GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New Aquarium Setup (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/143767-new-aquarium-setup.html)

[email protected] 09-05-2006 09:51 PM

New Aquarium Setup

Hi. I have kept aquariums for awhile and have always wanted to try one
with live plants, but fear has stopped me! I would like to start out
with a 10 gal. tank to see how it goes. I have an economy incandescent
hood with 2 all-glass 6500k 10 wt. flourescent bulbs to use that a guy
in a LSF assured me would be adequate for most freshwater plants if
left on for 12 hours daily. All-glass advertises that they are
suitable for aquarium plants, as well. Since this is my first attempt,
I have a few questions I am hoping somebody can answer: What is the
best thing to use for substrate? I have read that Flourite is good.
Would I need to supplement with plant food periodically, and if so,
does anybody have a recommendation? Also, I have read that it is not
necessary nor is it advisable to use airstones in the tank as they
drive off much-needed CO2 from the water - do you agree with that?
Lastly, is it necessary to get some sort of CO2 generator, as well, or
can I get by with out one? BTW, the PH of my water is around 7.5 out
of the well. Thanks for any and all advice.

Mark Baldwin 31-05-2006 05:11 PM

New Aquarium Setup

I use Deponit covered with inert gravel. I also use Dennerle plant
fertiliser and undergravel heater cable to provide water movement throught
the substrate.

The plants grow like mad!

However - you will have to ensure the plants have all the nutrients they
need, if they are missing just one then they will stop growing and algae
will take advantage of the unused nutrients.

Ideally you want to add CO2 to around 20-30ppm - Flourish Excel is an liquid
CO2 formula that apparantly is a third as effective as proper CO2 so you
could try this if CO2 injection is too costly/too much hassle!

Keep nitrate down! The best way to do this is to make sure your plants have
everything they need nutrient wise, then they will soak up the nitrate but
beware of overfeeding your fish since this will add more nitrate to your
tank than the plants can consume, the nitrate will accumulate and the algae
will thrive!

Keep phospate down to 0.1ppm (with ROWAPhos) and nitrate under 5ppm and with
good plant growth you will see very little algae.

--
Best regards
Mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. I have kept aquariums for awhile and have always wanted to try one
with live plants, but fear has stopped me! I would like to start out
with a 10 gal. tank to see how it goes. I have an economy incandescent
hood with 2 all-glass 6500k 10 wt. flourescent bulbs to use that a guy
in a LSF assured me would be adequate for most freshwater plants if
left on for 12 hours daily. All-glass advertises that they are
suitable for aquarium plants, as well. Since this is my first attempt,
I have a few questions I am hoping somebody can answer: What is the
best thing to use for substrate? I have read that Flourite is good.
Would I need to supplement with plant food periodically, and if so,
does anybody have a recommendation? Also, I have read that it is not
necessary nor is it advisable to use airstones in the tank as they
drive off much-needed CO2 from the water - do you agree with that?
Lastly, is it necessary to get some sort of CO2 generator, as well, or
can I get by with out one? BTW, the PH of my water is around 7.5 out
of the well. Thanks for any and all advice.

|[email protected] (Koi-Lo 01-06-2006 04:43 AM

New Aquarium Setup

Who really givesa a rats aass about the way you do it. There is only
one way and thats my way the Koi lo way