GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/145927-rock-s-messed-up-my-ph.html)

IDzine01 03-06-2006 11:44 PM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH?

About a month ago I added three rocks (well, 2 large and several small
matching ones) to my aquarium and a few days later my male dwarf
gourami began to loose color, stop building nests and won't spawn.

Here's his photo, he looks pathetic...

http://static.flickr.com/59/159533615_457de25328_o.jpg

I know NOTHING about identifying rocks and stones so I'm posting their
photos in hope that someone can tell me which one(s) altered my pH.
(Was 6.9 and is now 7.7)

I was hoping the gourami would grow used to the new pH but he's still
pale after a month. The rocks are holding up an embankment so if it's
just one rock that is the culpret I'd rather just remove the one rather
then the entire grouping.

We'll call this rock 1:
http://static.flickr.com/77/159533616_f8f5131e2a_o.jpg

Rock 2:
http://static.flickr.com/53/159533617_fa90333f8d_o.jpg

Rock 3: (one of several)
http://static.flickr.com/75/159533618_f46d99a14b_o.jpg

Thanks guys n gals. I know it's not really a 'plant' question but
you'all seem to know a lot about these aquascaping things.

Christie

~Roy the good old boy! 04-06-2006 12:31 AM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH?

Evidently you added a rock that was calcium based for the ph to go so
high. Limestone will do that. Take the rocks and add a few drops of
vinegar on a clean spot on each one . If it fizzes thats the
culprit....Low PH makes calcium based subtances start to dissolve or
leech into the water raising the ph....

Koi-Lo 04-06-2006 12:51 AM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH? - pale fish

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"IDzine01" wrote in message
oups.com...
About a month ago I added three rocks (well, 2 large and several small
matching ones) to my aquarium and a few days later my male dwarf
gourami began to loose color, stop building nests and won't spawn.

Here's his photo, he looks pathetic...

http://static.flickr.com/59/159533615_457de25328_o.jpg

He almost looks emaciated. Is he eating? If you don't want to remove the
new rocks can you move him to another aquarium?

I know NOTHING about identifying rocks and stones so I'm posting their
photos in hope that someone can tell me which one(s) altered my pH.
(Was 6.9 and is now 7.7)

Where did you get these stones? Are they from a pet store? If so they
should be safe.
--
Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952.

~Roy the good old boy! 04-06-2006 01:04 AM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH? - pale fish

An awfull lot of assumptions made by an inexperienced person that is
known to pass out bad info and make haphazzard guesses if she can not
find a copy / paste on another website that fits the need. I can buy
calcium based rocks at my LFS asshole, and its somethinmg I would not
put in a tank which I desire to have a low ph in...........Yet
another jerk that relies on a LFS giving good info out..duh!

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:51:22 -0500, "Koi-Lo" None wrote:
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

legroups.com...

IDzine01 04-06-2006 02:39 AM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH? - pale fish

He almost looks emaciated. Is he eating? If you don't want to remove the
new rocks can you move him to another aquarium?

He doesn't pig out like the females because he's usually guarding his
nest but he eats well daily. I could move him to another tank but I'm
not opposed to removing the rock that is causing the problem. He's the
main focus of the tank so I want to get him back into good health.

Koi-Lo wrote:
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

oups.com...

Koi-Lo 04-06-2006 04:08 PM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH? - bad rocks?

"IDzine01" wrote in message
ups.com...
He almost looks emaciated. Is he eating? If you don't want to remove the
new rocks can you move him to another aquarium?

He doesn't pig out like the females because he's usually guarding his
nest but he eats well daily.

* Have you considered he may just be growing old? Old fish often get that
"underweight" look. If he's young you can also try to give him a break from
breeding by removing the females - and see what happens. If he's the only
one of several fish affected then it's surely not one of the rocks.

I could move him to another tank but I'm
not opposed to removing the rock that is causing the problem. He's the
main focus of the tank so I want to get him back into good health.

Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952. Frugal ponding since 1995.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Rude, inane or obscene messages are not mine .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~{@

Bill 09-06-2006 02:57 AM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH?

lid (~Roy the good old boy!) Spaketh Thusly:

Evidently you added a rock that was calcium based for the ph to go so
high. Limestone will do that. Take the rocks and add a few drops of
vinegar on a clean spot on each one . If it fizzes thats the
culprit....Low PH makes calcium based subtances start to dissolve or
leech into the water raising the ph....

Sometimes it's hard to see the reaction with vinegar, if the above doesn't
work, try a stronger acid for the test. Muriatic (hydrochloric) is pretty
cheap and usually available at your local hardware or pool supply store. Or
steal a few drops from a car battery(sulfuric). It's not going in the tank,
remember, it's going on the rock out of the tank.

Or you could just pull them all, stabilize the water, and put them back one
type at a time.

I can't tell by just looking, but #2 appears to be the same as some of mine
that are OK. I'm leary of #3.

Let us know how you make out.
wrote:
[...]

Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net
Molon Labe!

LaieTechie 12-06-2006 08:28 AM

Which Rock(s) Messed Up My pH?

I would set up 3 test tubs (gallon ice cream containers would do). Fill
them with water and let them set for at least 24 hours. Take the pH of
each. Now add a rock to each. Twenty-four hours later test the pH levels
again. Keep this up for a week. A calcium based rock (#3 is suspect)
will raise the pH.

ALWAYS do this procedure before adding _any_ rocks to your actual tanks.

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 14:44:06 -0700, IDzine01 wrote:

We'll call this rock 1:
http://static.flickr.com/77/159533616_f8f5131e2a_o.jpg

Looks like standard sandstone. Depending on the source it might be
calcium carbonate (such as coral sand) or granite (sand found in
mid-continent deserts).

Rock 2:
http://static.flickr.com/53/159533617_fa90333f8d_o.jpg

I can't identify this kind of rock, but definitely doesn't look calcium
based.

Rock 3: (one of several)
http://static.flickr.com/75/159533618_f46d99a14b_o.jpg

Definitely has a crystalline structure to it. I can't identify it.

HTH,
Laie Techie