Old 09-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Earl D Fitzgerald

Default UGF question (was Algea in the undergravel filter (on purpose))

Hydrogen sulfide can develop under the UG plates with is not something
plants roots can handle.

That would be my best guest.

Da'fishboy

"Ben" wrote in message

Wright's still around. I doubt you'll find much support for algae.
Less algae is better for plant tanks. UG filters are not what folks
want for the plants either.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Besides plants roots getting tangled in the UGF, why are UGFs negative
for plant growth?

Thanks,
Ben

Old 09-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Ben

wrote:
Ben wrote in message ...
Besides plants roots getting tangled in the UGF, why are UGFs negative
for plant growth?

Gives a better environment for roots to extract iron and other
nutrients from the gravel. Too much flow removed a fair amount of
this.

While at slower growth rates, folks that fertilize the water column
etc, this is not as big of an issue, you can see noticable
differences.

Point is, why have a UFG if you don't need one in the first place, it
takes up a good deal of tank space inside you tank and has ugly lift
tubes that need to be hidden.

the tangled root issue can be gotten around easily. Reverse flow UG's
work much better. But still, it's something you simply do not need.

You are growing plants here, not bacteria or algae(unless you like
those).

So grow the plants well. Add 3-4inches of flourite, some dirty mulm
from an established tank, a bit of ground peat and your done.

That will help a tank better than any other set up as far as the
substrate goes.

Wright would likely agree with it too

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thanks for the info. I was never into real plants but was thinking of
doing my next tank with them. I've always had lots of plastic ones and
i love UGFs. (My pl*co LOVES the "ugly lift tubes", as did my angel).
SO who knows what I'll do when I finally set up my next tank but at
least now I'll have more info whichever way I go!

Thanks,
Ben

Old 10-04-2003, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I was never into real plants but was thinking of
doing my next tank with them. I've always had lots of plastic ones and
i love UGFs. (My pl*co LOVES the "ugly lift tubes", as did my angel).
SO who knows what I'll do when I finally set up my next tank but at
least now I'll have more info whichever way I go!

Thanks,
Ben

Ben, I was big pleco guy till I got into plants a bit too much. I used
deep 2-3 mm sand for my substrate which many of the plecos seemed to
like that I had. Many like to dig. the samd was too fine to have a
regular plate style UG so I made my own CPVC 1/2 pipe grid and ran it
reverse with a maxi jet powerhead.

This works very well and cost at most 10$ for even the largest of
UG's. Plastic plants with a good crust of green algae look nice and
was something I strove for on my rocks/wood etc.
Floating water sprite is a nice plant they will not eat and grows easy
even if you don't do anything different than you are now. Makes nice
shaded spots in the tank for fish. Soaks up NO3 etc.

I kept many plants over the years without doing anything special. Most
did pretty good. Water sprite, a few Crypts, moss, java fern, Anubias
etc.

You can get into plants at whatever level you so choose. There are no
"rules":-)

The plants will be here when you are ready.
Regards,
Tom Barr