#46   Report Post  
Old 28-06-2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?


"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:
OK... I have 55g tanks and 10g tanks,... all planted. I would love the
information and where I can get cheap fertilizers without the high cost of
shipping and handling ($18 per order). Potassium nitrate is not available
in my area.


-------------------
From: Richard Sexton - view profile
Date: Mon, Mar 27 2006 12:15 am

In article ,

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:
Do you know a good online place to buy hydroponic fertilizers? I can't
find
anywhere local that sells the stuff.


http://gregwatson.com

======
I've already checked out that site last time. 1 lb of Potassium Nitrate from
Greg is $12.08 w/S&H charges. I can get a 4 lb bag of Muriate of Potash
for $1.49 locally. I believe this has been discussed here before. I didn't
see any mixes there that contained all the "micronutrients."

Koi-Lo wrote:
Not aquarium fertilizers.


$3.79 for 8 oz. of aquarium fertilizer isn't cheap when you have a lot of
tanks, some of them large.


You're paying for water and platic. You need to get the dry checmicals
from gregwatson.com or any hydroponics.com franchise. $4 a pound for
KN03 will treat aobuot 10,000 gallosn for about a year.


He charges more to ship it than the cost of the product or does he not
charge you S&H fees? 1 lb of Potassium Nitrate from Greg is $12.08 w/S&H
charges

Koi-Lo wrote:

"2pods" wrote in message
...
I use Seachem "Flourish".
I'm also thinking about Seachem "Excel" in addition.

==================
These are excellent products but it can get expensive if you have a lot of
tanks or have large tanks.


True enough. But, http://www.gregwatson.com sells powders in bulk
so you can make your own. Excel has no second source though (dammit).
Greg's stuff is very very cheap.


If he doesn't add S&H charges. S&H isn't free. $12.08 for 1 lb of
PNitrate isn't cheap for some of us retired folk.

--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on
the pond and aquaria groups.
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{( ~~~~ }((((({*





  #47   Report Post  
Old 28-06-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Wndlen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?

Face it Carol, your just a cheap bitch ain't ya. Anyone who feeds
their fish cat food from Wally world. Oh, why not make uo yoour mind.,
ONe minute yu and mushroom Randy has a business the next time your
both retired.....too many lies to keep straight I presume......Maybe
the state of TN,needs to be sent a note sinc eyur selling or bartering
in fish and goods and goods are afterall tax able in that state as
they are considered an income, since they are more of a hobby item
than a food item, so they are not considered a non-taxable bartered
item like corn and potatoes would be......and with the amount yu claim
to sell and trade I am sure its worth the IRS of TN to look into it...

Only one thing worse thana freaking liar Carol and thats a tax cheat
who likes to make the mney and get the goods but scrrew the government
out and let others makeup the losses while you count the profits...


On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:09:52 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ?@...բ wrote:


"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:
OK... I have 55g tanks and 10g tanks,... all planted. I would love the
information and where I can get cheap fertilizers without the high cost of
shipping and handling ($18 per order). Potassium nitrate is not available
in my area.


-------------------
From: Richard Sexton - view profile
Date: Mon, Mar 27 2006 12:15 am

In article ,

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:
Do you know a good online place to buy hydroponic fertilizers? I can't
find
anywhere local that sells the stuff.


http://gregwatson.com

======
I've already checked out that site last time. 1 lb of Potassium Nitrate from
Greg is $12.08 w/S&H charges. I can get a 4 lb bag of Muriate of Potash
for $1.49 locally. I believe this has been discussed here before. I didn't
see any mixes there that contained all the "micronutrients."

Koi-Lo wrote:
Not aquarium fertilizers.


$3.79 for 8 oz. of aquarium fertilizer isn't cheap when you have a lot of
tanks, some of them large.


You're paying for water and platic. You need to get the dry checmicals
from gregwatson.com or any hydroponics.com franchise. $4 a pound for
KN03 will treat aobuot 10,000 gallosn for about a year.


He charges more to ship it than the cost of the product or does he not
charge you S&H fees? 1 lb of Potassium Nitrate from Greg is $12.08 w/S&H
charges

Koi-Lo wrote:

"2pods" wrote in message
...
I use Seachem "Flourish".
I'm also thinking about Seachem "Excel" in addition.
==================
These are excellent products but it can get expensive if you have a lot of
tanks or have large tanks.


True enough. But, http://www.gregwatson.com sells powders in bulk
so you can make your own. Excel has no second source though (dammit).
Greg's stuff is very very cheap.


If he doesn't add S&H charges. S&H isn't free. $12.08 for 1 lb of
PNitrate isn't cheap for some of us retired folk.


You can reach -Ed Alston at

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from
http://www.teranews.com

  #48   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?

In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
Or http://aquaria.net/articles/plants/barr-dose/
=====================================
OK, so you buy the chemicals and "estimate." That can work I suppose. I
bought the Seachem products. I followed the amounts on the containers of
Excel, Iron and trace elements. The new plants still slowly faded
away......


If you're not adding KNO3 that's your problem.

=======================
I added Muriate of Potash. None of the local stores I called had Potassium
Nitrate. The Seachem "Flourish" also contains Potash.


That's potassium chloride. It's a wonder you haven't killed everything
frankly. Who on earth told you to do this?

At least you've found your answer. Way too much potassium and way not
enough nitrate.

You know it might not hurt to familiarize yourself with prior art before
attacking people successful at what you're trying to do while ignoring
their advice.

Just a thought.

It occurs to me a weekly faq of how to fertilize plants might not
be a bad idea.



--
Need Mercedes parts? http://parts.mbz.org
Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff: http://mbz.org
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | http://aquaria.net http://killi.net
  #49   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?

In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:
If he doesn't add S&H charges. S&H isn't free. $12.08 for 1 lb of
PNitrate isn't cheap for some of us retired folk.


May I suggest a pet lizard instead then? Bugs are free food.

I have 15 tanks, two large ones and a pound lasts me about 2 years.


--
Need Mercedes parts? http://parts.mbz.org
Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff: http://mbz.org
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | http://aquaria.net http://killi.net
  #50   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Wndlen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge? Typical class act by Carol aka Koi Lo!



Carol knows all and no one s going to be able to tell Carol a dam
thing. As long at it had potassium in it thats all that mattered. She
being an uneducated boob thought it was just another brand name for
the same item........duh! I would not be surprised she probbaly even
uses it in place of potassium permangamnte and wondered why it done
her fish in......Carol is a total asshole. And its no wonder folks do
not like to see her give nay advice to folks. She has a pretty good
track record of giving out erroneous info...especially when it comes
to bettas....everythng CArol does is on the CHEAP side and goes into
it uneducated and armed only with shit she reads o nthe internet and
assumes is the facts, after all its onthe internet is it not, so it
musyt be true. Wekk if thats the case then CAROL GULLEY IS A FREAKING
KOOK! Bet she will debate yu over that statement though........and in
the end she is gonna prove you wrong sa she will now twist your posts
to reflect her side being right and discredit your side, and then
maybe even sic her sock puppets on you. See where you get with her for
trying to be a nice guy! See why these grups are like they are....Can
you say CAROL!


On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:20:01 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
Or
http://aquaria.net/articles/plants/barr-dose/
=====================================
OK, so you buy the chemicals and "estimate." That can work I suppose. I
bought the Seachem products. I followed the amounts on the containers of
Excel, Iron and trace elements. The new plants still slowly faded
away......

If you're not adding KNO3 that's your problem.

=======================
I added Muriate of Potash. None of the local stores I called had Potassium
Nitrate. The Seachem "Flourish" also contains Potash.


That's potassium chloride. It's a wonder you haven't killed everything
frankly. Who on earth told you to do this?

At least you've found your answer. Way too much potassium and way not
enough nitrate.

You know it might not hurt to familiarize yourself with prior art before
attacking people successful at what you're trying to do while ignoring
their advice.

Just a thought.

It occurs to me a weekly faq of how to fertilize plants might not
be a bad idea.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com



  #51   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Wndlen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?


Evidently you have not visted rec.herpes have you. Carol is also the
resident guru there as she keeps 2,186 species of frogs, turtles and
lizzards and other assorted reps, in her 4 story, 8 axle single wide
victorian mobile home with LP Gas bottles on the tongue with a fancey
cover..that she hand painted with butterflies.

And Carol would not just feed her lizzards and frogs just any old
bugs, she imports them from Brooklyn NY as they grow bigger in her old
neighborhood........


On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:22:59 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:
If he doesn't add S&H charges. S&H isn't free. $12.08 for 1 lb of
PNitrate isn't cheap for some of us retired folk.


May I suggest a pet lizard instead then? Bugs are free food.

I have 15 tanks, two large ones and a pound lasts me about 2 years.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from
http://www.teranews.com

  #52   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?


"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
...
Or http://aquaria.net/articles/plants/barr-dose/
=====================================
OK, so you buy the chemicals and "estimate." That can work I suppose.
I
bought the Seachem products. I followed the amounts on the containers
of
Excel, Iron and trace elements. The new plants still slowly faded
away......

If you're not adding KNO3 that's your problem.

=======================
I added Muriate of Potash. None of the local stores I called had
Potassium
Nitrate. The Seachem "Flourish" also contains Potash.


That's potassium chloride. It's a wonder you haven't killed everything
frankly. Who on earth told you to do this?


Killed everything? I just sold over 300 young koi and 150 goldfish this
spring. The fish are spawning and we have hundreds of new thriving fry.
The plant prop' tanks are loaded with tadpoles and it's also used in them.
I don't recall who suggested it.

At least you've found your answer. Way too much potassium and way not
enough nitrate.


Nitrate readings stay around 20 ppm so there is no lack of Nitrates.

You know it might not hurt to familiarize yourself with prior art before
attacking people successful at what you're trying to do while ignoring
their advice.


Who ignored your advice? I ordered the Excel and other "foods" I call
micronutrients from Foster & Smith. I did massive water changes and vacuumed
every inch of the gravel several times over. I removed the worst effected
leaves. I used the Vortex to polish the water.... I followed directions on
the containers - you have some nerve even suggesting I ignored advice given.

Just a thought.


It occurs to me a weekly faq of how to fertilize plants might not
be a bad idea.


--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{( ~~~~ }((((({*




  #53   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?

Nitrate readings stay around 20 ppm so there is no lack of Nitrates.

Hobby test kits are nowhere near accurate.


--
Need Mercedes parts? http://parts.mbz.org
Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff: http://mbz.org
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | http://aquaria.net http://killi.net
  #54   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
[email protected]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?

OK... I have 55g tanks and 10g tanks,... all planted. I would love the
information and where I can get cheap fertilizers without the high cost of
shipping and handling ($18 per order). Potassium nitrate is not available
in my area.


Have you tried Home Depiot , Lowes, Canadian Tire etc?
They sell stump remover.

You may want to get some ferts locally if you refuse to pay a shipping
charge, gas and running around will cost a fair amount also.

1lb or KNO3 and 1 lb of KH2PO4 and maybe some CMS+B(the trace element
dry mix which is enough to make several gallons of trace mix for 1
pound) might make that shiiping charge seem for cheap.

For 25$ or so with the shipping, you can fertilize the tank for several
years and have much better growth, thus you can send and sell the
plants easy and make up that few $ in shipping charge.

You obviously have enough $$$ to have hobbies like aquariums and plants
etc, so do not give me the poor me routine.

That's your own barrier you place on yourself there.
You have luxury items like pets, 18$ can be had by selling plants,
other things laying around if a fixed income is really the issue.

If I want something, I go get it.

But you certainly do not "need" an aquarium......nor do I...........
You can check locally, but the shipping barrier is of your own creation
and getting the ferts which are dirt cheap and last a long time will
provide the means to grow the plants much better, you just do not think
that is true is all and not worth your time/$.
Try and get the ferts of a commericial brand cheaper, you cannot do
it.They might cost less initially but after one round of dosing, there
goes the cost and you have to pay tax, extra for a pretty label and you
get 500X less ferts.

That's fine, but it's not because they are $$ on shipping.
18$ can be had many ways if the cost is an issue.
Ebay or Craig's list something.

We got brains, so putting them use to pay for something you want is not
too hard.

Our local plant club suspended memebership dues 2 years ago.
We generate all of our funds via plant sales to other clubs, local
folks, ebay, CL's, local fish societies that often do not have many
plants but pay well for them......
So membership is not an issue for new folks.

You might want to piggy back on someone else local to share on the
shipping also......

You have many options and ways to get around the $ issue.
But that's up to you..........

Regards,
Tom Barr

  #55   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Wndlen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?



Save your breath, CArol is a freaking dumbass that is not in the habit
of taking anyones suggestions. Only she knows what is best.Everyone
else is guessing and does not have a clue.



..On 29 Jun 2006 11:43:58 -0700, wrote:

OK... I have 55g tanks and 10g tanks,... all planted. I would love the
information and where I can get cheap fertilizers without the high cost of
shipping and handling ($18 per order). Potassium nitrate is not available
in my area.


Have you tried Home Depiot , Lowes, Canadian Tire etc?
They sell stump remover.

You may want to get some ferts locally if you refuse to pay a shipping
charge, gas and running around will cost a fair amount also.

1lb or KNO3 and 1 lb of KH2PO4 and maybe some CMS+B(the trace element
dry mix which is enough to make several gallons of trace mix for 1
pound) might make that shiiping charge seem for cheap.

For 25$ or so with the shipping, you can fertilize the tank for several
years and have much better growth, thus you can send and sell the
plants easy and make up that few $ in shipping charge.

You obviously have enough $$$ to have hobbies like aquariums and plants
etc, so do not give me the poor me routine.

That's your own barrier you place on yourself there.
You have luxury items like pets, 18$ can be had by selling plants,
other things laying around if a fixed income is really the issue.

If I want something, I go get it.

But you certainly do not "need" an aquarium......nor do I...........
You can check locally, but the shipping barrier is of your own creation
and getting the ferts which are dirt cheap and last a long time will
provide the means to grow the plants much better, you just do not think
that is true is all and not worth your time/$.
Try and get the ferts of a commericial brand cheaper, you cannot do
it.They might cost less initially but after one round of dosing, there
goes the cost and you have to pay tax, extra for a pretty label and you
get 500X less ferts.

That's fine, but it's not because they are $$ on shipping.
18$ can be had many ways if the cost is an issue.
Ebay or Craig's list something.

We got brains, so putting them use to pay for something you want is not
too hard.

Our local plant club suspended memebership dues 2 years ago.
We generate all of our funds via plant sales to other clubs, local
folks, ebay, CL's, local fish societies that often do not have many
plants but pay well for them......
So membership is not an issue for new folks.

You might want to piggy back on someone else local to share on the
shipping also......

You have many options and ways to get around the $ issue.
But that's up to you..........

Regards,
Tom Barr



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from
http://www.teranews.com



  #56   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Wndlen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?



Quit knocking Carols test kits, She is the pond and plant and fish
guru, so shut up sit down and pay attention to what the bitch is
telling "you."

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:34:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

Nitrate readings stay around 20 ppm so there is no lack of Nitrates.


Hobby test kits are nowhere near accurate.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from
http://www.teranews.com

  #57   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?

The other problem, Carol, is that some hobby test kits are "affected by
nitrate". Plus you have some mess of chloride ions in there.

If you look at any good gardening book it'll tell you to be very careful
tiel Potassium chloride.

Change 80% of the water in two days in a row, then fertilize properly,
which I mentioned to you last Februrary (march and april).

--
Need Mercedes parts? http://parts.mbz.org
Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff: http://mbz.org
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | http://aquaria.net http://killi.net
  #58   Report Post  
Old 29-06-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Wndlen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?



dum de dum de de dum la la lla llalalala I can't hear yu says CArol ,
I am not paying any attention says CArol , yu do not know what yur
talking about, only me, CArol, knows what the proper method and
proeceedure is....hhmmmmmmmla lalaallalllaaalllaalalalal......do what
trash 80% of my water, yu gotta be nuts I am a frugal ponder. I knoow
that is not right, lal lalalala.......





..On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:57:18 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

The other problem, Carol, is that some hobby test kits are "affected by
nitrate". Plus you have some mess of chloride ions in there.

If you look at any good gardening book it'll tell you to be very careful
tiel Potassium chloride.

Change 80% of the water in two days in a row, then fertilize properly,
which I mentioned to you last Februrary (march and april).



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from
http://www.teranews.com

  #59   Report Post  
Old 30-06-2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Pissman
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?



Just a cheap assed bitch huh Carol?
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:41:23 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ?@...բ wrote:


"Wndlen" wrote in message
.. .


Quit knocking Carols test kits, She is the pond and plant and fish
guru, so shut up sit down and pay attention to what the bitch is
telling "you."

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:34:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

Nitrate readings stay around 20 ppm so there is no lack of Nitrates.

Hobby test kits are nowhere near accurate.

==========================
So I've heard. The test kits that are accurate are hundreds of dollars,
therefore out of the question to purchase for many of us. We have to rely
on what we have, also assuming our fish are providing nitrate the plats can
use.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from
http://www.teranews.com

  #60   Report Post  
Old 30-06-2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo
 
Posts: n/a
Default Black Alge?


"Wndlen" wrote in message
...


Quit knocking Carols test kits, She is the pond and plant and fish
guru, so shut up sit down and pay attention to what the bitch is
telling "you."

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:34:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

Nitrate readings stay around 20 ppm so there is no lack of Nitrates.


Hobby test kits are nowhere near accurate.

==========================
So I've heard. The test kits that are accurate are hundreds of dollars,
therefore out of the question to purchase for many of us. We have to rely
on what we have, also assuming our fish are providing nitrate the plats can
use.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{( ~~~~ }((((({*






Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Sting Alge is comming Dude Ponds 8 21-04-2005 03:18 PM
string alge REBEL JOE Ponds 3 04-09-2003 12:02 PM
hair alge? Zach987987987 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
String Alge [email protected] Ponds 5 10-03-2003 07:12 AM
hair alge? Zach987987987 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 12-02-2003 01:19 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017