Old 19-05-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Tigercha

Default Budding Aquarium Plant grower

I currently have a tank of 115litres / 30 US Gallon Tank using a fluval
3plus is it beneficial or
not to have plants for an aquarium that contains Fish, my understanding is
they help remove the
nitrites.
The tank has two four year old goldfish (one is actually a Koi)
I was looking towards the following types as I have read on plantgeeks

Java moss
Java Fern
Lace Java Fern
Narrow leaf Java Fern
Cryptocoryne sp.
Anubias sp.
Guppy grass
Hornwort

I have not sourced the plants yet, but these are on my shopping list.

I have my nursery tank which is only 7 Gallon, but I would like to use it
too start off my plants before introducing them to my fish which are
best described as savages when it comes to plants :-)

TIA
Sean Chambers

Old 20-05-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Fri, 19 May 2006 16:00:29 GMT, "Tigercha"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Sean,

I have 5 tanks and all are planted. I enjoy the plants almost as much
as the fish. I am no "green thumb" and do little in my yard or tanks.

You didn't mention lighting. Plants are rated by the amount of light
they need to grow. All of my tanks are "low light", that is they have
1.5 watts/gallon or less light. I also found that not all low light
plants fit every tank. I would get a variety of plants and let them
select which are fit.

There are others that like being "engineers" that is creating the
"right" conditions for the plants they want to have grow. I am too
lazy for such an effort.

If your lighting is a "low light" level, you can do a search of Google
for "low light" or a particular plant from the list you have. I don't
know the names of my plants, I bought them over the Internet in
package of LL plants. Not all survived, but the rest are doing fine
after 3 years.

dick

Old 22-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

I think that plants in with Goldfish and Koi would be tough, since both
are Herbivores. I don't think the plants would grow fast enough to
satisfy the fish.

Old 22-05-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Old 24-05-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Budding Aquarium Plant grower - fish and plants

*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think that plants in with Goldfish and Koi would be tough, since both
are Herbivores. I don't think the plants would grow fast enough to
satisfy the fish.

Koi will grub plants out of their pots if the pot rim is low enough under
the water. I keep the rims around the water surface. Large egg-rock
(Lowe's) over the soil will discourage them unless they're large koi. They
also love the roots of water lettuce and water hyacinth. In my experience
GF don't bother plants much if they're well-fed.
--
Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952.