Old 27-04-2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Lynsey

Default wasabi farming

Hi Folks

This might be slightly off topic, but I thought you might be
interested. I write an e-zine about aquaculture, and I've recently
published an interview with Michel Van Mellaerts who (with his wife)
have developed a method of growing wasabi in a recirculating system. In
the wild, wasabi grows in coldwater streams. It does appear to be one
of those plants that are not that ready to be domesticated in a mad
rush, and I think (sadly) it's absolutely not an aquaria species. I
wouldn't mind a nice fresh wasabi plant or two growing in my tanks.

The Van Mellaerts spent a great deal of time and effort getting the
technique sorted out - but now pretty much are forging ahead producing
top grade wasabi. I'd say they are working on a scale way outside the
average gardener, but it's interesting to see how they managed
never-the-less. They're now exploring the nutraceutical potential of
wasabi.

Other than writing the interview I've got no connection with New
Zealand Wasabi Ltd, and I suggest if you want more information about
growing wasabi for market etc to contact Michel, or at least have a
look at their web site http://www.wasabi.co.nz. My interest was in the
(aqua)culture of an edible aquatic plant, which apart from the various
rice/wild rice options seems to be somewhat restricted - yes, plenty of
edible aquatic plants, farming them seems to be an area ripe for
development.

The interview is at http://aquaculture.ako.net.nz/?p=109.

Cheers
Lynsey

Old 28-04-2006, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
bassett

"Lynsey" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Bloody JAFA's are everywhere.. and your right, it is off-topic.

Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard) r brooks United Kingdom 6 21-11-2013 12:36 PM
wasabi farming Lynsey Edible Gardening 0 27-04-2006 08:56 AM
eliminate fertilizer and herbicide steps in farming Concreteblock farming; Agriculture of t Oz Plant Science 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
eliminate fertilizer and herbicide steps in farming Concreteblock farming; Agriculture of t Oz sci.agriculture 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
wasabi [email protected] Edible Gardening 13 26-03-2003 02:56 PM