Old 20-06-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

Default Tall, single stem plant question

I don't know its name, but I have had it in my 75 gallon tank for
years. It has a single stem with small, round leaves radiating from
the stem. I have often had to trim the tops as they would reach the
top and then lay over on the surface. I started with a few cuttings
and transfered them to other tanks. They always started easily and
multiplied. Not a great looking plant, but I like having them in the
back of the tanks. In the last year I removed them from all but the
75 gallon tank.

So, what's the problem. In the last few months the leaves fell off
stems, leaving them bare while continuing to grow taller. Unsightly!

Also, many of the leaves developed dark edges and a curl. Unsightly!

My first effort has been to thin to small bunches leaving open space
for light to reach the bottom. Also I used my finger to clear the
gravel in the open spaces of roots.

The tank is low light, no CO2, no fertilizers (other than from the
fish). It is too soon to rate the thining.

Can anyone tell me the name, and hazard a guess about the possibility
of the thining solving the problem?

dick
Old 20-06-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Dick" wrote in message
news

Can anyone tell me the name, and hazard a guess about the possibility
of the thining solving the problem?
=============Brevity snip!

I have some Ludwigia that grow like that. Can that be the plant you have?
--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.

Old 20-06-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:39:32 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Dick" wrote in message
news

Can anyone tell me the name, and hazard a guess about the possibility
of the thining solving the problem?

=============Brevity snip!

I have some Ludwigia that grow like that. Can that be the plant you have?

Not that I could see on the Internet.

These stems are about an 1/8 inch in diameter and solid green. The
small, round leaves stick straight out from the stem, each rotated
from the one before it like a staircase. No red or any other color on
the healthy stalks.

dick
Old 21-06-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

"Dick" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:39:32 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:
I have some Ludwigia that grow like that. Can that be the plant you have?

Not that I could see on the Internet.

These stems are about an 1/8 inch in diameter and solid green. The
small, round leaves stick straight out from the stem, each rotated
from the one before it like a staircase. No red or any other color on
the healthy stalks.

==================
It doesn't sound like anything I'm familiar with. There are loads of
aquarium plant websites. You may stumble upon it one day, if so let me know
what it is as you have me curious. Can you post a pic of this plant
somewhere so we can see it?
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-06-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:27:14 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:39:32 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:
I have some Ludwigia that grow like that. Can that be the plant you have?

Not that I could see on the Internet.

These stems are about an 1/8 inch in diameter and solid green. The
small, round leaves stick straight out from the stem, each rotated
from the one before it like a staircase. No red or any other color on
the healthy stalks.

==================
It doesn't sound like anything I'm familiar with. There are loads of
aquarium plant websites. You may stumble upon it one day, if so let me know
what it is as you have me curious. Can you post a pic of this plant
somewhere so we can see it?

At the back of the 75 gallon tank you can see some.

dick

Old 22-06-2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

It doesn't sound like anything I'm familiar with. There are loads of
aquarium plant websites. You may stumble upon it one day, if so let me know
what it is as you have me curious. Can you post a pic of this plant
somewhere so we can see it?

At the back of the 75 gallon tank you can see some.

Bacopa. Nice stuff. Fregrent when you cut it. When it reaches the
top, cut it 1/3 down and replant around the parent. Keep doing it
for a year, then add two sticks of driftwood and enter it in the
AGA content.

And get those big (and nice) crypts out of the foreground - the one
smashing up against the glass.

I'll post a pic of bacopa shortly up close.

--
Need Mercedes parts?
http://parts.mbz.org
Old 22-06-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Bacopa caroliniana
http://images.aquaria.net/plants/Bacopa/caroliniana/

There are hundreds of species of Bacopa worldwide but only
half a dozen are usfeul in aquaria. The two overwhelmingly
common forms are caroliniana (the old "B.amplexicaulis")
and monniera, whic is less common and has smaller leaves.

Also called "Giant red Bacopa"

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 22-06-2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Dick" wrote in message
news

At the back of the 75 gallon tank you can see some.
=============
I can't quite make them out but Richard recognized them as Bacopa. What are
those fish in the 75g tank?
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-06-2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
~Roy~

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:00:16 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

Yep you stutter in real life carol?

"Dick" wrote in message
news

At the back of the 75 gallon tank you can see some.

=============
I can't quite make them out but Richard recognized them as Bacopa. What are
those fish in the 75g tank? Blindness is a symptom of lifestyle in some folks.....Evidently
your not as smart as you think you are huh Carol Too hard to copy
paste a description of a fish to make it look like you know anyhting.
Can you say dumbass?

Old 22-06-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
~Roy~

ok .......so I;m a real asshole..........

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:01:52 -0500, ~Roy~
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:00:16 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

Yep you stutter in real life carol?

news

Old 22-06-2006, 10:36 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:00:16 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Dick" wrote in message
news

At the back of the 75 gallon tank you can see some.

=============
I can't quite make them out but Richard recognized them as Bacopa. What are
those fish in the 75g tank?

Mostly I see SAEs and a couple of Clown Loaches. Most of the species
that are in the 75 gal are not visible in the picture.

dick
Old 22-06-2006, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:32:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

Bacopa caroliniana

Thanks Richard,
Here is a link with a better picture.

Bacopa caroliniana

dick
Old 22-06-2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:32:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

Bacopa caroliniana

Whoops, forgot the link:

http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=043

dick
Old 22-06-2006, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:41:42 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

It doesn't sound like anything I'm familiar with. There are loads of
aquarium plant websites. You may stumble upon it one day, if so let me know
what it is as you have me curious. Can you post a pic of this plant
somewhere so we can see it?

At the back of the 75 gallon tank you can see some.

Bacopa. Nice stuff. Fregrent when you cut it. When it reaches the
top, cut it 1/3 down and replant around the parent. Keep doing it
for a year, then add two sticks of driftwood and enter it in the
AGA content.

And get those big (and nice) crypts out of the foreground - the one
smashing up against the glass.

I'll post a pic of bacopa shortly up close.

http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=043

I took a longer look and notice some differences from what I see in my
tank.

I have never seen any flowers.
My leaves are all the same size and shape.
The leaves are symetrically spaced as with a spriral staircase.
I have never seen two leaves grow opposite each other.

The problem with my plant, partial trimming stops the growth. I
always try to get as close to the bottom of a stem as possible. During
the recent thinning, I pulled bunches with all the roots I could. The
previously trimmed stalks were stiff and short. Every bunch I pulled
had long and plentiful white roots. It was hard to pull just patch of
the stuff as the roots were all so entertwined. I was surprised to
see such healthy and plentiful roots while the leaves on the stems
were looking sickly. Mainly the look comes from the leaves curling
under.

dick