thought I'd try something new....... some new plants.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Dick

160 watts over 55 gallons is almost 3 watts per gallon. I use 1.5 w/g
or lower as the definition of "low light." I don't know what happens
when low light plants are exposed to "high light" conditions. Could
this be a problem?

dick

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:59:42 -0500, "Koi-Lo" None wrote:

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

.. .

Old 04-06-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

Default Black brush algae..excess phosphates? - Excel & algae

"Dick" wrote in message
160 watts over 55 gallons is almost 3 watts per gallon. I use 1.5 w/g
or lower as the definition of "low light." I don't know what happens
when low light plants are exposed to "high light" conditions. Could
this be a problem?

========================
I don't think so since this wiry algae isn't growing in the 10g tanks and
they're even brighter. Before I added the second fixture to the 55s they
had a really disgusting blackish red sooty looking algae spreading
everywhere. The 55s are really too dim with only 80w. The tanks even look
better as do the fish with 160w per tank.

The odd thing is when I first started to add the Excel and micronutrients
the plants really picked up for awhile. The new otos and plec's cleaned the
plants and all was well - then suddenly this black wiry stuff shows up. The
plants are blah again no matter how faithfully I add the fertilizers (not
exceeding the recommended doses).
--
Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952.